Hawkeye Downs HPRA Weekend 2016

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
On a rather Spur of the Moment idea, it looks like PluckyBlond and I will be venturing down to Race at Hawkeye Downs HPRA Weekend on Sept 17th. 2016. Http://midwesthpv.blogspot.com

We'll run the V20's in they unfair 1 hour, the flying TT, lap race and the drag race. This is not really the type of event we are trained up for this year as most of our stuff has been long distance training this year; but what the heck there's a enough time 6.5 weeks to lay in some 40k. TT training.

Should be able fun to strip the bikes down; probably 8 lbs lighter and let them run on a closed track.

So 3 questions.

1) Anyone know if there is anything special that needs to be done for an HPRA race other than show up register and have the bikes pass inspection?

2) Anyone ridden this event in the past?

3) Anyone in the middle of the country want to join in for the weekend?

Frankly not sure we'll do all that good, but it'll fun to just do it and see where we stand in the crowd.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Things needed; nothing you don't already have or use:
Helmet with certification sticker they can see
left, right mirrors (handlebar or hand mounted)
working front and rear brakes
tires with air.

There is a quick "safety" inspection before the races that you must go through and pass - they will put a small sticker on your bike.

You'll have a great time and see many really cool home-make recumbents and streamliners!
Wish I could go - but 13 hours each way is just too far to ride a 1 hour TT.

Mount your video cameras to you bikes so we can "ride with you" after the fact!

ratz

Some times you have to bring you own corn cob to Iowa......
New rubber for the wheels and the bikes will be ready
The engines are still under development.

IMG_5581.jpg

ratz

Second in men's horse shoe lap race and I should have some nice video of all the rapid fire passing and dodging. PluckyBlond took the women first place. By the time of the 1 lap drag race we were goofing off and I bowed out to Daryl on his vendetta whose was riding with way more heart than me. He took second and it took a streamliner to beat him as they both race the last lap on zero recovery.

Better details is a report to follow.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

ratz

Here is something to hold you over until I can find enough time to write an event report.

This is the 20 Lap Horse Shoe Race from Sunday morning. The course was fun.

It took some time to get the feel for the traction on the course and the lines everyone was picking; and figuring out if I could cut the inbound horseshoe corner without catching air. The front wheel drive was definitely at an advantage with the ability pull the bike through the corner; out of 40 corners at speed only one was sketchy 3 laps from the end when I got a full drift and almost went down.

At the video time mark of 10:17am I couldn't wait for anyone else to go after Dennis; but by then it was already too late. I gapped the chase group; but Dennis had settled into his monster steady state and he got ahead of the people we were about to lap before the hairpins. It was several laps before I didn't have to wait in the tight turns for slower groups, Game over. I should have gone a lap sooner and grabbed his wheel. When I finally cleared the traffic and I couldn't see him I settled in to see if he'd make a mistake in one of the turns. I was pretty sure that if I didn't make a mistake then I probably had 2nd place locked up since I had a similar traffic gap on Warren and he'd have to do a lot of great turns to catch back up.

Sometimes the race is over early; I say this one decided on laps 4 and 5.

RAR, that is a piece of tubing I have added to the boom to allow me to mount mu headlight in front of my feet. 1 old inner tube wrapped around the boom to protect the paint, three hose clamps, 3/4" tubing and a tee fitting on the end. also doubles as a way to keep the bike up when not in use. I get a lot of questions about this. Ratz, it was great meeting you guys this weekend. hopefully next year I can be in better shape to complete and not race in pain the entire time.

SteveJW

What a great showing.

I'm loving the Vendetta Action Photos - especially the last one posted! I'm guessing the stars in that photo are Ratz and PluckBlond?

(Patiently waiting on full report...) :cool:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
What a great showing.

I'm loving the Vendetta Action Photos - especially the last one posted! I'm guessing the stars in that photo are Ratz and PluckBlond?

(Patiently waiting on full report...) :cool:
Don't hold your breath until it arrives!!!