handlebar recommendations?

Frank Costantini

I have a T50 with the Origin 8 handlebars (Space OR Offroad) and my wrist is starting to hurt after extended rides, due to the nearly horizontal hand position. I'd like to find a bar end (or if necessary, a new handlebar) so I can switch to a more neutral hand position (thumbs up) sometimes. I would probably place the bar ends pointing down, as the handlebar is already fairly high.

Since the handlebars are pointed down slightly (looks like about 20 degrees below horizontal), it looks like most bar ends would point 20 degrees inward, an awkward angle.

Does anyone know of a bar end that would work well on these handlebars? Alternatively, what other handlebars would work well on the T50 and give a choice of different hand positions?

Brad R

I have Velo Orange Postino bars. They are mounted so that the hand section is near vertical so that I don’t have to bend my wrists.

The angle of the hand section is about 45 degrees which I find comfortable and my hands don’t slide off or have to work hard to stay on.

The Postino bars are zero rise bars. Are your bars oriented similarly but the angle of the hand section is too horizontal? Can you improve it by rotating your bars?4FA3B2F1-7B87-4D82-A83B-FB4E8B6E6D02.jpeg

FFE72713-42B0-4A91-9EEA-E76E7724C477.jpeg

DavidJL

I experimented with straight bars, but found it much better to have the ends sloping down. I am using an Origin8 city bike bar on the T50. Would be nice if Origin8 bars had a shot-peened finish.

Brad R

I ended up getting a Soma Oxford handlebar

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TJB0CVS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s a MTB type bar, so I could transfer my brake levers and shifters and grips from the original Origin 8 handle bar that came with the T50. Grip area is much more vertical than the original handlebar, which I find more comfortable so far. Steering seems fine, also.View attachment 5927

Thanks for letting us know. How wide is the bar? I think I looked at it and was concerned about (1) whether there would be enough room for my thighs and (2) whether my hands would want to slide off of the vertical hand holds.

That is why I went with the 45 degree Postino bars.

Frank Costantini

Tthe Soma Oxford handlebar is about 22” wide, about 2 or 2 1/2 “ narrower than the orinal handlebars. The Oxford has more vertical clearance than the originals. I don’t feel like my hands will slide off, they are at a comfortable height.

rx7mark

Guru
FYI, I just changed from a WALD 8095 Touring bar with an adjustable stem, to the Soma Gator bars with a fixed short stem that is reversed (facing aft). I really like the change, this lowered and extended my reach to the bars. I was feeling like my hand position was too high and too close to my body. The Gator bars let me get the same knee clearance with about a 3 inch drop to the grip location, and the grips moved 2-3 inches forward to help give me a more relaxed arm position.

As a side benefit, I had not realized how much flex the adjustable stem was adding, now my steering feels much more precise, and I am much more confident of my position on the rode relative to obstacles. Here are pics of my bike with the old bars, and Doug Klines bike with the Gator bars. Doug's pictures are what led me to make the change, thanks Doug!
T50 with old bars.jpg T50 with New bars.jpg

Mark

Rumbleseat

I also ordered the Soma Gator bars based on Doug's pics. I haven't got the bike assembled yet, but I hope the bars work well.