Has anyone tried a CruzBike "fixie?"

NeaL

Guru
I'm recently learning that these things known as "fixies" exist; a single front and "rear" gear (diamond frame configuration) and the rear gear is fixed to the rear wheel so that there's no coasting and can even be ridden backwards.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has tried to equip a CruzBike as a fixie and maybe even try riding it backwards.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
I'm sure there is someone out there who could ride a Cruzbike fixie backwards, but I've never seen or heard of her. I've ridden a standard fixie, but it's not my cup of tea. I like to coast with my feet quietly resting on the pedals.

I have seen an E-bay home build Cruzbike lookalike that was a fixie. Seller said he was intending to fit gears but didn't get round to it.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Rode a fixie for about 5 min, decided a Hill was a good test of my newfound skill, it bucked me off like a rented stuntman, cracked my foot, and helmet.

10 min later I was home - walking.
15 min later I swapped it back to freewheel.
10 months later I gave it to my cousin.

I like to try things but fixies don’t hold my interest.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Fixies, as far as I know, are popular with messengers in towns.
Since there are no brakes, derailleurs, cables or freewheel to maintain or fail, a fixie is dependable.
Also, messengers are fearless.

One day, the cable to my rear derailleur broke, limiting me to two top gears.
That taught me how stiff the front end of the Vendetta really is, powering it uphill, "standing" on the pedals.

Fixies are for kids.
...Unless you like them, of course!

In the UK, a fixie must have at least one independent brake as well as the fixed wheel - someone is currently serving some jail time after knocking over and killing a pedestrian in London while riding an non-road legal fixie (track bike)

Lief

Guru Schmuru
In the UK, a fixie must have at least one independent brake as well as the fixed wheel - someone is currently serving some jail time after knocking over and killing a pedestrian in London while riding an non-road legal fixie (track bike)
I think the rules are same/similar in US - tho individual municipalities might have more/less stringent rules

In nearly all cases those rules are applied unevenly by enforcement; they often ticket for legal behavior and often don’t ticket for illegal behavior. Bike setup (e.g., lights, brakes) is notorious for the latter.

I should also mention a primary reason for trying my SS/Fixie was the low-maintenance features - they didn’t pan out quite as low as I’d hoped; partly related to overall bike quality.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Cruzbike fixie is insane. SS coaster is simple and safe. Have ridden db fixie in the past for training with a few close calls but no crashes. Got older and wiser.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I've got an aero fixie. It's different. A lot lighter but still not as aero as a Vendetta. If you haven't got motor assist on your fixie cruzbike forget it. You might be able to start on a hill in very easy gear ratio but you will be severely limited in its top speed. I burn more calories on my fixie...

Vendetta great for abs unless you have a steeper inclined seat as standard.

Where I live it's flat with only small inclines. I have a 50t upfront and a 17t sprocket.

I have an emergency front brake that is situated on the centre of the dropbars.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
You also find fixies in ciclocross and steep hill races. I am attracted to the aero capabilities. 120mm frame dropout size is a lot less than 135mm. Pinion also do a crank gearbox that would fit a 120mm dropout frame size. So how about a s40 with 120mm frame dropout with pinion compatibility? (another dream)

Lief

Guru Schmuru
continuing the side note into unicycles: I once met a guy who knew how to unicycle. I saw him hop on my Cruzbike the first time and ride away seemingly unimpeded by all the strange forces we typically encounter in our learning stages.
I reasoned that because I was a "no-hands expert" on my Silvio that the skill would transfer to unicycling quite easy.

The scars on my shins still remind me to be humble in this regard. Maybe some skills will transfer some-day...but I'll venture for *most people* this particular skill overlap is a one-way street.

Rampa

Guru
I've always thought of Cruzbikes as evolved penny-farthings. Front wheel driven with seat mounted to the trailing part.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I've always thought of Cruzbikes as evolved penny-farthings. Front wheel driven with seat mounted to the trailing part.

That's not an evolutionary step? More like an evolutionary pole jump. Or a human-guided multi-step process in creation and design of a whole new animal! Who says genetic engineering is bad? Works for Cruzbikes! Maybe hoo-mans are a little different animals. ;)

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master