Light integrated helmets

Mixerman

I've been on the hunt for a new helmet and some of these new light integrated helmets intrigue me, especially since I'm just getting back on the road after getting hit by a car.

A few months back BROL reviewed the Lumos helmet.
https://lumoshelmet.co

It seems ok, kinda neat, I searched some more and found the Genie Helmet Light
http://www.magicshine.com/product/2209/

I kinda like the Genie and was thinking of purchasing for my V20. A concern is how it will fit while riding the Vendetta. The Genie has 3 rear retention strap settings so it's possible to have the strap just below the bottom of the helmet in the highest setting.

Or should I just do what you guys all did and get a Giro Air Attack. I know these other helmets aren't as aero but the lights seem like a really good idea. Thoughts?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
If you want to be seen from the front during the day; hard to beat the duo gemini with the remote. Expensive to most but I'm guessing not in your book. With this baby I can get cars to turn off their high beams at night, A light separate from the helmet will last a long time 5-6 years I would hope; helmets last 2 years and you should replace them so you have to factor that in. You can mount it on the bike or you helmet.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/c.../2016-gemini-duo-light-set?variant=9329856133

Lots of other good options there.

for Taillights these days the http://dinottelighting.com is the one true daytime tail light now that designshine isn't building any more.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
If you need a light in your helmet to be seen then you are failing at equipping your bike with proper lights.

If you think cars are going to notice blinkers in your helmet when they fail to see us in general on a regular basis then you are a dreamer.

If you buy one of those tail lights that shoots lasers lines to define your lane in hopes cars are going to look at the ground and see those line then you are a dreamer and gullible to boot.

With that said I do have a friend who has a lumos helmet and said he was impressed with the quality and recommended it to out cycling group. I haven't see it in person myself though.

ratz

If you need a light in your helmet to be seen then you are failing at equipping your bike with proper lights.

And passive reflectors it's amazing what those do day and night. I have tradition ones them on our wheels, the kid you can see even when not reflecting; I find they help give the tire a nice rotating pattern that is more visible. Go fast enough and they rotate backwards :) I shots work good on just about anything including clothing. 2 packs of the "tyre" version is enough to do 8 wheels. http://respro.com/store/product/i-shots-reflective-stickers

The rest of the frame I have cover in color matching Fiks.
http://www.ridewithfiks.com/collections/reflective-stickers during the day you don't notice them; but at night they light up beautifully to make the bike seen.

My bike in self support riding mode might be a big heavy with batteries and lights but you see me coming. I just consider it a training aid :emoji_muscle:

I had a Lazer helmet with an integrated taillight. It did not work well, I had to replace the batteries every three days. Gave up as it was to expensive. Yes, I did turn the lights out every day.

billyk

Guru
I've been riding daily with a Lumos helmet since Christmas. It's comfortable. Of course I have other lights, but the helmet lights are quite visible, even in daylight, so say my friends who have seen me. I enjoy the turn signals but only sometimes sense that cars recognize them, probably because they don't expect bikes to have signals.

I've also used gloves with embedded blinkers, controlled by touching contacts in thumb and base of forefinger. Those are clearer, since you stick your hand way out. But sometimes you need that hand on the bars while turning, a disadvantage.

My conclusion is that we need a lot more bikes on the road so drivers get used to us.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
the one true daytime tail light

hmmm.... that Quad red tail light is rated by Dinotte at 200 lumens. Is there a brighter one?

The new model NiteFlux Red Zone 8 at highest flashing setting puts out 500 lumens (their rating). I always get comments about how bright it is. Have to turn it down to ride in a group even on a bright day. It's drawback is a relatively short run time: 4 hours at highest strobe setting. That's why I have 2 mounted to the headrest tubes and run one at a time. Pics when I get a chance. Rechargeable, self contained battery. Very lightweight.
Plus, it is equally bright and visible from a full 270 degrees, not just from the rear. Easily visible from a good mile away.
My Bacchetta friends swear by Dinotte but even they say, 'dang, those are some bright tail lights you got there!"
I think it too deserves consideration as a true daytime tail light :)

www.niteflux.com

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
IMG_0480.JPG IMG_0479.JPG

Older model on left (400lumens). Newer model on right (500lumens).
Mounted w Terracycle mounts, the same one used for mounting a headlight on the lower front cross bar of Silvio and Vendetta. If I ever decide to try the behind the seat water bottle thing will mount to utility post.
(will this new forum let us post short video?)

ratz

hmmm.... that Quad red tail light is rated by Dinotte at 200 lumens. Is there a brighter one?

The new model NiteFlux Red Zone 8 at highest flashing setting puts out 500 lumens (their rating). I always get comments about how bright it is. Have to turn it down to ride in a group even on a bright day. It's drawback is a relatively short run time: 4 hours at highest strobe setting. That's why I have 2 mounted to the headrest tubes and run one at a time. Pics when I get a chance. Rechargeable, self contained battery. Very lightweight.
Plus, it is equally bright and visible from a full 270 degrees, not just from the rear. Easily visible from a good mile away.
My Bacchetta friends swear by Dinotte but even they say, 'dang, those are some bright tail lights you got there!"
I think it too deserves consideration as a true daytime tail light :)

www.niteflux.com

Interesting stuff I remember when you first got those.

When thinking of my definition of a daytime light I do tend to focus the shaping of the beam for distance. Any tail light that can bee seen over a mile back and grabs attention is what I am after.

On the deserted country roads I want the teenager doing 80mph to think I might be a cop. Most because they have bad habits of do 80 up and over the blind hills and I don't want to be hidden on the far side before they can see the light.

So back to these niteflux. have you tested them for distance visibility?

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
So back to these niteflux. have you tested them for distance visibility?

On a long, straight, flat section of road in our neighborhood my wife and neighbors say they can see them at close to a mile away, and that they really grab their attention at a good half mile away (in daytime). I need to have someone else ride their bike with one of these mounted and measure distance visibility for myself.

I have a White Zone 10 that I have used riding solo on the Natchez Trace, paired with a Red Zone 8. Not strictly legal but I'm betting the the White one is bright enough to catch a driver's eye even if texting. I was passed by a Trace Park Ranger(equivalent to highway patrol) with the White 10 running. He didn't pull me over :)

ratz

On a long, straight, flat section of road in our neighborhood my wife and neighbors say they can see them at close to a mile away, and that they really grab their attention at a good half mile away (in daytime). I need to have someone else ride their bike with one of these mounted and measure distance visibility for myself.

I have a White Zone 10 that I have used riding solo on the Natchez Trace, paired with a Red Zone 8. Not strictly legal but I'm betting the the White one is bright enough to catch a driver's eye even if texting. I was passed by a Trace Park Ranger(equivalent to highway patrol) with the White 10 running. He didn't pull me over :)

Do test; with DesignShine no longer making lights it's good to have options.

Mixerman

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm definitely not talking about replacing front and rear lights with the helmet, just in addition to. I already have front and rear lights tho I like some of the products mentioned and will probably upgrade in the future. Will definitely buy some reflection packs ASAP.
I still don't think the helmet is a bad idea tho now I'm leaning towards the Lumos just because there's so much more support, reviews, apps, over the Genie. I'm still concerned about fit using the neck rest of the V20. Anybody try a Lumos on a V or S30? I'm currently using an old Specialized helmet I had laying around and there's a little rubbing but comfort is ok. My last helmet cracked in the accident so I need a new helmet ASAP.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
Integrated light in helmet sounds like a good idea - this way you'll always light when you, say, need to 'go into the bushes' at night :), or to dig something up in your rack pack.

Talking of smart lights, though, google Meilan X1 and X6 (that would be front and rear)
Long runtimes, adaptive brightness, auto turn on and off, excellent light distribution. I've ordered the rear light, and similar yet cheaper one by Machfally:

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1603/10019068/5926200-authentic-machfally-eos350-led-bicycle-light

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Do test; with DesignShine no longer making lights it's good to have options.

Finally got a chance to shoot video of the NiteFlux--my wife was kind enough to drive up behind me while shooting video with her iphone (thru the windshield). Unfortunately, the light just doesn't show up on the video even though she said she could see it "clear across the dam". (The dam/levee is a bit more than a mile across).
So, to try to be accurate, she parked on the roadside adjacent to a long flat straightaway in our neighborhood(at one end of the dam), i reset my garmin, and rode away from her. Sunny day, slight intermittent overcast. Had the light on high flash. I rode a measured distance (half a mile), stopped and called, she said she could not miss my light, without even trying, as she would if normally driving, it caught her eye. Rode further, easily seen at 0.6 mile, still there at 0.7, at 0.8 she had to strain to see it, 0.9, gone. So not really "clear across the dam" but still, pretty far. Wish the video was as good as the human eye. Still, i feel pretty good about the light, having measured the distance it's visible. Attention-getting at half a mile on a sunny, slightly hazy day.
Hope to try shooting a different way tomorrow, even if only still photo using burst.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Even in a still photo, the light comes across poorly. At the distance I took the photo, that blinky will make you see spots when you look away after viewing with the naked eye.

IMG_0523.JPG