I cut the boom

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Hey, I like that! Not as well as this:
image.jpeg
But I like it. 2 questions-- does that orientation of the Crononero bar make it hard to get your arms as straight as you'd like without interfering with leg clearance?
What brake levers are you using?
KM

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The problem for me was not leg-clearance, but chest-clearance. At the moment I think I have solved it, after 100 miles.

The bars in your picture are good, but the boom still protrudes backwards from the bar-ends. With my bars, the boom hardly protrudes at all.

I am not comfortable with a protruding boom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 51

Jeremy S

Dude
The bars in your picture are good, but the boom still protrudes backwards from the bar-ends. With my bars, the boom hardly protrudes at all.

I am not comfortable with a protruding boom.

I'm a little confused by this. The end of the boom is where the horizontal section of the handlebars clamps. Its position should be determined by thigh clearance. Therefore chest clearance should be the same for drop bars, straight bars, or bullhorns. The only difference between those bars should be where your hands end up, how much arm bend you have, etc.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I'm a little confused by this. The end of the boom is where the horizontal section of the handlebars clamps. Its position should be determined by thigh clearance. Therefore chest clearance should be the same for drop bars, straight bars, or bullhorns. The only difference between those bars should be where your hands end up, how much arm bend you have, etc.

If you want more chest room then a longer chain stay is required OR shorter cranks.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
The slider is the part the handlebars attach to. The boom is the other part. Pedantic I know.

The bar ends are forward of the handlebar flats (same position as the rider end of the slider) for my preference, for the same reason they're forward of the flats on bikes where they handle bars are 'upside right': to provide planty of thigh clearance while allowing my arms to be as extended as I want them to be. I still have plenty of chest clearance even with the Garmin and mirrors.

I like the way you have the Crononero bars mounted but I don't think they would give me enough thigh clearance if I had good arm extension and enough chest clearance. Different solutions for different body types, I guess.
I missed your mention of the Hy-rd levers. Nice!
When your hands are on your shifters, are they above shoulder level?
Ride far, ride fast, one and all!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
You have understood it. Maybe it is because I ride on my insteps, which makes my X-seam effectively short. My hands are slightly above my shoulders. I find high hands really comfortable, which surprises me. I originally wanted low hands, but I am glad I gave that up.

Everybody keeps talking about leaning forward. Now I can lean forward. I like to stand up and lift the bike by the bars, to mount the kerb. This was really awkward, but is easy now. I go up the kerb a lot. I commute.

I always had a problem with this bike. At the moment I believe I have solved it. I do not recommend my solution for anybody else because

ReklinedRider said:
Different solutions for different body types

Ride far, ride fast, don't get run over, don't worry about the UCI

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The brakes were really hard to adjust and the bike was really hard to stop. Eventually I realised that the lever-throw was restricted. I turned the levers over so they pointed down instead of up, which solved that problem, but the bar-end shifter was hard to reach.

So I got new levers. Now I need a new mirror.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 23