Headache from riding V

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I have got V20 for 3 months. I love the bike but I haven't found correct headrest setting material for this 3 months. I don't understand how can anyone ride the bike for hours with original seat/headrest. I get headache or pain into neck and shoulders muscles or both after few hours on bike.
When I setup headrest medium/long I ride most time with head on it because I cannot hold it up by muscles. So this causes me headache from road shocks. When I setup it short It ends with neck/shoulders muscles pain. For most time I hold head off headrest because I simply cannot leave it on headrest without neck muscles activated when I am pedaling.
So simple question is, how to setup headrest correctly?

I know that some of you are using Volae seat and Aden headrest, but It is really expensive for me. Majority of V riders are probably using original seat so there have to be some way to setup it correctly to avoid my pains. I have seen thread "The Road to 500 miles in 24hrs" and followed headrest settings recommendation with short settings but it doesn't work for me.

I think that problem is that there is not any support for shoulder on original CB seat. I am used to classical recumbent seat with support/curve for shoulder that may be used without any headrest. I can ride my another recumbent with this classical seat for days without neck/head pains. So I see this as huge design mistake on V.

I have started adding shoulders support to original seat. I am using glued layers of Coroplast to create proper curve under my shoulders. I have made first prototype, but I have't ridden it yet. I will add some photos later. I hope that this will solve my problems without investing huge money for new seat.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
The headrest is a problem for a lot of us. Before you spend a lot of money and time try what seems to be working for me. I made my headrest thicker and wider than the stock HR. Then I made a movable second button that slides up and down the headrest. I simply reach back on the fly and adjust it when needed. It's working for me.
photo-68.gif

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
The headrest is a problem for a lot of us. Before you spend a lot of money and time try what seems to be working for me. I made my headrest thicker and wider than the stock HR. Then I made a movable second button that slides up and down the headrest. I simply reach back on the fly and adjust it when needed. It'
I would say that I need headrest to be lower than stock. But I don't want to cut it. Maybe I will do it but it is my last chance.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I cut my headrest well before these last changes. I'm not positive it made any difference. There are times I wish I hadn't cut it as it gives me more attachment areas. One of the first things to do when the new v arrives is put the headrest on Moose with my wider /thickers cushions.

I was afraid to cut it too, but it was easier than I thought it would be (and I did it without pictures - I just had Doug's brief instructions on this thread. I did it because my I wanted my head lower, and I wanted to try Mr. Steve's Inflatable Headrest Cushion - but I knew there was no way I could do that without lowering the headrest first.

I've put a few hundred miles on mine now and it works well. I still have to lift my head for the really rough spots in the road, but if it's only slightly rough, I don't lift my head anymore. So it definitely helped me. And I was able to remove all of the extra padding that I had previously added to the seat, so I'm slightly more aero and lighter now.

If you are afraid of cutting your headrest tube because you might not like the result - send an email to Robert, he can probably sell you one to cut up. He sold one to me for $40. The only other things I had to buy were some J-B Weld 2-part epoxy, a tube, and some rubber cement. The whole project was less than $60.

For the head rest cushion, I cut a length of 1-3/8 inner tube long enough to go up the headrest and back down, glued it shut with rubber cement, folded and clamped the glued part overnight, folded it one more time and taped it down with electrical tape, then very slightly inflated the tube (just enough to give it shape). I put the tube folded like an 'n' in between the 2 pieces of foam that came with the bike. It keeps its shape nicely that way and is much softer than before.

Snilard, if you aren't sure, another thing you can do is try making the tube-cushion first and see how it feels. If you like it, then you could proceed with the headrest cutting.

I didn't take any photos of my process of doing this, but here are some photos of the finished result:

You can see where the cut/paste line is. I cut out a 2-inch section, then cut a slit out of it, and squeezed it with pliers until it would fit inside. I also put a bunch of 2-part epoxy in there. I epoxied the 2-inch cut pieces inside the bottom tubes first, then let the epoxy dry, then put the tubes into the bike and clamped them down into the right place, then epoxied the top part of the headrest tube to the 2-inch pieces that were sticking out of the bottom tubes. Once dried, it feels just as sturdy as it did before I cut it.
image4.JPG

That's the old headrest tube in the background for comparison.
image2.JPG

Here are the original Cruzbike cushions with the inner tube in between them.
image3.JPG

And here's the cushion installed on the bike. There is a little "extra" cushion that extends beyond the metal headrest tube now, but it's not a problem.
image1.JPG

I hope this helps.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I have shortened my headrest by 5 cm. My procedure was nearly same as John Dorlon's. I cutted 5 cm part, I filed off paint, cutted slit and glued all parts together in one step. I used 2 part epoxy with metal filler.
I have tested it today on night ride. It will need more work with position and cushion. I use same material as Ventisit but thicker and softer for cushion .
So I have question. Where do your headrest touches your neck / head?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The inner tube was the biggest difference but the shortening of the headrest tubing was equally important. If you feel for the protruding bump at the back of your head which would be the lower part of your skull then run your finger down your neck until you feel your first protruding vertebrae you find there's about 5-7" of space there. The cushioning of my headrest which is the inner tube in my case only contacts the upper 2/3 of that 5-7" space. If you read my race report for the road to 500 miles I mentioned how that top vertebrae was touching something so we added more padding under my upper back to get that vertebrae into the air.

Try the inner tube idea. I kind of rolled my eyes at it when it was first suggested but it really did make a big difference.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
The inner tube was the biggest difference but the shortening of the headrest tubing was equally important. If you feel for the protruding bump at the back of your head which would be the lower part of your skull then run your finger down your neck until you feel your first protruding vertebrae you find there's about 5-7" of space there. The cushioning of my headrest which is the inner tube in my case only contacts the upper 2/3 of that 5-7" space. If you read my race report for the road to 500 miles I mentioned how that top vertebrae was touching something so we added more padding under my upper back to get that vertebrae into the air.
Can You take photo of Your setup and of You on the bike, please?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm pretty sure I posted a bunch of side shots of me on the bike with the purpose of solving my headrest issue in the road to 500 miles thread but I don't think I followed up with any after the inner tube mod.

I try and get a few more with the current setup.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
On my Vendetta 1.5, the headrest tubes are clamped to the back of the aluminum seat pan.
On this bike, I lowered the headrest with shims which accomplished the same thing that Trplay,
John Dorlon, RojoRacing and now Snilard have done by cutting sections of tubing: Lowering the headrest.
The air spring/air mattress neck rest conforms to your body very well and really does do an exceptional job damping out road vibrations.
Good luck!

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
One more question. What tube do you use for headrest? Narrow or thick? Ultralight or normal?

One more question. What tube do you use for headrest? Narrow or thick? Ultralight or normal?
I used this tube to go in the headrest. I wanted something thick enough so that I only had to fold it once (like an 'n') not 3 times (like a 'M') inside the headrest : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XEX66S

If I did it over, the only thing I would do different is try to find a tube with a shorter valve. This one isn't a problem, but shorter would be better.

Maria Parker

Administrator
I've had to shorten all my headrests. Once they are short, I have added cushioning where I needed it, and in one case used an airbladder from a child's inflatable arm band used for swimming. I just put a tiny bit of air in it and that seems to help a lot even for the giant potholes I occasionally run into here in Robeson County. We hope to have an adjustable headrest available as an accessory sometime before the year is out. I'm sorry for your frustration snilard.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
We hope to have an adjustable headrest available as an accessory sometime before the year is out.
Adjustable headrest and seat with shoulders support in 3 or 4 different lengths are must to make Vendetta perfect racing recumbent. I have some DYI skills and possibilities but majority of European (especially western) customers want bike that can be adjusted just by hex wretch without any cutting and drilling. I was waiting with shortening headrest so long because I was afraid of damaging such pricey bike. This is little bit strange for me that Americans are not afraid of drilling holes to main hydroformed frame. I would never do it.

I'm sorry for your frustration snilard.
Thank you. I am used that any recumbent is not perfect. My homebuilt recumbent would be perfect for brevet riding if it would be bit faster. But cannot be used for hard training and riding because of recumbent butt. Azub recumbents are easily adjustable with a lot of possible accessories however they are everything but fast. M5 recumbents are made for Dutch people and average Dutch has at least 10 cm longer legs than me. Every brand and type has some drawbacks.
I strongly believe in recumbents and Vendetta superiority. So such problem will not stop me. I am just careful with investing money in things that may help but also may not help. I have limited budget. Vendetta works, that is obvious, so after year of dreaming I bought it. But with seat it is not so obvious.
Different seat for my V would be no brainer if there would be easy way without drilling to frame how to mount it. Thor seats made by our Polish neighbors are not expensive.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Different seat for my V would be no brainer if there would be easy way without drilling to frame how to mount it. Thor seats made by our Polish neighbors are not expensive.
Snilard, I use a Volae seat, Ventisit pad, and ADEM headrest, and I did not have to drill the frame to mount the seat. I did have to drill one hole each in the two "wings" that stick out to the left and right of the frame at the bottom (forward) area, under where my butt goes, due to the design of the seat and the mismatched location of the standard holes. I used rubber blocks (per Rick Youngblood's design) and wire ties except in the bottom (forward) part of the seat, where I used two bolts. It works perfectly. I suspect you also could mount your seat of choice and headrest without drilling the frame. My seat is extremely comfortable and aesthetically pleasing.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I did not have to drill the frame to mount the seat. I did have to drill one hole each in the two "wings" that stick out to the left and right of the frame at the bottom
The wings are part of frame in my understanding of world. And it is not oversized so I am super afraid to drill here. I will drill it only in case that shortened headrest will not work for me.