How to Humiliate a group of carbon DFs Singlehanded!!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
This guy is just amazing!! Nail biting stuff! Watch and be impressed!

B.t..w it's a carbon DIY MBB recumbent, similar seat angles to a Silvio but a much lower bottom bracket, which explains the climbing. He explains somewhere else. Its about 11Kg

This is a picture of an older version. He keeps modifying it:
marco-ruga-v-maxresdefault-jpg.5118

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I enjoyed watching. Sure it's a bit of a battle. I don't think he was riding a vendetta as he his head was a little high. If he had narrower bars , lower head and tighter jersey it wouldn't have been over in flash :rolleyes:

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
.... . If he had narrower bars , lower head and tighter jersey it wouldn't have been over in flash :rolleyes:

I don't think one can generate that much power uphill on narrower bars. Even LarryOz was using wider bars for RAAM.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Only because he was told to. Can't have him falling down in that race. :rolleyes:
Haha. how true.
But yes, the wide bars did help a little on the climbs like Wolf Creek Pass, we were at about 11,000'.
I just put the narrow bars back on . I will be riding in the UMCA's 6-hour Championship this Saturday.
The event is Big Jay's Fat Ass in Mahomet, IL.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Interesting MMB bike.
I would be a little concerned about the flimsy looking "chain-stay". It does not look like it could handle too much power or lateral force.
I also think it would be a little harder to make power with my feet so low.
But he seems to be able to ride it just fine.
Agree with David - It might have been over in a few seconds if he had been on a Vendetta! :)

Kenneth Jessett

Just for me being new to riding recumbents:

David, can you explain this comment: "If he had narrower bars , lower head and tighter jersey it wouldn't have been over in flash"

Ak: and this one: "I don't think one can generate that much power uphill on narrower bars"

Thanks.

Ken.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
This is a picture of an older version. He keeps modifying it:
Interesting design. If that is indeed a pivot at the base of the seat and adjustment slots at the back, look at how how far his seat can be reclined from the shown position.

Presumably combined with a commiserate raising of the bottom bracket but I can't tell if the front seat lip would dig into the back of his thighs too much and if the handlebars could/would be in a usable position with a max recline.

-Eric

Reactions: joy

DavidCH

Just for me being new to riding recumbents:

David, can you explain this comment: "If he had narrower bars , lower head and tighter jersey it wouldn't have been over in flash"

Ak: and this one: "I don't think one can generate that much power uphill on narrower bars"

Thanks.

Ken.
Some hills just go on and on. It's best just to sit back and keep the cadence going... from the video it looked as though Marco's arms are wider than they need to be. Eventually every climb gets to a descent and then everything works better if it's aero. I am actually quite impressed with his bike. It would have to be a lot lighter than a V for sure. Anyone knows how light his bike is?

Last edited:

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
It's not purely carbon but has steel and aluminum parts joined and wrapped in carbon. The one he rides in this video has a more straight, thicker carbon wrapped boom like a V or Silvio. Somewhere in the Italian recumbent forums he States it's about 11kg. He is also a fairly tall guy hence the lower bb.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
... from the video it looked as though Marco's arms are wider than they need to be. Eventually every climb gets to a decent and then everything works better if it's aero. I am actually quite impressed with his bike. It would have to be a lot lighter than a V for sure. Anyone knows how light his bike is?
Action cameras have a wide angle lense which can give the wrong impression.
His bars look like standard 42 or 44cm df drop bars. He states elsewhere that it weighs about 11kg.

DavidCH

Action cameras have a wide angle lense which can give the wrong impression.
His bars look like standard 42 or 44cm df drop bars. He states elsewhere that it weighs about 11kg.
I hadn't thought of camera angle. If his bars are 42cm, it would be ideal unless your name is @LarryOz

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Interesting MMB bike.
I would be a little concerned about the flimsy looking "chain-stay". It does not look like it could handle too much power or lateral force.
I also think it would be a little harder to make power with my feet so low.
But he seems to be able to ride it just fine.
Agree with David - It might have been over in a few seconds if he had been on a Vendetta! :)

I'd be more concerned about those stays collapsing after one of my incidents where I suddenly get airborne at 50 mph or when hard braking over stutter bumps when the rear wheel starts to float :lol

jond

Zen MBB Master
Cool . Loved the recognition factor they must be good friends by now. Vendettas can't be beat. Scientifically. Cyclists unite. It's fun. ;)