Gearing upgrade advice needed

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
I knew I might end up wanting a few more gears than the one 40T ring on front. Now that I feel I can actually ride this bike and am certainly enjoying it, I need to make sure I can negotiate climbs, especially with curves, consistently. On a few local bits, I am finding that a challenge. I suspect I could overcome some of that challenge as my T50 muscles become stronger, but I do want to continue to ride the rides I am used to.

So, I did check in with the LBS for a quote for swapping the 40T front ring for a compact double, mountain bike style, or for keeping the 40T and changing the rear cassette. I just thought I would seek suggestions from all of you power users out there before I go forward.

Option 1: I was told I could go to an 8-speed 11-36 cassette as one option and keep the 40T ring.

Option 2: A 48 or 50/34 crankset (and I was quoted for an Origin8), with the SRAM 3 twist 3 speed (for a double? or maybe that is the only option), and, of course, the clamps and whatnot.

I am used to a 46/36/24 with an 11-34 cassette on my Tour Easy. With that I can climb most of what I want as long as I can keep the bike upright. The T50, like other Cruzbikes, climbs more efficiently, and I probably don't need the very smallest gear.

Any ideas of a better setup or comments on whether this is a decent setup (remembering that I am not seeking top-end components but something in line with what is already on the bike).

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
11-36 would be the easiest but least effective as it's not a big change. The 50-34 up front would be the better choice for a little more money as long as you or the installer tune it up to shift cleanly. Anything else would probably cost quite a bit more so beyond that grow a little more leg power to pick up the slack.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
If you don't want to go to a triple, then I think the 11 - 34 , with Ratz's 50 QXL (53.8 - 46.3) / 36 QXL (33.3 - 38.7), on a 150 to 140 crank!

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
I wouldn't mind a triple, but the mechanic said the double would be an easier upgrade, if I recall correctly. I asked about shorter cranks and he recommended against that too. Not sure of advantages.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
the 11-34 is 10sp?
What derailleur does it have (from the photos, it looks to be a SRAM long-cage derailleur. Is it a gx?)

Depending on the chain capacity, you could put a Sunrace MX3 11-42t cassette on for ~55.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I am used to a 46/36/24 with an 11-34 cassette on my Tour Easy. With that I can climb most of what I want as long as I can keep the bike upright. The T50, like other Cruzbikes, climbs more efficiently, and I probably don't need the very smallest gear.

I run a 48/38/22 on my Sofrider. And I use the 22 all the time. Don't fear the triple. :)