My Cycliq Fly6 Issues and Resolution

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I wasn't really sure where to put this, but since I am showing my solution to "my problem", I thought it might go here.

Problem: See picture Fly6 Failure

I discovered the damage after a short ride of about 21 miles, this past Saturday. The Fly6 has never been dropped or abused in any way. If you look carefully, you will see that the "plastic clip/sleeve" that mates up to the mount, has disintegrated. In fact, the missing pieces came off in my hand when I removed the Fly6 from the mount (something I never do...I usually just charge it on the bike and merely remove the MicroSD if I want to view or edit a video). The only reason I removed it was due to the fact that the Fly6 was visibly moving in the mount when I moved my bike.

Solution: See pictures

First, I contacted Cycliq about the failure but since I was "just" out of warranty, they could not repair or replace it out right. To their credit, they did offer to give me a voucher (discount) towards the purchase of a new Fly6. I accepted. However, there is NOTHING operationally wrong with this unit...so I decided to experiment.

First, I carefully ground down the remaining plastic on the unit leaving the top portion intact because I wanted to use that to attach a tether, which I did by carefully drilling a small hole through it.

Then, I used some JB Plastic Weld to attach a Go-Pro Adapter I had in my spare parts bin, to the Fly6. The JB Plastic Weld becomes a somewhat messy, but moldable goo within a matter of just a couple of minutes, so it worked well. I did notice that when I ground down the damaged plastic, there were two "air holes" (?) so I was careful not to cover them. I also made sure not to cover the speaker holes.

I let it set for a couple of hours, even though the JB Plastic Weld package stated that it would be sandable (is that a word?), after 30 minutes. I then used a file to clean up the sides a bit...and used a black marker to color the honey-colored JB Plastic Weld. It's not "pretty", but so far is seems to be working so I'm going to ride with it and see what happens. I'll update later. Hopefully this will serve to assist the community in some small way.

Blessings to all...

Attachments

• Fly6 Failure.jpg
    Fly6 Failure.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 2016-08-17 17.23.41.jpg
    2016-08-17 17.23.41.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 2016-08-17 17.23.10.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I would like to use a Fly6 for a front camera and your solution may be a way to do so.
Bruce B,

The challenge in using the Fly6 for a front camera is that there is no way to turn off the rotating bezel RED blinky that indicates the camera is running (of course that could also be a positive I suppose if you had an encounter with a road rage buffoon :rolleyes:). Cycliq does have a new Fly12 out...you might take a look at that.

https://cycliq.com/products/fly12

I have also used a Mobius camera, which really worked very well for me. The only reason I quit using it was that I wanted the Fly12's combined camera/light and run time (max 10 hrs.).

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The Fly12's run time is a strong incentive.
Thanks
On the other hand the Weight is not an incentive; nor is the crappy mobile software that comes with it; seem like too much of the cost and R&D money went into the mobile software. but that's for another thread. :)

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
On the other hand the Weight is not an incentive; nor is the crappy mobile software that comes with it; seem like too much of the cost and R&D money went into the mobile software. but that's for another thread. :)
I agree with your comments, however, as far as the weight goes, it is a combination light and camera so I'm not sure that the weight is exorbitant. It certainly could be better, but to get a potential 10hrs. I presume that they had to put a substantial battery in it. I do wish they would get the Android app finalized.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I agree with your comments, however, as far as the weight goes, it is a combination light and camera so I'm not sure that the weight is exorbitant. It certainly could be better, but to get a potential 10hrs. I presume that they had to put a substantial battery in it. I do wish they would get the Android app finalized.
I would love to see them do a camera only unit; the light just isn't that good. but yes most of the weight seems to be the battery

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I wonder if it spent too much time in direct sunlight?
That can make plastics brittle and easily broken.

I think the Fly6's mount is poorly designed all-round. They'd have done better by making the tab simpler and allowing different mounts to be screwed onto an adapter plate.

Oh well!