Hydration options for T50

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
I am stymied and using options that aren't working the best for me. The best would be a Camelbak type arrangement, but I can't figure out how to hang one off the bike. I do have a waistpack but the bladder is long gone and finding a replacement hasn't happened yet.

The Cruzbike water bottle cage did not hold my bottle securely and a bottle fell out. I put a small bottle in it today with Gatorade and it stayed, so it might work for that.

Otherwise, today I put a bottle in each side pocket of my Cruzbike recumbent-specific jersey, but that is not optimum and I have to stop to use two hands to remove and replace the bottle.

I am still waiting for parts to be able to install my rack and I am hoping that might help with things like carrying a tire pump and whatall, but for now I have to hang a bag off the seat to carry tools and tubes and such. Even at that, any Camelbak I have around here that I used with a DF bike is too long and would hit the rear wheel. Even the small one that I have is too long.

So, what are you all doing when it is 100 degrees and you ride 50-80 miles so that you don't die of thirst or have to stop regularly to hydrate?

I haven't set up a T50 yet, but if it helps, I used a Camelbak 2L Unbottle on my V20 and a 3L Stowaway on my S40. Here's some photos I have on hand. I basically just sewed 2 inch non-sticky velcro on the Camelbak and used sticky 2 inch velcro (hook side) on the seat. If it fits, the Stowaway is much better since you can easily slide the bladder in and out of the insulated pack without taking the pack off the bike. I haven't taken detailed pictures of the Stowaway on the S40, but you get the idea. I just rode 560 miles with it this past week and it is working well.

The main thing you need to pay attention to is keeping it away from the tire. You can see some abrasion where earlier attempts last year didn't fully work.

2017-06-19_00002.JPG

2017-06-19_00001.JPG

2017-06-19_00003.JPG

2017-06-19_00004.JPG

2017-06-19_00005.JPG

P7170364s.JPG

Vicki C.

I haven't set up a T50 yet, but if it helps, I used a Camelbak 2L Unbottle on my V20 and a 3L Stowaway on my S40. Here's some photos I have on hand. I basically just sewed 2 inch non-sticky velcro on the Camelbak and used sticky 2 inch velcro (hook side) on the seat. If it fits, the Stowaway is much better since you can easily slide the bladder in and out of the insulated pack without taking the pack off the bike. I haven't taken detailed pictures of the Stowaway on the S40, but you get the idea. I just rode 560 miles with it this past week and it is working well.

The main thing you need to pay attention to is keeping it away from the tire. You can see some abrasion where earlier attempts last year didn't fully work.

View attachment 5157

View attachment 5158

View attachment 5159

View attachment 5160

View attachment 5161

View attachment 5162

Thanks for the suggestion. The seat stays on the T50 make that arrangement a bit more difficult but I had not thought of using Velcro. I am trying right now things around the house and remembered a raggedy two-bottle waist pack I had around. I think that my bottles will stay in the holders and it has enough room to hold my tools and tubes. I also was able to secure my mini pump to it. That is something I also hope to affix to the rack once I can install it.

Vicki C.

I hung an old waist pack with two bottle holders and plenty of room for my tubes and such from the T50 today and the bottles stayed in. A small bottle seems to stay in the Cruzbike bottle holder that I attached, although it is not very snug and has very little "bottom" to it. It is not pretty and I can't pull and replace the bottles while riding in order to drink, but it relieved me from the need to carry bottles in my pockets. This particular waist pack costs about $10 at Walmart and come with two bottles, although they are small ones. I have not yet mounted my pump and it bounces and is noisy when I am riding, but for now at least it is possible to carry it. Hopefully it will go on the rack once that is installed. I tried to attach a photo but it was too large. Next time.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I hung an old waist pack with two bottle holders and plenty of room for my tubes and such from the T50 today and the bottles stayed in. A small bottle seems to stay in the Cruzbike bottle holder that I attached, although it is not very snug and has very little "bottom" to it. It is not pretty and I can't pull and replace the bottles while riding in order to drink, but it relieved me from the need to carry bottles in my pockets. This particular waist pack costs about $10 at Walmart and come with two bottles, although they are small ones. I have not yet mounted my pump and it bounces and is noisy when I am riding, but for now at least it is possible to carry it. Hopefully it will go on the rack once that is installed. I tried to attach a photo but it was too large. Next time.

The goto bottle cage for BIG bottles on a Cruzbike is the Lezyne Flow
http://www.lezyne.com/product-botcg-flowcage.php#.WXUPr6vMxGw

Usually, you can find them for < $10 they will hold anything snug and once you get used to them it's easy in and out; but there is a curve to learn as the bottle tilt into place when full of water.

Jeremy S

Dude
@ratz turned me on to the Lezyne Flow cages, which work great. No bottle ejections since I got them.

He also turned me on to FLEXR remote hydration, which is basically a hose hydration system with that uses regular bottles instead of a bladder, so if you've figured out how to mount bottles, you're set. The capacity I have isn't great (two moderately sized bottles), but it is great to drink easily while riding, and my usual routes have places to stop for water. I'm not sure if the company still exists though. Their website (https://www.flexrsports.com) seems to be dead, and their products are listed on other sites as "clearance".

ratz

@ratz turned me on to the Lezyne Flow cages, which work great. No bottle ejections since I got them.

He also turned me on to FLEXR remote hydration, which is basically a hose hydration system with that uses regular bottles instead of a bladder, so if you've figured out how to mount bottles, you're set. The capacity I have isn't great (two moderately sized bottles), but it is great to drink easily while riding, and my usual routes have places to stop for water. I'm not sure if the company still exists though. Their website (https://www.flexrsports.com) seems to be dead, and their products are listed on other sites as "clearance".

Yeah Flexr went under was a good product. Mostly using the Aero trunk now; but still have that setup for the Silvio.

Vicki C.

Usually, you can find them for < $10 they will hold anything snug and once you get used to them it's easy in and out; but there is a curve to learn as the bottle tilt into place when full of water.

I like the look and price is right. Do they fit attached to the back of the seat? I didn't have enough room to top load the cage with a bottle. But I will check that out and the bottle tops with drinking tubes.

Suz

I do almost the same thing as Doug with my camelbak. Works great with a work badge holder to pull the tube to drink and release it when your finished. I'll have to find a picture. Got the idea from this forum.

ratz

I like the look and price is right. Do they fit attached to the back of the seat? I didn't have enough room to top load the cage with a bottle. But I will check that out and the bottle tops with drinking tubes.
Bottle goes in at a 45 degree angle and rotates into place locking it in. Once you figure that out they are a breeze to use behind the seat.

Vicki C.

I looked these up and just to be clear, they are top-load, right? They look good, but I am not sure I can top-load a large bottle.
Bottle goes in at a 45 degree angle and rotates into place locking it in. Once you figure that out they are a breeze to use behind the seat.

Okay, I just read the article that described how the bottle goes in. I think this might work with a drinking tube, which I am ordering, as well, so that I can just mount the bottles and not have to remove and replace while riding.

Vicki C.

I've been using the TerraCycle "Fastback" system for many years. Currently fitted to my V2/k 'daily driver'. I'll see if I can snag a pic or two of the current installation.

http://t-cycle.com/fastback-hydrati...c-6_38/fastback-70ls-hydration-pack-p-87.html

View media item 314View media item 315View media item 316

The only thing I can see that might make a difference with something like this is having to mount it to the side because of the seat stays. But I think my bike shop actually carries this one. He held one up to the T50 and was trying to figure a way to mount it.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
The only thing I can see that might make a difference with something like this is having to mount it to the side because of the seat stays. But I think my bike shop actually carries this one. He held one up to the T50 and was trying to figure a way to mount it.
I'll pull mine and hang it on the T50 this weekend as a demo, if you want. I think it would hang nicely from the middle of the seat-stay spreader and then angle in to the bottom of the seat. Should fit very nicely. On my Baron, I tied it to the headrest at the peak of the seat and then strapped it to the seat as usual...hung right down the middle very comfortably. It also might tie to the stay mount (where it bolts to the seat) and then get strapped to the back of the seat, more on center. I'll play with it and see what I can come up with. Mine is an old model, won't hold the 3l bladder.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Ok, I demounted the TerraCycle "Fastback" bag from the V2/k and remounted to the T50. Match made in heaven, really. Fits right in the middle, no problem. I tied the top strap to the top bar of the seat stays and then wrapped the middle straps around the seat. The bottom strap went nicely around the frame.
View media item 320View media item 319View media item 318View media item 317I also looked at the 3l size "Mil-spec" Camelbak bladder and it looks like it will fit in the same space, no problem. I don't know if the latest "Fastback" is designed around the 3L mil-spec bladder...but the bare bladder will fit. Just need a bag for it and you've got plenty of water!

Vicki C.

That looks pretty nifty. I will check into one of those! My waist pack with the bottles was doable and I could drink while I rode, but it is not an elegant solution. Thank you for taking the time to show me!

Vicki C.

I will be trying out the Lezyne Flow cages today. With the drinking tube adaptation for my bottles, it might work for now. At least I also know that if I needed to carry more than that, that there are bladder options available.

And now my biking buddy is back.

2017 T50 seat for ratz-151323.JPG