Initial use of bike app

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Yesterday I went on a ride to stay with my folks in Fountain Hills for a few days, and chose a 20 mile section to become more familiar with the Zeopoxa Bicycling app. My initial use of the app was 15 minutes of figure-8s several days before:

tmp_18294-ZeopoxaCycling11469728143.png
Having familiarized myself with starting and stopping recording, and watching the Zeopoxa dashboard I started down the first section going Eastbound on city streets just after lunch time. It was start up at the light, pedal moderately hard to about 15 mph, and see if I can make each traffic light. Only made about half of the lights, but did not use the pause/resume feature of the app when I stopped. My goal was just to see if I could keep getting up to 15 mph for the 20 miles.

Did better than that though as I was being motivated by the speed on the Zeopoxa dashboard with much of the time getting up to 16 or 17 mph. I got into a rhythm of pushing just a little more than when I commute. My breathing was not forced and I was really enjoying a ride where I was pushing on.

Next came a hard packed dirt road along a canal for about 2 miles turning into a paved MUP. During this weekday afternoon there were very few using this path so I continued just above 15 or 16 mph, but again stopping for lights until reaching the Northbound leg of this ride.
tmp_18294-ZeopoxaCycling2427998491.png
Northbound was a very slight, but noticeable uphill grade along an old slick as ice when wet winding MUP around ponds with many elderly retirees enjoying our warm weather. So it was go 12 to 15 mph then slow down to 8 and then speed up before slowing again to be safe until turning Eastbound towards the 20 mile goal.

This last segment was along a 6 lane very fast road so onto the sidewalk, had only a few traffic signals and nobody else on the walkways. So I pushed again to hold to my 15 mph while moving until the mileage read 20 and I pushed stop button on the Zeopoxa app. I kept going because this ride was on the final segment to reach my destination.

I have never before used any form of bicycle performance tracking gear other than a watch and my brain, but stumbled upon a review on my smart phone. I downloaded several and will try them out one by one. Zeopoxa seemed intuitive to me so I started my adventure into bicycle app land.

Last edited:

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I edited my post above - corrected name of the cycling app to Zeopoxa. I created this thread at 2am my time and while drowsy !o_O

Below is what the Zeopoxa Bicycling app dashboard currently looks like:
tmp_7396-ZeopoxaDashboard974264692.jpg

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I've sampled a couple more bicycling apps besides Zeopoxa which was easy to use for basic functions. Though after trying other bike apps, I've finally tried out Strava and found it to offer much more than basics although I'm still learning through much trial and error. Also an extra is that I found there are clubs within Strava, including a Cruzbike club! So I joined the Club! :D

Cruzbikers have included links to their Strava data in this forum, so here is my test (note that it may take me a few tries to get this right)

https://www.strava.com/activities/818230332

Last edited:

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
The Strava dashboard is easy to read, and is interactive. I'm still learning about the dash, which usually includes a map, but interactively changes according to your current location giving information such as you might be riding along a popular section where riders try to get the best time and receive an award.

Other statistics such as mileage and gained elevation are based on a daily, weekly, yearly, and all time basis.

tmp_5074-Dashboard-1428708516.png

tmp_5074-Map-1325882631.png

At the end of the ride you get total distance, average speed, as well as segments of the ride where the speed is noted and may be different from other segments.

tmp_5074-Segments-1829626462.png

Attachments

• tmp_5074-Segments1380398985.png
    tmp_5074-Segments1380398985.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
As I said I'm still learning, and will be learning for awhile I think. But it is useful right now for documenting my rides and for the data that can help recreational riders (and is helping you racers out there)! Also experimenting and learning bicycling/running/exercise apps is much more interesting than crosswords to me!

Oh, and since I'm a recreational rider and stop to look, visit, etc I just discovered today that Strava automatically pauses and resumes when you stop and again start riding! So cool!

And a link on their site with a more organized documentation:

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919167-Recording-an-Activity-Android

Last edited: