Give me your 2 cents on rear hydraulic disk brake length

Lim

On my last and only recumbent, performer 26” under-bar highracer, had front/rear mechanical disk brake, probably BB5. They extremely annoyed me all time. It made screeching noise in the middle of quite night riding and screaming scratch when in rain. Alignment was difficult and often it need re-adjustment of cable. Maybe I was not good enough self-serving mechanic.

This time I am considering hydraulic disk brake on my T-50. The very entry model, BD-M315 from Shimano is affordable, $60 for front and rear, and seem to be doing his job well. They are coming in length 1000mm and 1700mm, front and back respectively.Have any one tried the rear cable length 1700 on your T-50 or (similar shaped Quest)? Please share your findings.

I was certain that I would use 26” x 2.0” wheelset and tire on T-50 but changed my mind to 27.5” x 1.6” (38-650b) after I learned that new T-50 have a enough clearance to accommodate 27.5” x 1.5” or 27.5" x 1.75" or 700 x 28 wheels and tires from the forum. As I commute 20 miles to work place and 20 miles back home almost every day. 27.5" can save my commute time without sacrificing much of 26” stability. Luckily I am contacting one local rider nearby who put the post for selling his ‘Fulcrum Red Power with Sram XD Body’. XD body was unexpected but why not? I could use Sram 10-42 instead of common Shimano 11-42.

Brad R

On my last and only recumbent, performer 26” under-bar highracer, had front/rear mechanical disk brake, probably BB5. They extremely annoyed me all time. It made screeching noise in the middle of quite night riding and screaming scratch when in rain. Alignment was difficult and often it need re-adjustment of cable. Maybe I was not good enough self-serving mechanic.

This time I am considering hydraulic disk brake on my T-50. The very entry model, BD-M315 from Shimano is affordable, $60 for front and rear, and seem to be doing his job well. They are coming in length 1000mm and 1700mm, front and back respectively.Have any one tried the rear cable length 1700 on your T-50 or (similar shaped Quest)? Please share your findings.

I was certain that I would use 26” x 2.0” wheelset and tire on T-50 but changed my mind to 27.5” x 1.6” (38-650b) after I learned that new T-50 have a enough clearance to accommodate 27.5” x 1.5” or 27.5" x 1.75" or 700 x 28 wheels and tires from the forum. As I commute 20 miles to work place and 20 miles back home almost every day. 27.5" can save my commute time without sacrificing much of 26” stability. Luckily I am contacting one local rider nearby who put the post for selling his ‘Fulcrum Red Power with Sram XD Body’. XD body was unexpected but why not? I could use Sram 10-42 instead of common Shimano 11-42.
I am pretty sure that 1700mm won't be long enough. I was planning to use hydraulic disc brakes but I couldn't find an economical way to get a long rear brake cable.

I went with TRP Spyre brakes and I am happy with them so far.

DavidJL

Not sure what model of Shimano hydraulic brakes I have on my T50, but I had no trouble with the length for the rear brake. I understand that you can get longer hoses custom made if need be. If the handlebars were really tall, then there might be a problem. The top of my riser is right about 13 inches from the top of the head tube.

Lim

I went with TRP Spyre brakes and I am happy with them so far.

I've heard a lot of buzz that Spyre is really good, almost beat low-level hydraulic brake. I would not hesitate to take them if they are wallet-friendly. Thank you for your 2 cents

Lim

Not sure what model of Shimano hydraulic brakes I have on my T50, but I had no trouble with the length for the rear brake. I understand that you can get longer hoses custom made if need be. If the handlebars were really tall, then there might be a problem. The top of my riser is right about 13 inches from the top of the head tube.

Robert from Cruzbike said that 1700mm would be okay. I think I am gonna try it on my T-50.

Brad R

Robert from Cruzbike said that 1700mm would be okay. I think I am gonna try it on my T-50.
That is interesting. The Cruzbike team told me that 1700mm wouldn't be long enough.
I'll have to measure what I ended up with.

Brad R

I've heard a lot of buzz that Spyre is really good, almost beat low-level hydraulic brake. I would not hesitate to take them if they are wallet-friendly. Thank you for your 2 cents
I found a pair of brakes with 160mm discs and adapters for about $100 on eBay. They didn't come in TRP packaging, but it included everything. I found a nice pair of Shimano brake levers on Chain Reaction that weren't too expensive.

DavidJL

My LBS couldn't make the 160 rotor work on the front wheel with the adapters they had, so I ended up putting a 140mm on the front.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master

I've had a TRP Spyre and a TRP HY/RD on my Silvios. Seem pretty close in feel to me when dialed in.
The 'Jagwire Elite Link' cables worked best with either of these calipers, imho. The 'Jagwire Sealed Elite's which I'd mounted first did not give as crisp a feel (they were squishier).
The key to good brake feel with these appears to be good brake housing and ensuring the housing is no longer than it absolutely must be.

Oh, and also making sure that the brake tabs are clean before you mount the calipers. They're sensitive to it being mis-aligned.

Brad R

That is interesting. The Cruzbike team told me that 1700mm wouldn't be long enough.
I'll have to measure what I ended up with.
I measured my rear brake cable as installed. It is a little over 1800 mm.

My handlebars have about a 45 degree angle so that the brake cable loops up a bit and then back down along the steering extension.

If hydraulic brake cable can take sharper bends or if you use a flat bar or mount your bar lower, you might make 1700mm work.

But it will probably be close.

Lim

I measured my rear brake cable as installed. It is a little over 1800 mm.

My handlebars have about a 45 degree angle so that the brake cable loops up a bit and then back down along the steering extension.

If hydraulic brake cable can take sharper bends or if you use a flat bar or mount your bar lower, you might make 1700mm work.

But it will probably be close.

I wish my short leg, 40" x-seam with 5'8" tall, bring the handle bar a little bit down than your. Wish my 1700 mm work for T-50 not to order longer housing with bleeding kit. Thanks, Brad.

Bill K

Guru
My rear brake cable measures just under 1600 mm on the T50 (mechanical, not hydraulic but the length should be about the same).
I am using the short steering tube extension and a Velo Orange Postino handlebar.

Brad R

My rear brake cable measures just under 1600 mm on the T50 (mechanical, not hydraulic but the length should be about the same).
I am using the short steering tube extension and a Velo Orange Postino handlebar.
I am also using the Velo Orange Postino handlebar. I like it a lot.

This is my first build from scratch. I was afraid of putting bends that were too sharp in my brake cable and I had already had to buy a longer one. So I had very little incentive to make it shorter.

My green and silver frame only came with one extension. I didn't measure how long it was.

Did only the black bikes come with two different extensions or was my green and silver with one extension special?