Minneapolis Silvio

hoyden

I like Silvo 30. It's an amazing and impressive bike. I have mostly mastered sharp turns and 8's in the lot without unclipping. I am totally habituated to the upside down handlebar mounting suggested by ReclinedRider. I can ride for 3 hours without getting arm tired. The handlebar death grip is mostly a thing of the past. Next up, chain waxing.

hoyden

A new Silvio adventure. I was about 30 miles into my 45 mile ride when I heard a loud pop and the front tire went flat. I was going about 20mph, did not hit anything like a pothole or chip seal, and had no problem steering the bike to a prompt stop. I decided not to try and fix the flat and Uber'd it home. At home I found the tube had a 1/8 hole, not a slit, but a real hole. I could not find any corresponding hole in the tire.

This morning I inserted a new tube and began pumping up the tire...pop! Again. This time I inspected the tire and found a 1" tear between the tire bead and the side wall. I have never had a tire fail this way. I have put almost 4,000 miles on this set of tires. I wonder if this is a random defect or if I should replace tires after a certain mileage regardless of how much tread remains.

Has anyone experienced this kind of failure? The tire is a Kenda 28mm 700c commuter tire. My original Panaracer tires lasted about 700 miles before they started getting flats and I replaced them with the Kenda's.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
A new Silvio adventure. I was about 30 miles into my 45 mile ride when I heard a loud pop and the front tire went flat. I was going about 20mph, did not hit anything like a pothole or chip seal, and had no problem steering the bike to a prompt stop. I decided not to try and fix the flat and Uber'd it home. At home I found the tube had a 1/8 hole, not a slit, but a real hole. I could not find any corresponding hole in the tire.

This morning I inserted a new tube and began pumping up the tire...pop! Again. This time I inspected the tire and found a 1" tear between the tire bead and the side wall. I have never had a tire fail this way. I have put almost 4,000 miles on this set of tires. I wonder if this is a random defect or if I should replace tires after a certain mileage regardless of how much tread remains.

Has anyone experienced this kind of failure? The tire is a Kenda 28mm 700c commuter tire. My original Panaracer tires lasted about 700 miles before they started getting flats and I replaced them with the Kenda's.

4000 miles is really good mileage from the front tire of a FWD; the tire side walls take a lot of lateral forces over and above a RWD setup. Running low pressure while comfortable will increase the rate of wear on the side wall as well, so factor that in if you are doing that as well. I would say time for a new tire and thank the last one for it's really good service.

hoyden

Thanks, ratz, for your perspective. I had not thought about the relative stress. All my other bikes I replaced tires when the tread got thin or every few years. I ride Silvio enthusiastically and now I understand that my old criteria for new tires is inadequate. New tires on order. In the meantime I have been riding my Azub Max. It took me about half hour to reacquaint myself with big wheel USS steering. Looking forward to getting back in the Silvio saddle.

ratz

Schwalbe One 700c x 28mm

The One's where pretty fragile compared to the Pro One;s they swing Ultremo like in that they are good for about 2500-3000 miles max. The big complaint with them is that the side walls didn't hold up when run at low pressure. Meanwhile Ultremo tend to shed strings if you run them at high pressure....... but if I had to rank Schwable tires Pro Ones are their best tire to date, then the Ultremo, and then the One. Pro One was designed to be tubeless but handles a tube wheel; ultremo is tube only tire, and the One was a Tubeless only tire; put a tube in it and it under performs relative to the Ultremo ZX.... And yes I have run about 30 Ultremo's, 10 Ones' and now I have about 20 Pro one's in the garage and on the bikes. So I'm not making that up. Ultremo was my go fast tire for 3 years on the CatTrike 700 I ate a lot of those tires. I'm not a GP4000 fan because while it's dam fast it always seems to blow of the rim during a flat when used with performance gear (probably just my bad luck)...

That all said if you don't want to run tubeless and you don't want flat; a Durano, a Gatorskin, or a Marathon will serve you really well and they are dam fast for the first 3000 miles before they where down and become slow; so you could just use those and be sure to change them earlier than necessary to keep them fast and enjoy their bullet proofness.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for that info! and also, enjoyed your spot in the new Cruzbike video. Well spoken.

Have been running the One's on the Vendetta from the start, tubeless w no prblm, 2200 miles so far, the previous discussions made me wonder about their life span. Have a spare One in the shop but will go to Pro One's after that. Thanks again

hoyden

Mounted two new tires today and now I am back in the Silvio saddle. $20 each for Kenda Kwest 700x28c commuter tires. I got 3,730 miles from the first set so the bang for buck is good. I might consider swapping front for rear at about 2,500 miles because the cheapskate in me hates to toss out a still good tire. OTOH my Uber ride home cost $38...

Has anyone put 26" tires on Silvio? How large can fit? The 26x1.5 tires I have used on my Azub Max, Bacchetta Strada, and Vision R40 gave great service and were pretty much bulletproof. The 700x28 are probably the largest I can fit on Silvio. The front fork clearance is less than 1/8".

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Well so far I'm not a fan of the Pro One's. After I had a spoke to break for no apparent reason, and had to redo the rim tape after replacing it and then getting both wheels trued/spokes re-tensioned, I thought it would be a good time to replace the 28mm One's with 28mm Pro One's. Even though the One's really showed no signs of wear they have 2400+ miles on them so off they came. The first Pro One inflated ok with the air compressor but leaked at one spot; the other one wouldn't even begin to inflate. So I put tubes in to mate them with the rims, went for a short ride and the first one was obviously defective---severely out of round. No wonder it leaked. Tried again to inflate the other one without a tube in it--nothing doing. So I put the old One's back on and they inflated just with a standard floor pump. I think they'll do for now.
The question is, did I get 2 defective Pro One's? I can understand getting one just by chance, not even Schwalbe is perfect, and I guess an occasional defective tire slips through. But 2? Or is a non-defective Pro One that hard to inflate and seal? They sure were hard to mount compared to the One's, which mounted pretty easily just by hand. With the Pro One's I had to resort to the bead jack. Would that extra stiffness/tightness make it hard to inflate, or is it possible they were both defective? If a 'normal' Pro One is that stubborn about inflating I guess I'm done with them; the other problem is that One's are impossible to find.
Anyone have experience with other tubeless brands? I hate to go back to tubes

KneeDrachen

Not sure how large a tire you want, but I've always had good experiences with the Bontrager tubeless tires in cyclocross, 28c-32c.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Thanks KneeDrachen, I like the 28mm. Looking at the clearance on the V, I'm also wondering if a 30 would fit.....
Bontrager sounds good. Also wondering about Hutchinson

KneeDrachen

I can only speak from what I have heard *not* at all with experience. Hutchinson is a well respected brand in the cyclocross world for quality and supple casings. I went with Bontrager due to cost but they lack the same tread variety Hutchinson offers. Example: Bontrager didn't have a file tread (still do not think they do) but Hutchinson has file tread in tubeless, tubular and a regular clincher. I always ran mini-knobs since I was never fast enough or put out enough power to worry about the knobs getting squirrely on the pavement in a turn or sprint. I like the idea of a file tread on the S30 for when I run with some splattered red clay type mud on the roads which is kind of common where I now live.

Robert O

Well so far I'm not a fan of the Pro One's. After I had a spoke to break for no apparent reason, and had to redo the rim tape after replacing it and then getting both wheels trued/spokes re-tensioned, I thought it would be a good time to replace the 28mm One's with 28mm Pro One's. Even though the One's really showed no signs of wear they have 2400+ miles on them so off they came. The first Pro One inflated ok with the air compressor but leaked at one spot; the other one wouldn't even begin to inflate. So I put tubes in to mate them with the rims, went for a short ride and the first one was obviously defective---severely out of round. No wonder it leaked. Tried again to inflate the other one without a tube in it--nothing doing. So I put the old One's back on and they inflated just with a standard floor pump. I think they'll do for now.
The question is, did I get 2 defective Pro One's? I can understand getting one just by chance, not even Schwalbe is perfect, and I guess an occasional defective tire slips through. But 2? Or is a non-defective Pro One that hard to inflate and seal? They sure were hard to mount compared to the One's, which mounted pretty easily just by hand. With the Pro One's I had to resort to the bead jack. Would that extra stiffness/tightness make it hard to inflate, or is it possible they were both defective? If a 'normal' Pro One is that stubborn about inflating I guess I'm done with them; the other problem is that One's are impossible to find.
I didn't have any problems with my Pro Ones, but I'm still on the first set (about 2500 miles in). I am going to swap them out for new ones sometime soon, I will let you know if any problems come up.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I just purchased a new set of Pro One tubless for my new disc wheel build, Pacenti rims mated to Industry Nine Torch CX rims. The Pro Ones mounted and inflated without a hitch. I also had a set with no issues mounted on my cheap DT Swiss rims.

ratz

went for a short ride and the first one was obviously defective---severely out of round. No wonder it leaked. Tried again to inflate the other one without a tube in it--nothing doing. So I put the old One's back on and they inflated just with a standard floor pump. I think they'll do for now.

Out of round means they didn't mount into the bead shelf correctly and the tire is only 95% mounted. This will be a function of two things; the diameter of the tire and the thickness of the tape. Each tire and wheel combination is different, so unfortunately doing the first mount of any combination can be an adventure. The recipe you found worked with your One's won't map onto your Pro Ones.

In this case schwable made the Pro a tighter diameter with a stiffer bead. This means once it is mounted it will almost always stay on the rim without air. In fact it is actually hard to un-mount it once it's done right. Meanwhile air leaking at the bead just mean you nicked it when you mounted it. Pretty un-avoidable on some rim. The sealent will take care of that.

Width of tape has some effect on this as well; heavily debated but for me I like the tape to go all the way under the bead an slightly up the slight up the hook; it's more likely to take damage and need replacing with a tire change but they seem to mount easier that way. I'm currently using a double wrap of tape as I have a habit of nicking it when mounting.

Right now I have 8 wheels in the basement with fresh mounting (preping for sebring) . 1 mount was bad because I had bad tape; and another isn't holding air; maybe a bad mount or a bad seal have to check that. The rest hold air for 3 weeks at a crack at 95psi. These are combinations of 23c front wheels and 25c rear wheels. All Pro Ones. I do have some Hutinson stuff to test but that's waiting on Flo to fix my wheels and return them to me. To date my only complaint about the Pro One's is they aren't that sticky; took a right hand 90 degreee corner at 30mph+ and did an "exilerating" two wheel drift to wihin a foot of the on coming traffic lane. That was pilot judgement error