Max tire size 650b

Discussion in 'Silvio Series (S1.x, S2.x, S30)' started by Andrei Petrov, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Andrei Petrov

Andrei Petrov Member

Do we have the final verdict on the max tire size front/rear that would fit a Silvio 2/3 on 650 b rims? Are we talking 35 mm, 38 or 42? Nominal size and actual measurements, if any were taken.

2. Mathew Fy

Mathew Fy Active Member

I have last years' Vendetta, so the front triangle should be same as the Silvio. This year I went up from 32 to 38 (Compass 650B Loup Loup Pass) on the front. My caliper reads 39 mm (1.54") wide at 60 psi. Don't expect anything larger will fit.
    IMG_2527.JPG
    The ride is comfortable and stable as long as pressure is kept above 40 psi when it feels squirrelly. I have the Compass 650B x 42 on the rear.

Andrei Petrov likes this.
  3. Andrei Petrov

Andrei Petrov Member

Very good to know, thanks. Did you try the 42 in the front? The pic shows still some clearance left)

4. Mathew Fy

Mathew Fy Active Member

42 in front? No can do. I measure 41.6 mm across where the tire is. The left side has less space than pictured here. There has been some rubbing, possibly while braking.

5. Andrei Petrov

Andrei Petrov Member

How wide is your front rim? It sounds like you've approached the max size there, anything bigger will start to rub. I am considering 30mm wide rims. At the moment, I am running 28mm 700c Hutchinson tubeless. The actually measure 29 mm across. This is fine for most roads, but I will probably try 650b for winter tarmac and steep grades. Did you notice any improvement in climbung traction when you swithchef to these 38mm's?

6. Mathew Fy

Mathew Fy Active Member

The SRAM Rail 50 measures 28.5 mm external width.
    Yes, I do seem to have better traction. I've ridden 12% incline on smooth and 10% incline on rough roads with no significant slippage.
    SRAM's promotional video. They talk about surviving a rock hit, but I'm more worried about pot holes and such.
    Bike Radar evaluation.

7. KiwiGuy

KiwiGuy Well-Known Member

I'm considering setting up a Silvio S30 as an adventure/gravel bike. A recumbent version of the Mason Bokeh if you will. I was hoping to be able to run the Compass 650B x42 Babyshoe Pass front and rear. But it looks like that could only happen on the rear. Disappointing as the latest version of the Silvio seems to be a natural adventure bike.