Flat Pedals

McWheels

Off the long run
I suppose this might go in Sofrider or Quest, but it's a fairly generic question.

What flat pedals are good for using with trainers (sports sneakers I think that translates as)? Bear-Trap or MTB pins? What's stock on the Quest? Not keen on clips of any kind, so appreciate any options that can be offered.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Here is a link of several choices:

https://www.amazon.com/bike-pedals/b?ie=UTF8&node=3404891

For me there are several factors I consider: I don't race, I commute by bicycle so want flexibility and simplicity (don't want to carry 2 sets of shoes!), my bikes (Q559 and QX100) both are configured with the pedals a little lower than the bike seat so gravity helps just a little bit to hold my feet on my pedals. I don't use a trainer, but some of my ramblings here may be of use.

I say gravity helps hold my feet on the pedals a little bit because if I hit a bump my feet may not stay on the pedals, but I just relax and slowly spin my feet "as if they are still on the pedals" and they usually land back on the pedals.

Unsafe maneuver at best, because if my feet don't land on the pedals I coast to slow down a little and try again! I don't know if this would be a problem on a trainer.

My current pedals are Shimano A530 which are flat on one side and SPD on the other side. I have tried clipless SPD shoes and loved the control and safety, but have not found shoes that don't hurt my feet since my feet are wider than duck feet, but I'm still looking for bike flippers!

There are many other options, on the above link and elsewhere, with both sides being flat where it would be more likely for your feet to land on a flat side of a pedal. Hope this helps.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Here is a link of several choices:

https://www.amazon.com/bike-pedals/b?ie=UTF8&node=3404891

For me there are several factors I consider: I don't race, I commute by bicycle so want flexibility and simplicity (don't want to carry 2 sets of shoes!), my bikes (Q559 and QX100) both are configured with the pedals a little lower than the bike seat so gravity helps just a little bit to hold my feet on my pedals. I don't use a trainer, but some of my ramblings here may be of use.

I say gravity helps hold my feet on the pedals a little bit because if I hit a bump my feet may not stay on the pedals, but I just relax and slowly spin my feet "as if they are still on the pedals" and they usually land back on the pedals.

Unsafe maneuver at best, because if my feet don't land on the pedals I coast to slow down a little and try again! I don't know if this would be a problem on a trainer.

My current pedals are Shimano A530 which are flat on one side and SPD on the other side. I have tried clipless SPD shoes and loved the control and safety, but have not found shoes that don't hurt my feet since my feet are wider than duck feet, but I'm still looking for bike flippers!

There are many other options, on the above link and elsewhere, with both sides being flat where it would be more likely for your feet to land on a flat side of a pedal. Hope this helps.
I too have slightly wider feet than normal, even with such a petite body of mine!

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/commuter-iv-bike-sandal
I needed Eur size 47 bike shoes and Eur 45 Keen spd sandles, WHICH can quickly be adjusted for extra width, AND for no extra cost, can be worn with no socks in summer when the feet tend to swell more!!!
AND another extra that is thrown in at no extra cost, is that they do NOT look like normal bike shoes, and is reasonably flexible so easy to walk in, so could be worn at work if in an office enviroment!
What more could you want!!!

Remember to try the sandles on with thick socks, to allow for growth.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Below is an image of my heel-clips, which I made out of toe-clips. Very easy to get my feet in and out. Power on the downstroke. Normal shoes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 35

McWheels

Off the long run
Thanks for the tips. I should have said I commute on a V2k, BB ever so slightly lower than the seat, but not by much. I have a pair of cheapo bear traps which in the dry are great, but in the wet it's a bit of a concentration epic. Feet coming off don't bother me that much, it's more the inconvenience of slowing down than a balance problem. Therefore I've got a raised eyebrow on the Ergon, does it give me something in the wet with a tennis shoe?

Other forums have proposed MTB flats with pins for better grip?

Pedal Innovations catalyst is a longer pedal. It provides a mid sole position to pedal. It has pins to hold your feet on. The pedal is designed to provide more power and stability. I can pedal at greater than 100 rims with out my feet slipping off. I also started using the 510 free rider shoes which have rubber soles to prevent slipping. I really think these pedals work great but I have not used them outside yet.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The Ergons are good unless wet then it's matter of the type of shoe and the traction

I am not sure that Ergon makes the PC2 anymore. When I look on there website product list, there is not a mention of it. Using a rubberized sole could possibly improve grip in wet conditions.

Last edited:

Tuloose

Guru
I have a similar dilemma with my Freerider.
I sometimes need the convenience of clip in type pedals when starting up on inclines.
Often I can't get enough forward momentum on the initial stroke to stay upright, in which case being able to pull back quickly on the pedal and try again is crucial to success. This problem is made even worse if there is gravel on the street causing the front wheel to slip.
I want to be able to wear street shoes when on the Freerider. I use the FR for my around town bike and I don't want to wear cleated shoes while shopping or walking the sidewalks so I have made do with Power Grips on standard rat trap pedals.
They are not the perfect solution but so far the only solution I have found that allows me to pull back the pedal if I need a 2nd chance on start up.

I agree the the Ergons are no longer available. I tried ordering a pair and they were out of stock.
Just as well since they are expensive and would not have solved my problem anyway.