My journey to a V20

Mixerman

Just wanted to introduce myself. A few of you already know me. I bought a heart rate monitor from @ratz 2 years ago on BROL, and we've been Strava buddies since way back then too. I started following @LarryOz on Strava way back when he first got his Silvio and got to witness his amazing progression. Larry and I are the exact same size, 4'11" ;) so he was very helpful when I emailed him a while back about a used Vendetta I was looking at. I've also followed many other Cruzbikers and their amazing journeys, including Jason, who I'm a little closer in age to, being 34 years old.

I've been a Lightning P-38 pilot for the last 5 years. It was my dream to eventually go full fairing with the F-40. That dream became a reality in August, but Cruzbike didn't make it an easy decision.
As my F-40 funds were materializing last spring, I was continuously lured by the Vendetta with every crowning achievement of it's racers. As a shorter rider, I never felt comfortable on a dual 700c bent. But can I even ride the thing?, I kept wondering... I decided to contact Cruzbike for a test drive. I was fortunate to meet up with @Lucia to try a Qx100 and an S30. Just a few minutes in and I got the hang of MBB. Crap, I thought this was gonna be harder. I was honestly hoping I would not find it enjoyable so I could stop thinking about it and go after my streamlined dream. My experience was quite the opposite and I didn't want my test drive to end. I spent several months agonizing on which way to go. A new V was out of my budget, and I struggled to find the right used bike.

After a few months of soul searching I decided I needed to experience riding fully faired while I was so close to getting there, already had my '38 modded and ready for the fairing. Learning how to pilot the F-40 was terrifying and exhilarating, especially in windy conditions. With less than a month of practice I raced the F-40 in the last local TT event of the season and broke the faired recumbent record held by builder/racer George Reynolds for a decade.

2 days later on September 9, 2016, I went out for a joyride on the bare p-38 without the fairing and was struck/runover by an SUV a mile into my ride. As I was traveling straight, the driver coming towards me claims he was blinded by solar glare and didn't see me as he turned left into me and ran me over. I fractured my pelvis, ribs, left wrist/ankle and took a helicopter ride to the hospital. My P-38 was completely destroyed.

Recovery has been a journey but I just started walking again 2 weeks ago! I got a Kickr Snap for Christmas and have been anxious to get the legs spinning again.
I bought a V20 complete just before the end of the year and master builder Robert has started building her up!

This time around I decided to go with the V20 for a few more reasons. I still have some discomfort in my lower back/bum and know that I put a lot of pressure there when I ride the more upright p-38. I still have some numbness in my foot from damaging my L5. Also since I'm kind of starting over again, seems like a great time to try a new platform and train the new muscles.
I'm looking forward to gaining my strength back, joining this great community, and riding outside in the spring. It will be interesting to compare my p-38/F-40 segments with the V20 and I can't wait to see how the V mixes in with my upright buddies. Till then, maybe I'll see some of you guys on Zwift soon :)

αlex
http://www.strava.com/athletes/534250

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Alex that wasn't how I was hoping we'd lure you over to the tribe, but dam I excited to have you in the fold. I was pretty devastated when I heard about your accident; and no I'm stoked about your progress. Looking forward to photos of you and your new ride.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I completely agree with Ratz. What a horrible way to come to Cruzbikes, but we're glad to have you.

I've already been facinated by the F40. I'm waiting for somebody to put a full sock on a V1.x Silvio to see how it compares to an F40.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I completely agree with ratz and Charles. Sounds like you are lucky to be able to ride anything other than a wheelchair.

A Cruzbike bends in the middle. How can you put a sock on that?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Welcome - welcome - welcome to the tribe Alex.
Wow - what a wreck - what a recovery - what a story.
Can't wait to see pics of you on your Vendetta!
Keep getting better Alex! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Robert O

Just wanted to introduce myself. A few of you already know me. I bought a heart rate monitor from @ratz 2 years ago on BROL, and we've been Strava buddies since way back then too. I started following @LarryOz on Strava way back when he first got his Silvio and got to witness his amazing progression. Larry and I are the exact same size, 4'11" ;) so he was very helpful when I emailed him a while back about a used Vendetta I was looking at. I've also followed many other Cruzbikers and their amazing journeys, including Jason, who I'm a little closer in age to, being 34 years old.

I've been a Lightning P-38 pilot for the last 5 years. It was my dream to eventually go full fairing with the F-40. That dream became a reality in August, but Cruzbike didn't make it an easy decision.
As my F-40 funds were materializing last spring, I was continuously lured by the Vendetta with every crowning achievement of it's racers. As a shorter rider, I never felt comfortable on a dual 700c bent. But can I even ride the thing?, I kept wondering... I decided to contact Cruzbike for a test drive. I was fortunate to meet up with @Lucia to try a Qx100 and an S30. Just a few minutes in and I got the hang of MBB. Crap, I thought this was gonna be harder. I was honestly hoping I would not find it enjoyable so I could stop thinking about it and go after my streamlined dream. My experience was quite the opposite and I didn't want my test drive to end. I spent several months agonizing on which way to go. A new V was out of my budget, and I struggled to find the right used bike.

After a few months of soul searching I decided I needed to experience riding fully faired while I was so close to getting there, already had my '38 modded and ready for the fairing. Learning how to pilot the F-40 was terrifying and exhilarating, especially in windy conditions. With less than a month of practice I raced the F-40 in the last local TT event of the season and broke the faired recumbent record held by builder/racer George Reynolds for a decade.

2 days later on September 9, 2016, I went out for a joyride on the bare p-38 without the fairing and was struck/runover by an SUV a mile into my ride. As I was traveling straight, the driver coming towards me claims he was blinded by solar glare and didn't see me as he turned left into me and ran me over. I fractured my pelvis, ribs, left wrist/ankle and took a helicopter ride to the hospital. My P-38 was completely destroyed.

Recovery has been a journey but I just started walking again 2 weeks ago! I got a Kickr Snap for Christmas and have been anxious to get the legs spinning again.
I bought a V20 complete just before the end of the year and master builder Robert has started building her up!

This time around I decided to go with the V20 for a few more reasons. I still have some discomfort in my lower back/bum and know that I put a lot of pressure there when I ride the more upright p-38. I still have some numbness in my foot from damaging my L5. Also since I'm kind of starting over again, seems like a great time to try a new platform and train the new muscles.
I'm looking forward to gaining my strength back, joining this great community, and riding outside in the spring. It will be interesting to compare my p-38/F-40 segments with the V20 and I can't wait to see how the V mixes in with my upright buddies. Till then, maybe I'll see some of you guys on Zwift soon :)

αlex
http://www.strava.com/athletes/534250

Welcome! Glad to have you aboard. Heck, glad to still have you around!

Bentas

Really inspirational story Alex , glad your on the mend , I'm 59 yrs and 4'10" a bit closer to Larrys height and age but that's the only area that we are similar, I average about half the speed that he does, and that's on a good day.
I've been riding my homebuilt mbb for a few years now and love the format, shorter person 700c wheels no bother.
Like you I've been lusting after Vendetta ,but it has been out of my budget, hence tweaking my home built to get as close to V specs as possible, but it's not a V , I've finally winged and pleaded and prayed enough to convince my wife to agree to put money aside each week for a new or used V20 frameset ,should have the funds by June, maybe sooner if a used one appears, ( rare as hens teeth in Aus) with my neck issues I had been deliberating over the new S30 no front suspension and more upright seat, or the V ,but after seeing what Rick Younblood and others have done with seat mods on the V , I'm convinced I can make the V work for me , anywho thanks for you post it helped to further convince me that I'm on the right track.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Wow compared to you my broken wrists don't seem all that serious. I hope your continued recovery is smooth and look forward to see you in the real and virtual world on your new V20.

Mixerman

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the words of encouragement, it's been a long few months. I just got back from an outpatient physical therapy session and rode the recumbent exercise bike for the first time with no issues. I got the green light to ride the Vendetta on my trainer when she arrives. My range of motion in my wrist has improved in every direction since my last session 2 weeks ago. I'm sure all the snow I shoveled this week helped with that. Jason, I hope your wrists continue to improve as well!

Thank you all, I'm thrilled to be part of the tribe! And for the record, I'm not actually 4'11", but you all knew that ;)

pedlpadl

Welcome aboard!

I got a Kickr Snap for Christmas

I got one as well. Once you get it, follow the instructions for tire pressure, setting the tension on the roller and doing an advanced spin down. If you have problems with spikes in resistance every few seconds, first thing to try is a firmware upgrade:

You'll need an iPhone or iPad to do this. In the IOS Wahoo Fitness app, click on sensors in the lower left. Pair with your KICKR Snap if you haven't already. Once it is paired and connected, tap on the grey Snap icon five times to get to the firmware update screen. Select 2.1.6 (Beta) and follow the instructions.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the words of encouragement, it's been a long few months. I just got back from an outpatient physical therapy session and rode the recumbent exercise bike for the first time with no issues. I got the green light to ride the Vendetta on my trainer when she arrives. My range of motion in my wrist has improved in every direction since my last session 2 weeks ago. I'm sure all the snow I shoveled this week helped with that. Jason, I hope your wrists continue to improve as well!

Thank you all, I'm thrilled to be part of the tribe! And for the record, I'm not actually 4'11", but you all knew that ;)

Ok five two and tough as teak thanks for sharing what is a very trying time for yourself. Welcome. Your story is a triumph of spirit. Inspiring as it is difficult. On your road of recovery may you find in kind what I did here. A truly great bunch of cycling nuts and sages. Stay strong.

Mixerman

Well today has been 1 month since I received my V20. Since then I've ridden nearly everyday. The bike on the Kickr Snap running Zwift has been the perfect tool to get me rehabilitated. My walking is so much better right after I get off the bike and has now improved to the point where people can't tell I was injured. A few weeks ago we cut down to 1 day a week of PT and looks like next week will be my last, still working on my wrist.

As far as riding outside goes... When I first got the bike I did some Fred Flintstoning and figure 8s around my driveway for a few days between workouts on the kickr. A couple weeks ago I took her out on my local path for a little death grip spin, practicing sitting up and slowing down at intersections. It was really cold and we had a bunch of snowstorms right after so back on the kickr for a while till yesterday..
We got a nice 50° day so I took her out for my first road ride since the accident for a quick 14 mile loop. Much more comfortable this time, tho my heart raced everytime a vehicle passed, haha. Sadness came over me as I arrived back home wishing I told my wife I'd be gone a little longer. She was a nervous wreck seeing me go back on the road again. Looks like we got some more good weather coming later this week so I'm looking forward to getting out some more and getting more comfortable. Feels so good to be outside again! Feels so good to feel like me again.

When's the next Cruzbike Zwift group ride?! ☺️

Attachments

• 20170219_121805-2016x1268.jpg
    20170219_121805-2016x1268.jpg
    764.3 KB · Views: 36