Infinit 5 Hour Challenge Metric Century Race (Greenville SC)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Sounds like a great course and a fun ride.
Congratulations!
I thought the recumbent cda advantage was about equal to 3 or 4 DF's riding a good paceline.
Was the chase pack pacelining, or just riding together/ infighting and attacking each other?
Hope you got to say ... Beep Beep... :) a bunch of times.
Bill, From what I could see there were about 14 of them that just stayed in a tight paceline the entire time. :)
Yeah, I was working pretty hard too - avg pulse of 163 for 2 1/2 hours.

Great ride Larry. which bike we're u on?
Gary, I was riding the yellow RAAM vendetta with my stubby bars.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Why so much coasting and why so hesitant around the other riders? So many times you should have been easily pedaling past them through the long corners but instead you were soft pedaling and just holding along side them. Is it a lack of confidence on your part? If so where would you say it stems from?

On a course like this someone like myself would hold the advantage especially on a bike with no chance of pedal strike like the V20.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Just curious, has anyone raced a recumbent in a crit? Might be interesting in the corners. Should be your thing jason.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I think that pedalling around a sharp corner with bumps would be risky, as the power on a leaning front wheel could loose traction easily, and down you go, with 10 DF ready to ride over the top of you!

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Larry and I raced Nascar, (at least on a Nascar track) although I was about half his speed it was still a blast. I figured a crit was too risky for a recumbent but just curious.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Quote from a rider on Zwift's FB page in response to another riders question of if anyone has ridden 100 miles in 4hrs on zwift.

"Had a group at an event a couple weeks ago on a Michelin test track for a metric century. A group of 10 with about 6 (me included) others that fell off the pace finished in 2:40-ish. They averaged 23.7 mph on a pretty breezy and cold day on a track with plenty change of direction and pace. I think on a warmer, calm day they could have averaged 25+ mph. Not sure solo, other than a guy on a recumbent that was crushing it. I'm sure he could, as aero as he was."

My response
" that was my boy Larry Ozland on a Cruzbike Vendetta. He's got a video of the whole ride including him and the leader missing a turn on the first lap and watch you guys all ride by."

BJ686

In case anyone is interested, just saw that they are doing the 2018 version of this event on May 26, again at the Michelin Test Track in Greenville SC. "The Scorcher Squad Fun Rider". See link below. Wish they wouldn't do this Memorial Day Weekend, otherwise I may try and make it down from Charlotte.

https://racesonline.com/events/squadride18

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
In case anyone is interested, just saw that they are doing the 2018 version of this event on May 26, again at the Michelin Test Track in Greenville SC. "The Scorcher Squad Fun Rider". See link below. Wish they wouldn't do this Memorial Day Weekend, otherwise I may try and make it down from Charlotte.
I am going - it is a great event. You can show up anytime you want and ride whatever distance you want. It is worth the short drive jst to ride on these tracks even for an hour, especially since they cancelled the CMS TT for the rest of the year.
They are also going to have another event at this Michelin Proving grounds on Sept 22