Gravel Run

HeyMikey

Hitting the Gateway Trail!
Has anybody ridden in a gravel run/race with any model Cruzbike and what was your experience with the bike?
Set up (wheels, tires, gears)?

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I routinely ride a MUP that has a section half mile long of gravel of variables size from quarter inch to two inches. Park vehicles pack this making double track path. I ride with either 26x1.5 (on my Q3) or 559x38 (on my X100) Schwalbe Marathon Supreme rated to 95 psi but I ride at about 70 psi. On packed parts both ride very well, but when the packed track is corrupted the ride can get squirrelly if I'm going too fast (14+ mph). But I usually go about 8-10 mph in this section and have pretty good control on the packed parts. On the unpacked parts I need to slow down to avoid the squirrels:emoji_chipmunk:. The 1.5 inch tires do much better, especially at the lower air pressure. Riding in lower gears to keep cadence comfortably high helps with controll when the squirrels try to bite.

gravel.jpg

gravel2.jpg

Note: I usually ride with Panniers that are loaded with anywhere from 20 to 40 lbs (on the non-drive wheel :( ) which doesn't help. When I ride with a trunk bag with much less weight, then I keep the squirrels at bay. :)

Note2: those cacti in the first pic are trying to thumb a ride!!!o_O:p

squirrly.jpg

I'm squirly?!?!

squirels2.jpg

Oh, oh!!! Squirrels ahead!??

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Rode a 50 mile gravel run last fall on my upright and was pretty beat up by the end of it due to not putting in enough miles on it. I understand the concept of riding a recumbent off road can be more challenging due to several things such as COG, seat angle, drive train, tires, etc., but would like to entertain the idea that a recumbent is feasible for off road jaunts and still be able to keep up with a crowd of other upright riders. Thanks for the info on your rides and by the way, I grew up in Scottsdale and lived there for 30 years before moving to Minnesota......don't ask.o_O

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Emeljay said:
those cacti in the first pic are trying to thumb a ride!!!
No they are not, they are dropping their spines, the bloody buggers. They love cyclists. Best entertainment they get all day. Are they the type that drop spines in bunches that stick out like sea-urchins?

I would like to get Tannus, just to ride back and forth past those bastards. That will show 'em.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Are they the type that drop spines in bunches that stick out like sea-urchins?

No, the above are saguaros. The cactus that is reputed to drop spines in bunches and stick you, and rightly so by my own experiences, is the teddy bear cholla cactus pictured below. They seem to jump out and grab you with their porcupine like barbed spines if you get too close!

chollacactus.jpg

HeyMikey

Are they the type that drop spines in bunches that stick out like sea-urchins?

No, the above are saguaros. The cactus that is reputed to drop spines in bunches and stick you, and rightly so by my own experiences, is the teddy bear cholla cactus pictured below. They seem to jump out and grab you with their porcupine like barbed spines if you get too close!

View attachment 6252
Was near Bartlett Lake one year driving down one of the back roads and came across a gentleman who had soared off said road on his four wheeler into a sea of those little bastards. He was already being attended to by several other passerby's. I did not stop for fear of retching on everybody. It was not a pretty sight...... l

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
In my experience u can ride mbb on trails but rear wheel drive longer wheelbase with the biggest tires u can fit is a lot more fun. I think cruzbike on trails does improve road skills.

GetBent

Did my first gravel ride today. Using my "winter" tires - Specialized All Condition 700x28. The city recently opened part of a dike road that has been closed to the public for years. The gravel was new, not rolled, and looked like 3/8-. It took more power than riding on the road, and I did some fish tailing, but managed OK. My big mistake was stopping for some people who were interested in the Vendetta. I could not get going again. I felt like a cartoon character. Hold brake, push pedal hard, spin wheel, dig hole, fall over. Repeat. Again. And again.... (Yes, I am still wearing a full set of roller blade gear.) Finally, those nice people asked if I wanted a push, which I gladly accepted. Off I went. Whew! Once I got to the part that has been open for years, no problem riding, no problem stopping and starting.

HeyMikey

Did my first gravel ride today. Using my "winter" tires - Specialized All Condition 700x28. The city recently opened part of a dike road that has been closed to the public for years. The gravel was new, not rolled, and looked like 3/8-. It took more power than riding on the road, and I did some fish tailing, but managed OK. My big mistake was stopping for some people who were interested in the Vendetta. I could not get going again. I felt like a cartoon character. Hold brake, push pedal hard, spin wheel, dig hole, fall over. Repeat. Again. And again.... (Yes, I am still wearing a full set of roller blade gear.) Finally, those nice people asked if I wanted a push, which I gladly accepted. Off I went. Whew! Once I got to the part that has been open for years, no problem riding, no problem stopping and starting.
Wow! You did that on a Vendetta? I've ridden gravel roads (not on purpose) short distances on my Bacchetta Corsa with 700x23 tires, but have always pulled myself up out of the seat (I ride with it completely reclined at around 22 degrees) because it feels like the only way I will stay in control of the situation. I like to know if anybody in the group with a new S40 has tackled gravel at speed (15+ mph) and still felt like they were in fairly good control.

HeyMikey

Wow! You did that on a Vendetta? I've ridden gravel roads (not on purpose) short distances on my Bacchetta Corsa with 700x23 tires, but have always pulled myself up out of the seat (I ride with it completely reclined at around 22 degrees) because it feels like the only way I will stay in control of the situation. I like to know if anybody in the group with a new S40 has tackled gravel at speed (15+ mph) and still felt like they were in fairly good control.
Oh, one other thing.....I've never felt comfortable starting in a recline with my driving foot on the pedals. Have always started ala "Fred Flintstone".

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The one weakness of the Cruzbike idea is the front-wheel-spin. Asbury Park looks do-able for me on my Grasshopper or my Silvio, the only difference being that I would be happy to bring the Grasshopper to a halt. The secret on a Cruzbike is not to stop.

I’ve got a few optional gravel sections on some of the trails I ride, I usually skip them unless I’m on a MTB or the EZ-1 I used to have which had Big Apple tires. However, I will sometimes ride them on a skinny tire recumbent just to see how it feels. Honestly, it’s been fine on the V20, M5 CHR, and Carbent, all with 700x25 or 28 tired. No problems at all besides getting the bike dirtier than usual. Wouldn’t want to go too fast on any of them, probably keep it around 15mph, maybe a bit brisker. Maybe I should do that more often, but I don’t like the gravel slowing down my average speed...