I don't just create controversy while on the Vendetta, it happen on the DF as well

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
So some of you know I recently built a very nice top of the line Trek Domane for group rides and the occasional double century to shut up some of the haters in the California Triple Crown series. So far the bike has been a blast to ride and I'm really jelling with the aero bars I installed to keep my wrist from taking the brunt of my weight. I've been having some solid noon rides on it all through september but something changed after my 500 mile race in Texas. Instead of going through a recovery period for a few weeks to regain my speed and stamina, I suddenly got way faster not even a week after the race. I've had this happen before after 24hr mtb races where I'll suddenly win a 90 min XC race which I almost never do. So last friday this monday and tuesday I've been killing it on the DF bike to the point it feels like the group is just holding back and letting me walk away. So yesterday I decided to try and better my time of the 10 min hill climb at the beginning of the ride which saw me drop the whole group out of sight so I did a quick U-turn to rejoin them because it ain't a group ride if you're solo. I'd estimate I pulled the group of 4 then 3 then 2 riders for 98% of the ride. I was just laying on my aero bars and giving it a solid effort, not trying to drop the others but more of offering my body to break the wind for the group. I dropped all but one rider by the end which surprised me because I still thought I had a group of 4 behind me. When I get this fast I normally start wearing the 10lb weight vest so I still work hard with the group but don't ruin everyone day by forcing them to choke on a lung. Keep in mind these are just everyday group rides with no prizes even if they happen to be very fast at times and contain some skilled racers.

Then I get this PM last night from one of the very fast riders who honestly I really enjoy riding with.

Rider
You are a badass! And, you’ll always be a badass! You would have prevailed to day anyway. Consider relying on your leges! Road race without the aero bars, without the recumbent. You will win your share, but it will be heads up, totally fair. Thoughts?

Jason

Not sure what you mean I have zero desire to enter road races. mtb racing and ultra races are the only races I plan to do for the foreseeable future.

Rider
The lab rides are generally road-race ‘gear’. It’s nice to have ‘fun’ competition on a level field. It’s fun to best the group, maybe more satisfying with equal tools. Otherwise why not ride alone. What’s to prove?
Jason
there's nothing to prove at least in my eyes, they are just fun rides with friends. If someone isn't fast enough they figure out how to improve to keep up. If someone becomes too fast they toss on a weight vest and equalize the playing field. Surround yourself with fast people and you too will become fast, that's always been my approach.

Rider
I disagree. I’m 59, and I can keep up with you, aero bars or not. But, you have 10% more aero, and you leave 10% less draft. Do you need unfair advantage to compete with me? Laugh a second, Jason. I’m 59, and you had to use technical advantage to keep up with me, and you think that makes you faster? How old are you? Even close? You should see me (from far behind, I’m sure), on an aero rig. Laugh at yourself some, Jason, life is fun! Don’t take yourself too seriously, I don’t.

Jason
Um you sound upset like you are taking today's ride. I'm not racing against you or anyone of the riders on the noon ride, I'm riding with you. You're calling me out on one of the only noon rides ever where I cut loose and pushed the pace instead of doing my best to get as many in the group through the ride quickly together. Today I just wanted to push myself hard because I seem to have gained something after my last race so I wanted to see if I could go a bit faster then normal. I didn't build the trek to keep up with noon riders, I built it for comfort during long group rides like double centuries, that is why it's like 20lbs and not some 15lb minimalist race bike. I've got to hit the sack so good night

Rider
Not upset, just amused. I’m writing a book on happiness. Do you think this matters to me? You are pretty defensive though, I was that at your age, Too. Sweet dreams.
5:15AM

Jason
I'm not defense at all I only stated as much as sometime text can come across that way and create misunderstandings. It just seemed odd when you turned a simple group ride into a me vs you and started comparing our ages in you previous post. You don't have to remind me you're twice my age, I have huge respect for how well you ride. I loved how you overtook that one rider on yersterdays downhill to keep on par with Scott and I who were getting away. I love telling my dad about the times you kick my ass when I get back to the shop because you guys are the same age. I laugh at myself every day, you can bet that if I take the time to type someone it was done with a smile on my face. I don't bother with negative back and forth with people it serves no purpose.
7:16AM

Rider
I crossed the line a little last night. I apologize. As you know, I enjoy discussion, elevating the thought, humor and sarcasm, challenge, friendly competing of ideas. I love that! I liked my argument and also yours. The key is you’re a badass, you are fun to ride with, and, your wordplay is stellar. A worthy opponent on all fronts! I will keep talking trash, though, just know I do it with a conspiratorial wink of the eye.
1f609.png
I’m looking forward to another fun adventure today.
1f601.png

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I fear I'll never really understand or fit in with the racer roadie crowd but I guess that's not such a bad thing. I think half of my sudden gains in speed are the residual effects of shaving my arms and legs for texas. I can't wait till I can enjoy that extra 15 watts drag when my hair grows back :)

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Wait for the morf bars and then you will be completely ostracized :rolleyes:

Your young. It's a thrill to be riding. Give it another 20 years... You won't need another weight vest.

Do a tough Strava ride the day before you go on a group ride then you won't want to get out of the saddle.

I guess the riders don't like being filmed going backwards. Guess they think you like looking at your prowess. Hide the camera.

Roadies.... yep do have their own etiquette

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
We have a Jason in our group also. A 112 lb set of legs and lungs who runs 10 milers on the days he doesn't ride. Every ride consist of 1/3 riding together, 1/3 chasing and 1/3 staying on his wheel at an all out effort. very frustrating at times but also great when we can stay with him. I'm using aero bars to give me a little edge but I also use them for comfort. Occasionally I can surprise him and stay close on a tough hill. mostly I'm chasing but the rides make me stronger and add excitement to a training ride. In truth everyone wants to be the "top gun" at least in our own little world. The only way I can make him suffer is when I'm on a recumbent on a fairly flat course and he really hates it...

Jayrob

The guy sounds like a whack job. He doesn't know the difference between a group ride and an all out race. Maybe his reality is fantasy. Most roadies think like that. I am 65, 5'-10" and weigh 210 pounds. My bike usually weighs around 40 pounds. I'll be out on a training ride doing hard intervals and pass a peleton of 20-30 roadies. They go into race mode and try to catch and pass me. They pass me as I finish my interval and start yelling things like, you just think you are fast, get a real bike. Well, it took all of them working together and me slowing down for them to catch me. When they stop I tell them what I was doing. Well, they say, you aren't that fast. Ok, I'll take any of you on one on one. I was doing intervals, and you only caught me because I slowed down, I wasn't racing anyone. I tell them we can do 200 meter sprint, 10k, and a 20 mile tt. Only one guy has taken up the challenge, but he always has an excuse why he doesn't show up. I am not in the Jason and Larry league, but I am pretty darn fast for an old fogie! Like last night I ride to town, about 5 miles, to get my lottery ticket. It is on the outer road of a very busy Interstate. When I get to town there is a traffic light. I have to turn left on a very busy road with a lot of big pickup trucks. There is a car in front of me, and as the light turns green, I start sprinting as hard as I can because there are at least 5 huge pickups behind me. I am on the bumper of the car in front of me as we both pull into the parking of of the store about a half block later. The lady driving the car and her 11 year old son are very excited saying you are way too fast. She said she was going over 30 mph and I was on her bumper. Do you have a motor on that bike. Yep, a 1952 model! Two of the huge pickups turn around and want to know if I have a motor on that there thing as they call it. Conversation starts again. It's all fun, but I know the difference between a race and just out for a ride.

LMT

Depends on what the general consensus is amongst the group, is it a group ride where no one is left behind or is it a training ride where if you get dropped then you are on your own?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Depends on what the general consensus is amongst the group, is it a group ride where no one is left behind or is it a training ride where if you get dropped then you are on your own?

It's a group ride where every man or woman for themselves. If you get dropped your never on your own because there is always someone else who got dropped with you.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
We have a Jason in our group also. A 112 lb set of legs and lungs who runs 10 milers on the days he doesn't ride. Every ride consist of 1/3 riding together, 1/3 chasing and 1/3 staying on his wheel at an all out effort. very frustrating at times but also great when we can stay with him. I'm using aero bars to give me a little edge but I also use them for comfort. Occasionally I can surprise him and stay close on a tough hill. mostly I'm chasing but the rides make me stronger and add excitement to a training ride. In truth everyone wants to be the "top gun" at least in our own little world. The only way I can make him suffer is when I'm on a recumbent on a fairly flat course and he really hates it...

I'm actually the very fast guy who hates attacking or breakaways so when these guys attack and try and break away I don't follow and just continue to do my part rotating with the group. Only time I attack is when the fast guys start sitting in the group instead of helping at the front and the pace isn't even fast. I'll rotate to the front then see no one was behind me(I'm the only rider with a mirror) to take the next turn at the front so they basically try to leave me at the front to keep pulling. So I'll then sprint off forcing the fast riders to jump out of the group and sprint up to me then I slow back down and let the group catch back up. I think some of them hate that I won't ride like a road racer with only victory in mind, it makes it hard for them to predict what I'll do because I don't ride like they expect. One of my favorite things to do is sit back and pull dropped riders back into the fold.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Wait for the morf bars and then you will be completely ostracized :rolleyes:

Your young. It's a thrill to be riding. Give it another 20 years... You won't need another weight vest.

Do a tough Strava ride the day before you go on a group ride then you won't want to get out of the saddle.

I guess the riders don't like being filmed going backwards. Guess they think you like looking at your prowess. Hide the camera.

Roadies.... yep do have their own etiquette

Well I did warm up friday with a quick century before joining the group ride. Took everything to hang onto the breakaway group, my left quad was crying out for relief during every surge. Sadly I have a job and don't have time to warm up with a century every day :p