Mount rear brake upstairs?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Okay, so it's now winter I guess, with temps down into the upper fifties. So it's time to get riding and do a little tiding up on the Vendetta.

I'm currently running a Rival rear brake on the lower mount and want to reroute the rear on the upper mount. It seems the Rival won't work. What have you folks found that will work?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I do have a set in my spare parts. But I'm not sure if they will clear a 28mm tire. I tried mounting them on the Silvio last year, and found they would not clear the 28mm tire on the front. However I will give it a try tomorrow.

Is V2.0 and V20 high position the same.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I have a 28mm compass chinook pass tire and the Shimano Ultegra 6800 brake in the upper position. It was a struggle with the cable but eventually it does go on the V2.0

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
David, how do you like it?
Matěj, They are very comfortable on the terrible roads near where I live. Very forgiving, I have them pumped up to 90psi and I put slime in the inner tubes. I just use them for training. They just eat up the road. Before that I had some 23c Michelin tyres and the chattering with the teeth and blurred vision was horrible.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
They are very comfortable on the terrible roads near where I live
I've used the Compass Chinook Pass tires also and it's true, they are very forgiving in the worst of roads.

So we know the FSA and Shimano Ultegra 6800 brakes will work in the upper position with 28mm tires. Unfortunately for me, I gave away my FSA SL-K rear brake, so I was not able to mount it. But I still have the front SL-K and dry fitted to the rear, looks like it will clear the 28mm tire and the frame.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I am over this thread. Is the issue the calipers...
The issue is the Sram caliper reach is too long and interferes with the frame/seat when mounting to the rear upper brake position. However there is not a problem when mounting the Sram calipers to the bottom position.

I don't think rim width is an issue.

A short reach is required in order to utilize the rear upper brake mount. How short and what makes and models?

So far, as far as I know, the FSA SL-K will work in the upper position. And according to David, and the Shimano Ultegra 6800 will barley work. I think Bob (ratz) is using and the Shimano Ultegra 6800 in the upper position also.

What I was worried about, is buying more bike parts for the spare parts bin. I too what to know what will work and what will not work. I had a problem with the FSA SL-K mounting to the front of the Silvio - the top of the tire rubbed the under part of the FSA. The width was fine.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I was able to get SRAM Force "pre-22" to fit the upper position but I had to make a special 90 degree cable out some extra stiff cable house and a rubber frame protector. The 6800 work much better over all, but still has somewhat tight fit, but it has the best braking force I've tried from a RIM brake.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The FSA SLK does work in the upper position. Still, any caliper is going to feel smoother when in the lower position due to the way the housing is routed.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I am over this thread. Is the issue the calipers will not go around the 28mm tire or is there a frame clearance/reach problem? If it is the tire thickness why not let a little air out of the tire, slide the tire by and pump it back up? Reading this post it sounds like the frame requires a different size brake caliper depending on which (upper/lower) brake mount you use. I wanted to go with SRAM calipers to keep all my components the same. Is this impossible if you go SRAM? When ordering brakes do I want long or short reach? Are we limited to using FSA/ Ultegra brakes? I thought the SRAM reds were designed for the new trend wider rims? To sum it up, is the problem tire width, frame reach, or rim width? What is the real deal? How do I know my brakes will fit before ordering them and finding out the hard way?

sram red caliper impacts on the frame itself and will not fit in the top aero position.

BJ686

Just added a brake to the "higher" position. The SRAM rival brake I had been using in the "lower" position would not fit, so I picked up a FSA SLK brake on ebay. The SRAM rival brake was not wide enough and the barrell adjuster hit the frame. The FSA SLK brake is wider and fits (close though). Pics below.

One question though--the mounting area on the frame in the higher position does not have the "grooved ring" to accept the grooved brake spacer like the lower position does. See pics below. I ended up using a spacer anyway and it seems to work, but just wondered if this will present any issues.

Now I just need the upcoming (hopefully) frame bag accessory to become available!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400