KOM Series in the bag

CruzLike

Guru
Way to go Jason.
Your main competitors may have just hoisted the white flag one race early. Or maybe they had a wedding to go to. :)

Remember, a win is a win.

Bill K

Guru
That's awesome Jason!
Not that it really matters, but for me Strava often calculates 15 or 20 watts lower than Garmin (or Training Peaks) for both normalized and average power.
So maybe you really did average 240 watts for 100 miles (I just wish I could do that for one hour).
Its a bummer that your main competitor(s) couldn't make it but that should not take away from the fact that first place is first place and you can't do better than that!

Apollo

Congrats, Jason! Even though the competition was thinned out a bit, there's no telling if the outcome would have been any different. You could have still won the series. It's all history now and you worked extremely hard in what was a very difficult series of races. You deserve all the accolades.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Well done ... it certainly looks better training against power than anything else. I am kind of curious about hydration, it must have been pretty hot out there. Do you find that power diminishes with your degree of hydration? You must feel in yourself about when to drink and what to drink. I am pretty sure that some of the climbs must have had your power soaring.

Last edited:

LMT

I learned today that I just can't hold 240 watts for 100 miles. Heat may have played a factor but I enjoyed a big slice of humble pie today.

Don't sweat it, I recall watching a video where the NP for Cancellera was around 273w for the La Fleche Wallone IIRC.

Good job winning the series.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Great job Jason.
I still think a rider can make more power in an up-right position.
(As an example, Marko averaged 270 watts for the first 12 hours of last year's Borrego Springs 24-hour).

Rest a few days and attack the ride on your Ridley, and I would wager that your NP is going to be higher. (although your speed may be lower. :) )

McWheels

Off the long run
The noble contest between 2 great foes, the unspoken comradeship. How often you must have rehearsed your acceptance speech at their moment of vanquish...

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
If I race hoodoo it'll probably be as a voyager and just because goals should be set high I'll shoot for the fully supported solo record just because. Honestly I was stoked to get to race against some guys I couldn't beat in the first two races. I get pleasure from battling regardless of the result, winning holds little value to me if it comes easy. Lately I'm getting tired of riding/racing the V because with it I'm generally too fast. I may try a couple of the harder doubles that I haven't done yet but hoodoo seems to be the next legitimate challenge.

My new trek Domane frame arrives this week but sadly SRAM won't be releasing the Etap HRD group set until July. If I can setup the bike with aero clip ons to be as comfortable as some of these guy claim they can be I may try a double or two on it. As long as I'm riding I'll stay fast and I can jump on the V for any race at any time as I see fit.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I guess you can make the competition better by converting some of yer buddies. Get a T50 or 2xT50 and get them up to speed. Then they can borrow your v20 when you are on the Trek ... that would be a good work out. Anyways... it's probably one of your EPO jokes. o_O

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Lots of good humored E-assist jokes before and after this last race. I claim the battery is hidden beneath all my carbon wrap. I like promoting the cruzbike brand but my motivation will only last as long as I'm entertained or challenged. I don't ever see myself entering the DF bike in a actual road race since I still can't stand those riders attitudes or tactics. At heart I'm a group rider who loves to go fast DH, I like to ride with other people and the V is killing that opportunity lately. You just can't convert fast roadies to a recumbent it seems, cruzbike hit the jackpot when they stumbled upon someone like me who give zero F***s about what is considered mainstream or not. The one guy I thought I may be able to convince just bought a new road bike 2 months ago so he'll be out of the market for awhile. It would probably be easier if I had a second V to loan out and have people try riding with me or a local shop where they could demo the bikes. Fast riders are in tune with their machines, that's part of how they get fast. You're not going to get a rider like that to drop money on a machine that they have no idea about how it'll feels.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Races must also be cost effective, that's the whole reason I do 24hr mtb races for $150 over XC races for $60. Those stage races are stupid pricey for teams. Yeah I know I'm being difficult but those are my standards. Hoodoo voyager fits those requirements so it's only a matter of equipping the bike for the race.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
LOL never mind, I won't be doing the HOODOO, they want way too much money to enter that race especially for an event that requires you to also bring all your own support. For some reason I thought Voyager was like $300 which would still have been too expensive in my eye's but doable. The actual price is just laughable. If it was life goal or an epic adventure to do such a race I can see paying that kind of money but too me it's just another race. If it was 500 miles of epic off road single track with an aid station every 100 miles I'd be game. As sad as it is you can't instill your passion onto another that's not how passion if born.

There is a very one sided and very heated subject of my local mtb team wanting me to do the leadville 100 because they love the race and want me to love it as well. The route is all fireroad and holds zero fun value for me, plus it's crazy overpriced because of its prestige. I've lost many FB friends over the subject just because I state I won't do the race because I don't like what it has to offer and they can't comprehend that.