Little tweaks

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
boom has been extended by 2 cm... not sure why that is because the crank have only been cut down by 15mm. I had already chopped my slider so I am thinking I have minimal clearance.
That normal the pedal doesn't reach out so far so you have to move the boom out to get full clearance which intern decreases leg bend. It's obvious after it's obvious; but it is counter intuitive. :)

telephd

Guru
That normal the pedal doesn't reach out so far so you have to move the boom out to get full clearance which intern decreases leg bend. It's obvious after it's obvious; but it is counter intuitive. :)

That's interesting. I just installed a Vision TT crank @ 155mm replacing a SRAM Red crank @ 170mm on my S30 and didn't move the boom. I was expecting to have to move the boom out but heel to pedal leg extension test virtually identical on both cranks. Ill check again on Thursday when I ride next.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Always first out on the open roads is a memorable one. If it wasn't for the darn clicking noise every time I put a bit of power on the cranks it would have been brilliant. I was out with Juani, and she doesn't like me racing off into the sunlight. I wanted to be slow anyway in case something like a clicking sound surfaces. I only have one chainring on so I guess the washers I am using aren't thick enough. Maybe I have to go out and buy some extra sram shims. I bet they cost more than any other brand :confused:

The good thing is... as soon as I stopped I had an audience and they wanted to take pictures! So it would be good if I had a Kickstarter reflective sticky badge I could put on the bike or helmet. Then people would know to look on Kickstarter for the T50.
sramrivalqxl.jpg

Last edited:

DavidCH

Ok ... update time.... It's been a while.

So what's the prognosis of all the latest updates?

Well today I had a message to try for my Strava segment goals. I went out yesterday for a blast but something didn't feel quite right so today I put the rear carbon wheel on with covers and sure enough things feel quite incredible :D

The 2 segments I have been targeting were smashed to smithereens and it wasn't windy today so it's open to more improvements.

It wasn't so much grunt but rhythm... I didn't quite see my heart rate getting up past 170 I was just concerned at looking at the Elemnt with the active segment. At the start of the 4 km run I was 2 seconds down, then I speeded up to 0 seconds, then on the uphill to the bridge I had a fast approaching car from the rear which effected my rhythm. After the bridge there was a turn and into the wind then at a round about... The car up front looked like a police car and I thought 40 in a 30? But the police car was doing well over 40 so I was ok. Then at the finishing line ; the lights went red and I stopped sooner than I wanted. That element is terribly compulsive. Good thing its easy to disable Strava live segments quickly.
So that segment was smashed by 13 seconds and the other by 23 seconds.

So looking at the wattage it looks the engine needs a redo. Power is approx 180 to 220 zone and it would be good to be in the 250 to 300 zone; so how is it done?

I can only think on putting the front deurallier on and hitting the hills for the rest of the season. I have been waiting for the xshifter but it's running late.

My goal doesn't look very realistic for this season ... getting a KOM on this mother of all segments is beyond mere mortals.

The achievements have been impressive though and there is another big update in the pipeline that should shave another 20 seconds on this segment. So by then I should have shed the 5 kg that I put on since February and then it could even be a 30 seconds saving even without having to work out on the power. I did read the older you get the less testosterone the body has so it's slower to produce muscle. Does anyone take supplements to keep the body in perfect orientation?

DavidCH

One word Zwift. There are and thousands of testimonials regarding the drastic impact Zwift racing had on increasing their performance. Our own hero Jason P. used it while injured over the winter and came out this year like a gangbuster.
Don't know about that testosterone stuff but I can attest that it's easier to maintain your speed than lose some and then try and get it back. Getting old isn't for the youngsters.
Perhaps I should just be wise and enjoy the sport for what it is. As Jason says ... you get a peloton together and they just fly much faster than a no drafting :cruzbike: rider.

So even still as I am getting better. I still have to reward myself. So perhaps a TV or a new super duper smart monitor that would help my photography :rolleyes:

DavidCH

It's best not to compare yourself to anyone else. Jason is in a league unto himself.

I am looking forward to the team RAAM event.

Cruzbike has had a great year this year. I also noticed that kids love great looking products. They always take a look at the V when I stop for a drink. I still have the false carbon panels on the Vendetta and when I have the rear wheel with covers On, it looks unbelievably good.

The best thing about the recumbent is that you can use it every day without fatigue.

V2Fly.jpg

DavidCH

Well I thought I would never say this but the Trump effect has a given me an incredible spending year.

His next 100 days might be somewhat difficult but I have my eyes fixed on a spider power meter that I can put onto the shortened Sram Rival cranks.

After breaking my Strava segment PBs by 2 seconds I stopped for a coffee outside the cafe last saturday and as I was getting off my cleat caught the top of the seat.

There wasn't anything I could do.
Humiliation and found myself on my arse with the bike on top of me. I was embarrassed... the good thing. No scratches on the V and nothing broken on me.

So it's been quite a week. The weirdest thing is that there is no bruise just a nagging ache. Been to the physio as my back had been going into spasm but after a week I can't believe how good I feel.

So as the week has been quieter; I changed out my steel Look Keo 2 Max pedal axles for some super light titanium pedal axles. I can't believe how much lighter the pedals are. I can't wait to get on the bike and try them.

My previous goals for the strava live segments were a minute faster than anything else so now I have had the pleasure of updating them to 30 seconds faster than I have ever done. My intention is to binary progressively degrade the time interval until the KOM gets blown. Perhaps one more after this should do it.

So as the rewards go... the best one lately have been the Samsung Galaxy S8. OMG drool time ... probably why I fell off the bike so I could play with it more. Absolutely fantastic. Never thought android would be so good. The reason why I changed my phone was down to the Wahoo Elemnt... this little device allows me to use a better mobile for the things I love doing - like photography.

I also had to change the battery in my Powercal heart rate strap. It's been quite a companion. The best thing was to take the powercal to a tailors and get the buckle cut out and the belt stitched up ... there is zero discomfort when riding the Vendetta. A new spider power meter would be better though as I shave off the final seconds.

I am going to get this KOM if only to prove that I am a Hard Arse,

Last edited:

DavidCH

The pedals have a very positive feel. Like I am pedalling air, but I can't quite sit on a wooden stool.
:confused:

I guess I was giving it 65% power. Pretty idle. It was very enjoyable. It started to rain just a little. I could smell the roads... The drops of rain were refreshing.

I use a halo head band now as the weather is hitting 30c quite early on in the morning. Most of us riding the V have a Giro attack shield so we all sweat and one thing I can't stand is salt in the eyes. So this Halo head band is brilliant. It has like a little plastic/rubber ridge that trickle feeds the sweat off your brow.

It's brilliant.

Last edited:

DavidCH

I have the curved slider and new Chain stays and boom. Lucky me. Now I have to rewire the bike and perhaps go for a blast at the weekend.

The engine needs a bit of a decoking

Just checked sizes with old V2 and it looks like the bottom bearing bracket doesn't need to change, excellent.

Juani said "I hope that doesn't make you faster."

My reply was "It makes it easier to cycle.

:cruzbike::cruzbike::cruzbike:o_O

DavidCH

A word of caution. I didn't quite slam the fork stem. Just in case I want to go back to the old boom. I left one spacer distance on it. I quite like looking over the top of the boom but I can't do that with the new as the new Chain stays they are shorter so the bike is more stable. As the Chain stays are over the bottom bearing block and not on the bearings themselves the Chain stays can be tightened nicely so the ride should be better. I guess longer Chain stays would allow me to have the boom at a more horizontal angle but with that comes instability.

I found with the new Chain stays on the silver forks the deurallier had to be adjusted. I also found that a bit of masking tape on the stem attachment O ring was useful. The boom has to be centered, once this is done put a bit of masking tape on the boom next to the o ring. Then put a pen mark across both pieces of masking tape. Then it's easier to keep the bars level when doing the micro adjustments associated with the length.

Once I am happy riding it I will rewire the bike using jagwire pro. I quite like the Celeste blue colour.

I haven't cut any bits of boom or slider.

Let's see how many seconds I can shave of my PBs before I contemplate that.

DavidCH

Ok... slam the stem and then you can feed the cables thru the hole through the O ring fork adjuster. Commonly called burning the bridge. I have been on it today. It feels springy in comparison and more aero. I moved the aerobars out by a cm. But to be honest if I had a six pack it would interfere with the bars and that's without the Wahoo Elemnt fitted.:eek:
(Time to lose the extra weight)

Whilst adjusting ... you will have to loosen off the chainstay screws. That chainstay fitting really does fix the boom in position pronto.

DavidCH

I tried a little something to the engine today. It was very good. I saw it on Le Tour and thought I would have to try it.

elTurbine.jpg

They work! You get a pack of three different sizes. The middle ones are great for me so now I don't have to swallow flies.

DavidCH

Well the good thing about a blog is if things don't get better you can review the dates of your amendments. There is a particular strava segment that I haven't been able to better, since June. I can only put it down to 3 things. I am using two chainrings and the big 53t was moved from position 5 to 4. Larry uses his big QXL ring in position 5. When I was using position 5... my power output was appreciatively higher. I haven't been running my wheels at 110 psi and I haven't been using covers for the rear wheel. So I will try and revert to OCP 5 and blow up the tires to 110psi. I also have been using the big ventisit pad so it might be soaking up the power. It was just so hot in the summer I needed it.

As the late David Bowie once said...
"Commencing countdown , Engines on"

DavidCH

I changed the ventisit delux seat pad to the 15mm rubber pad cut out that I raced at Sebring. Good to feel the road again. Power. Sitting in it, I am lower and the sides are flush as I've taped it to the carbon seat. I am back in command. My toughest segments have been obliterated. 4 seconds faster and the other even more.

I didn't change the chainring to position 5. There is a hill on the segment that I pay dearly for. Lighter wheelset perhaps :rolleyes:

Well the good thing about a blog is if things don't get better you can review the dates of your amendments. There is a particular strava segment that I haven't been able to better, since June. I can only put it down to 3 things. I am using two chainrings and the big 53t was moved from position 5 to 4. Larry uses his big QXL ring in position 5. When I was using position 5... my power output was appreciatively higher. I haven't been running my wheels at 110 psi and I haven't been using covers for the rear wheel. So I will try and revert to OCP 5 and blow up the tires to 110psi. I also have been using the big ventisit pad so it might be soaking up the power. It was just so hot in the summer I needed it.

As the late David Bowie once said...
"Commencing countdown , Engines on"
High Tyre pressures are not all they are cracked up to be new research shows lower pressure can be faster particularly if running tubeless. I have linked to some articles and a podcast here before

DavidCH

I know I have read many. I will try the same amount of effort at 80 psi next time just to improve my times.... it's worth a try.