If I can build up an S30, so can you

Kerry Kerr

Out-and-back group ride from Madison to Canton. He didn't tell me his name. I was so surprised that someone knew what a Cruzbike was--especially since I hadn't noticed any other recumbents on the ride--that I forgot to ask.

I just looked up the "Painless in Flowood" recumbent rally report from two years ago, trying to find Dr. Bob's last name and photo, and discovered that you had ridden Ian Sims' prototype Greenspeed Aero in the time trials. So we've probably met.
Bob McGuire, he's the only one in Jackson I've mentioned to about the V. I've bought several recumbents from RideSouth, I mentioned it to him but don't know that he knows I bought one. I was intrigued by them at that recumbent rally. I never thought I'd ride a 2 wheeler at that time. But, the physics etc.. made sense. Its faster....alot than the Carbon Aero Bacchetta.

Yes, I still have the prototype. Love it!

Kerry Kerr

That would be him, then. I found a photo on the UMMC web site.

Toward the end of lunch at RideSouth that Saturday at the rally, a couple of us were giving test rides on our Cruzbikes (a black Silvio 2.1 and my Q451) in front of the shop. Did you try one out then?

You guys tried to get me to. I declined. I rode to Vicksburg the next day with a guy who had a Bacchetta. I ordered one about a month later. Small world.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
What cruz bikes do you own?
I own the Quest 451 2.0, bought new in 2014, and the Silvio S30 that this thread discusses.

Modified the Q451 a year or so ago--click on 507 in my signature if you want details. Had a Silvio 1.5 for a couple of years (frameset purchased from @ReklinedRider in 2015) along with the Q, until I finally felt ready for more recline and more speed. The Q451 and the Silvio 1.5 were the bikes I had at the rally. The Silvio 2.1 I mentioned earlier belonged to a guy named David from Louisiana.

Kerry Kerr

c
I own the Quest 451 2.0, bought new in 2014, and the Silvio S30 that this thread discusses.

Modified the Q451 a year or so ago--click on 507 in my signature if you want details. Had a Silvio 1.5 for a couple of years (frameset purchased from @ReklinedRider in 2015) along with the Q, until I finally felt ready for more recline and more speed. The Q451 and the Silvio 1.5 were the bikes I had at the rally. The Silvio 2.1 I mentioned earlier belonged to a guy named David from Louisiana.
Ok gotcha. I really felt like I would never want to not ride my bacchetta , but the Vendetta is really a great bike, I feel like I did as a kid, I'm sure the Silvio is fun too! I'm really shocked by the fun and fast difference.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
c
Ok gotcha. I really felt like I would never want to not ride my bacchetta , but the Vendetta is really a great bike, I feel like I did as a kid, I'm sure the Silvio is fun too! I'm really shocked by the fun and fast difference.

Indeed the fun part is the surprise for a lot of people.

Kerry Kerr

Indeed the fun part is the surprise for a lot of people.
The learning curve difference for me has been good in that I was fine leaning back by riding the Bacchetta, so I didn't have to get used to that. Also. the learning wobble is very similar in ways, and getting your cadence up took time with both. But, my lower back being fused, took sometime to adjust to becoming able to stop without freaking out. Got that!

BUT, the speed, the comfort, the ability to turn without busting your a.... and its flipping fun!! Already... I'm averaging over a mile per hour averages over the Bacchetta. I'm really happy!! Still using brakes going down hill. Wanna ride tomorrow!

Kerry Kerr

The learning curve difference for me has been good in that I was fine leaning back by riding the Bacchetta, so I didn't have to get used to that. Also. the learning wobble is very similar in ways, and getting your cadence up took time with both. But, my lower back being fused, took sometime to adjust to becoming able to stop without freaking out. Got that!

BUT, the speed, the comfort, the ability to turn without busting your a.... and its flipping fun!! Already... I'm averaging over a mile per hour averages over the Bacchetta. I'm really happy!! Still using brakes going down hill. Wanna ride tomorrow!
Dang, forgot the best part. I can Pulllll on the bars.... Love that tight S up hills!

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I'm sure the Silvio is fun too!
I got the Q with the little wheels, thinking the Silvio and Vendetta would surely be too fast and too reclined for me ever to handle. (And the Q was on sale.) After 6 months or so on the Q, I began to wonder if maybe I could manage a Silvio 1.5...and Kline and I, who live in adjacent counties, had met by then...and he had a Silvio 1.5...and we have about the same x-seam...so he kindly let me try his Silvio and Sofrider out. I was amazed by how much lighter the Silvio's front end was, and that it was even more fun than the Q. It took a year and a half with the 1.5 before I heard the call of the S30.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Dang, forgot the best part. I can Pulllll on the bars.... Love that tight S up hills!

Like you, I had a CA2. It was very fast on flats and downhills, but not so fast uphill. One day I tried sitting up and pulling on the bars to get a bit more speed uphill; it worked! but was warned that pulling so hard was not such a good idea with the carbon headtube etc. So I wondered, is there a recumbent designed to be able to pull like that for hills? One quick internet search revealed: Cruzbike! Bacchetta now long gone. Even if it wasn't faster, it's way more fun, stable, and comfortable. Plus, Cruzbike Forum rocks.

Last edited:

Kerry Kerr

Like you, I had a CA2. It was very fast on flats and downhills, but not so fast uphill. One day I tried sitting up and pulling on the bars to get a bit more speed uphill; it worked! but was warned that pulling so hard was not such a good idea with the carbon headtube etc. So I wondered, is there a recumbent designed to be able to pull like that for hills? One quick internet search revealed: Cruzbike! Bacchetta now long gone. Even if it wasn't faster, it's way more fun, stable, and comfortable. Plus, Cruzbike Forum rocks.

Absolutely. love the forum and the whole package that Cruz delivers. So you guys are near Jackson? We need to ride together sometime soon.

Kerry Kerr

Yes we are. We're also both long-term RideSouth customers who are now heretics ;) for riding Cruzbikes. Where are you? Would love to meet up for a ride.
I live in Fayette, Al. I'm about 2.5 hours from Jackson. Bob and I have been friends for years, raced go-karts when younger, and he's who encouraged me to ride recumbents after my back surgery's. I haven't talked with Jim since I've purchased the V, but I could tell in his voice the day that I mentioned I was looking at one, that he didn't like it! Said he was disappointed. But this bike is the real deal, I'm loving it. Ordered me some Boyd wheel and going to mount them tubeless. The forum is worth the admission and the continued research that Jim and Maria do, is awesome. I rode the Bayou, Bikes, and Blues ride last year and would do a ride down there if you guys will let me know!! Look forward to riding with ya'll. KK

Kerry Kerr

Yes we are. We're also both long-term RideSouth customers who are now heretics ;) for riding Cruzbikes. Where are you? Would love to meet up for a ride.
I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to sell my Bacchetta BUT ... I don't think Ill ride it as much anymore, Im thinking if I want a easy rider thats fast I'll buy me a Silvio. What made yall decide to let them go, ultimately?

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
What made yall decide to let them go, ultimately?
I hung on to my road bike for almost three years after buying the Q451, thinking once I got the hang of the Cruzbike thing, eventually the "new" would wear off and I'd split time between road bike and CB, the way I had between road bike and tadpole trike. Never happened. I didn't touch the road bike for nearly a year after getting the Q. I rode 25 miles on it in 2015, 8 in 2016. Finally decided that if I ever want to take up road biking again, I'd get a new one. Sold the old Trek to a friend who had been riding half-centuries and metrics on an MTB with slick tires. She loves it.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I live in Fayette, Al. I'm about 2.5 hours from Jackson.... I rode the Bayou, Bikes, and Blues ride last year and would do a ride down there if you guys will let me know!! Look forward to riding with ya'll. KK

There are some good rides coming up this spring and summer! The 100 Miles of Mayhem ride comes to mind but there are several others. We can keep you posted.
What are the ride possibilities around Fayette?
Were you on a recumbent at Bikes Blues and Bayous?

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to sell my Bacchetta BUT ... I don't think Ill ride it as much anymore, Im thinking if I want a easy rider thats fast I'll buy me a Silvio. What made yall decide to let them go, ultimately?

I needed room in the garage. Plus, the fun factor of the Cruzbikes was so much higher than the Bachetta that I knew I was done with it.

Kerry Kerr

There are some good rides coming up this spring and summer! The 100 Miles of Mayhem ride comes to mind but there are several others. We can keep you posted.
What are the ride possibilities around Fayette?
Were you on a recumbent at Bikes Blues and Bayous?
Yes I rode the Bacchetta last year at the Bikes Blues and Bayous. Not much around here, I do several of the Alabama Back Roads Series rides. Just let me know.