My new recumbent bicycle

Max Id

Ok, so the new recumbent is just built; by the way, this is the first bicycle I’ve built entirely myself. Some pictures here:
IMG_20170625_160000_hdr.jpg
IMG_20170625_160010_hdr.jpg IMG_20170625_160039_hdr.jpg IMG_20170625_160058_hdr.jpg IMG_20170625_160121_hdr.jpg
Assembling

For those who are interested in exact spec that works:
Shifers: SRAM Rival 22
Front Derailleur: SRAM Rival 22 Yaw
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Rival 22 Medium Cage
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Tiagra
Chainset: Shimano 105 11s 50-34
Cassette: Shimano 105 11-32
Wheelset: Mavic Ksyrium Disc ( center-lock )
Front Brake: TRP Spyre with adapter ( included ), 140mm center-lock rotor ( ordered separately )
Rear Brake: Shimano Ultegra Rim Brake ( Rear )
Rotor lockring: DT Swiss
Chain: Shimano 11s – you will need two chains
Pedals: Shimano SPD A530, they are double-sided, very convenient on traffic lights.
Cables: in addition to those supplied with shifters I bought 3m Shimano gear cables + long brake cable for the rear brake

I cut 10cm of that black tube with ruler marks J to make it shorter, otherwise I could not reach pedals with my feet.

The frame is clearly SRAM-centric. For example Shimano Front Derailleur will work worse than a SRAM one because it has different shape, so the cable angle will not be optimal one, resulting in higher tension and poorer shifting.
Braze-on bracket does not support compact chainsets well; there is still around 1cm gap between chainring’s teeth and derailleur cage. If the wheels are center-lock, then disc rotors, even 140m ones, can’t be fitted on the rear without modifying frame, because rotor lockring rubs the swingarm. I decided to just use rim brake, since it contributes much less to braking process.
Bottom bracket - new Shimanos won't work, you will need something with big external cup diameter

First ride

The complexity of starting to ride a Cruzbike is greatly exaggerated. I was able to just sit and ride straight away, but that’s probably because it is not my first recumbent. Of course it feels quite different, mostly because of the heavier front comparing to rear; this is noticeable on tight turns. On a positive side, that notorious heel strike is not possible. I haven’t adapted the “climbing technique” yet, but I already feel definite improvement over my last bike – the Vendetta is much lighter and more responsive.

Handling
Standing on the traffic lights is waaaay better than on my former recumbent; the Vendetta is much lower, my both feet contact the ground effortlessly. Tried climbing a 9% “reference” hill close to my location. Starting on the hill is very complex, because as soon as I press on pedal, the front wheel slips, and I lose balance. I did manage to start finally while wobbling heavily, but if there were cars, I would be in trouble L. The climbing itself is ok, if you manage to keep balance.Tried riding at the speed around 30km/h so far; the bicycle feels rather stable. Of course, much more practicing is needed; so far I won’t risk commuting to City.

“The Look”

This recumbent looks absolutely fantastic, the best looking bike I have ever owned. It looks as if it was about to take off.

Concerns

Because Vendetta is so light, it really feels fragile, I am not joking, especially swing arms – they are so thin, I can’t believe they can last reasonable time! Every time I hit a bump or a crack in asphalt ( it is hard to find good quality road in London ), I am subtracting one day from frame’s maximum life time L. Of course guys here reassured me the frame is strong, but to me strong frame == heavy frame with thick tubing. Luckily I only weigh 63kg, so it should be easier for the bicycle to carry my butt.

Special thanks

I would like to say big Thank You to the people who brought this bike to life, and the ones on this forum. It is quite difficult to find such a helpful and supportive community, so I am happy that I managed to find it here.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
That also looks like a nice bike. Suspension may be missed but efficiency will be worth it . I'm still trying to get comfortable on mine. I can ride fine i just need to feel more natural on the bike. More miles I suppose

Bill K

Guru
Looks nice! I can barely remember when my V20 was that... clean!

If the V20 was breakable mine would have broken by now. I even drilled holes in the chain stay and in the boom so the Shimano DI2 wiring could all be internal.
Starting on an uphill grade took me time and practice. I have practiced on a 13% grade when the street was wet from rain. Spinning the wheel is caused by pushing too hard on the pedal, or leaning back in the seat which takes weight off the front tire.
Once you are comfortable riding slow you won't feel the need to push as hard on the pedal when starting on a steep hill.
Sounds like it won't take you very long.

Max Id

Looks nice! I can barely remember when my V20 was that... clean!

If the V20 was breakable mine would have broken by now. I even drilled holes in the chain stay and in the boom so the Shimano DI2 wiring could all be internal.

Starting on an uphill grade took me time and practice. I have practiced on a 13% grade when the street was wet from rain. Spinning the wheel is caused by pushing too hard on the pedal, or leaning back in the seat which takes weight off the front tire.
Once you are comfortable riding slow you won't feel the need to push as hard on the pedal when starting on a steep hill.
Sounds like it won't take you very long.
Hey Bill, thanks for encouraging words. Other than reliability concerns, this bicycle is amazing. I have just come back from a night ride - there is a section of a relatively flat tarmac. On the former recumbent I could not accelerate more than 36 kmph, and the effort spent was dramatic. On this one, well... I relatively easily managed 40,and that's without any preparation! Regarding going slowly - I can ride at a walking pace quite easily, but just can't start uphill so far.

Max Id

That also looks like a nice bike. Suspension may be missed but efficiency will be worth it . I'm still trying to get comfortable on mine. I can ride fine i just need to feel more natural on the bike. More miles I suppose
True, I didn't suspect there are so many bumps in my area :)

Jeremy S

Dude
Braze-on bracket does not support compact chainsets well; there is still around 1cm gap between chainring’s teeth and derailleur cage.

I can't believe this is normal (it's not true for my Silvio). Did you hear from Cruzbike support about this?

Max Id

I can't believe this is normal (it's not true for my Silvio). Did you hear from Cruzbike support about this?
Some SRAM FDs have two holes to mount on the bracket - one is for compact chainset. However, neither mine nor Shimano ones have this second hole. I took a look at Jim's and Maria's Vendettas - visually they also have a big gap...

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
What size tires are you running? I just switched to 28mm Gatorskins on my V2 and the clearance is just enough but looks significantly tighter than your clearance. Make me wonder about geometry changes since my version.

-Eric

LMT

Very nice, interesting using a rim brake on the rear wheel rather than a disk - never thought of that before. Enjoy your new ride.

RE Starting uphill: Try pulling away in a gear that is two or three down from what you'd use if you was on your Furai. So if the gear you used on your Furai was 39*28 on the V20 try using 39*26 or even 39*25.

I found in a higher gear the torque delivered is less short and sharp then what it would be in a low gear.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Max Id said:
I cut 10cm of that black tube

Somebody else gets hacksaw-happy. It is getting fashionable. What do you call a shortened Cruzbike? A chopper? Just beware of shavings.

I used to have big trouble getting my Silvio away from a standing start. I was pushing my back into the seat, as I do on my Grasshopper. On the Silvio I had to learn to pull the bars instead. Also, leaning forward helps. This might be hard to do if the bars are too close to your chest. You might have loads of space between the bars and your knees. I experimented with several alternative bars in several positions until I found a way to give myself enough space to sit up straight. This also gave me the ability to ride at a walking pace. Silly idea. These bikes are for going fast.

I went into a hole in the road. The LBS straightened my wheels. Then I did it again. They fixed my wheels again. They said the next time I do it I will need new wheels. Do not worry about your frame.

Anyway, congrats on getting a Cruzbike.

Max Id

Somebody else gets hacksaw-happy. It is getting fashionable. What do you call a shortened Cruzbike? A chopper? Just beware of shavings.

I used to have big trouble getting my Silvio away from a standing start. I was pushing my back into the seat, as I do on my Grasshopper. On the Silvio I had to learn to pull the bars instead. Also, leaning forward helps. This might be hard to do if the bars are too close to your chest. You might have loads of space between the bars and your knees. I experimented with several alternative bars in several positions until I found a way to give myself enough space to sit up straight. This also gave me the ability to ride at a walking pace. Silly idea. These bikes are for going fast.

I went into a hole in the road. The LBS straightened my wheels. Then I did it again. They fixed my wheels again. They said the next time I do it I will need new wheels. Do not worry about your frame.

Anyway, congrats on getting a Cruzbike.
Thanks for encouraging words, will ride it hard! :)

Max Id

Ok, today first commute to work - maneuvering in City is quite tough because of many cars and even more cyclists. Traffic lights is a pure nightmare - I used to sprint on the Furai while reclined, but on Vendetta that's not possible - the front wheel slips.
So I have to accelerate while seating straight, and once the speed is stable, lean back. Vendetta speeds up pretty quickly, almost on par with DFs. I am kind of missing my suspension, on the Furai I did not notice all those bumps! However, to me having a responsive bike is more important than having a "soft" one.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Ok, today first commute to work - maneuvering in City is quite tough because of many cars and even more cyclists. Traffic lights is a pure nightmare - I used to sprint on the Furai while reclined, but on Vendetta that's not possible - the front wheel slips.
So I have to accelerate while seating straight, and once the speed is stable, lean back. Vendetta speeds up pretty quickly, almost on par with DFs. I am kind of missing my suspension, on the Furai I did not notice all those bumps! However, to me having a responsive bike is more important than having a "soft" one.

Tire choice seems to matter a lot on the Silvio w.r.t. delivering power without wheel slips.
Looks like you have Conti GP 4000s, which I've heard are good tires.
I'd been using Schwlbe Pro One tubeless 28s, which seem to give good grip (tubeless so I can run 'em a somewhat lower pressure, which seems to afford more grip).

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I suspect that on the Furai you press your back hard into the seat, as I do on my Grasshopper. This seems like the natural, intuitive thing to do. I had to unlearn it for the Silvio. I used to commute on the Grasshopper. I remember when I first graduated to the Silvio. There is a huge roundabout called Gallows Corner. On the approach, I used to try not to stop, and go shooting out into the traffic, and hope.

I suspect the Vendetta is more challenging than the Silvio. Commuting is a good way to learn fast.

Bill K

Guru
So, on your commute to work you can do sit-ups, and pull-ups and speed intervals, all while pedaling the V20.
Almost a full-body workout!
I sit straight-up all the time, partly for better visibility, partly for better balance, and sometimes for better traction.