Neck rest?seat angle issues

Winded Lowrider

For anyone following my "seat saga", I whipped up a foam wedgie out of pink panther foam to prop up my upper back. This brings my neck more vertical and allows me to see and balance better on the bike. It also improves the power I can generate ( probably because I'm just more comfortable). It's less aero for sure. I will likely switch to a Thor seat (when all the fitting details are worked out) . But this has been a huge improvement over the stock flat seat.CruzBikeWedgie.JPG

Winded Lowrider

Already painted it black....I can build anything out of pink foam, only problem is that it only lasts so long...unless you epoxy and fiberglass over it....

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ok Testing finished on the Thor Medium and Large Seats.
  • On a Medium seat you need 2 shims (front and rear) to make the seats fit.
  • On a Large Seat you need 1 shim (front only) to make the seat fit.
I suspect on an X-large you will need 1 shim as well. and on a Small you will need two shims. This is based on the curve of the seats.

The majority of the connection is via velcro like the standard seat.

The rubber used to make the shims is the as the recommend by @Rick Youngblood
http://tinyurl.com/ybb5rsrq

First here are the shim dimensions
2017-11-19_14-54-03.png

The Shims as configured allow only two bolts to be used at the front of the seat to do the mounting; and velcro like the stock seat can make up the rest of the attachment; leaving the seat easy to remove for transport and storage.

IMG_0249.jpg IMG_0277.jpg
Corrected Better Washers
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076C9RC3H

Last edited:

ratz

Making a Bottle holder setup for now was a pretty simple hack saw job. The assembly stay nice an sold once tightened. Locktie probably RED lockite would be a good idea for an outside setup. This gives a simple setup for double bottle until I consider other other options. It also works with my legacy double bags behind the head approach.

IMG_0266.jpg

The results of putting the seat on was a interesting.

I was too big for the medium; but just barely it pushed me just a tad too far forward on the bike and scrunched me up, not comfortable. Meanwhile the large is very comfortable. but a tad too big. Meanwhile Pluckyblond fits in the Medium perfectly. You can see that effect on how our head rest are mounted. (For the indoor setup I'm using the Thor prototype heat reset, for outdoors I plan to try the long proven ADEM's.

This is PB's medium. with the head rest at it's lowest stock position. She extend up and out of her seat.

IMG_0273.jpg IMG_0270.jpg

This is my Large. The head rest arm had to be heated, straighten (not easy) and then mounted lower. Notice how very low. This is because the seat extended up past the point of contact with my back, (Still completely behind my body) So the headrest needs to be really low.

IMG_0274.jpgIMG_0276.jpgIMG_0275.jpg

Because my seat is longer and mounted without the rear shim I have to rotate my bottole backward or they hit the head rest and the helmet. PB's bike they are almost vertical.

End result is that the Large Seat is more Areo than the Medium without the rear shim; my head remains just barely higher than my knees when pedaling. On the medium I'd be considerably higher and in the wind; or so it feels. PB meanwhile is higher now than on the stock seat but just barely, not enough to worry about it. In both case our forward facing angle is improved. The Giro helmets should work better and vision should be improved. From the trainers power feel easier to create, more time is required to prove that out.

You could get an equally low seat position on the medium if your remove the rear shim. However, that would then require bolting the back of the seat to the bike. Because without the shim the seat tips such that it only contacts the frame at the two mounting points; and thus the velcro provides no holding power.

Maria Parker

Administrator
Thanks for this thread. We're always trying to make improvements. Jim and I (and lots of others) have ridden thousands of miles (climbing and otherwise) on the stock seat. I was a lot happier when I got the performance adjustable headrest. I think the stock seat still works well for the majority of our customers. As you know, we have lots of development into our current frame, seat and headrest with accessories. Keep us posted on your comfort and results with other seats.

Winded Lowrider

Ratz:

I can't thank you enough for doing all the dirty work on this Thor seat custom fit kit. Gonna order mine now!

In my opinion the stock cruzbike seat has been the achilles heel of the cruzbike design. Its needs more adjustment and upper back support for accommodating different rider physiques. This is something many recumbent designers struggle with. Mesh seats, hard shell, angle, neck rest, sight line.. so many variables to juggle.

ratz

Photos with the Carbon Aero Case should be ready on the holiday weekend.

Jesse Groves

Can anyone tell me how much they paid for their Thor seat? I sent an inquiry about purchasing one (Carbon large G sport); I then received an email from Greg saying it was $185.00 plus $35 shipping. Does that sound right? I expected it to be more expensive. Am I ordering the correct seat?

Also, thanks Ratz for figuring out the mounting for the rest of us that aren't so mechanically inclined!

BJ686

Can anyone tell me how much they paid for their Thor seat? I sent an inquiry about purchasing one (Carbon large G sport); I then received an email from Greg saying it was $185.00 plus $35 shipping. Does that sound right? I expected it to be more expensive. Am I ordering the correct seat?

Yep, that is what I paid. The key is to order the "Sport" version, which it looks like you did. I own both a medium and a large. Just as a note in case helpful---I am about 6 feet tall, and the large is more aero for me as the "curve" for your back starts later than the medium and thus does not raise your head/neck as high as the medium. However, I find the medium more comfortable for the same reason---it curves the back earlier which creates a more upright and natural position at the head/neck (but less aero). In either case, I find both more comfortable than the stock seat that is flat.

Brad

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy

Also, thanks Ratz for figuring out the mounting for the rest of us that aren't so mechanically inclined!

One of the very rare cases of too good to be true being actually true. Greg charges a fair price for a gray product which is why everyone promotes his seat so much. We all feel like sponsored racers at that price.

Jesse Groves

One of the very rare cases of too good to be true being actually true. Greg charges a fair price for a gray product which is why everyone promotes his seat so much. We all feel like sponsored racers at that price.
I was definitely thinking it was too good to be true; plus his email had the same type of spelling and language errors that my Nigerian Prince friend use to have in his emails.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
!

As noted above, Thor’s seats are a steal when compared to US competition.

Bacchetta hardshell @450$ not shipped
https://www.bacchettabikes.com/product/seat-carbon-hard-shell-complete/

Hostel Shoppe @295$ not shipped
https://hostelshoppe.com/VOLAE-Hardshell-Comfort-Carbon-Fiber-Seat-Small-156881/

Bob, great job on the write up.

Bruce B

Jesse Groves,

My Thor medium Sport cost the same in March 2016.

The present order page is a big step up.

ratz

One thing to note; The shipping to the US can be a bit hard on things. There are a couple spots on my seats where the epoxy was worn through to the carbon weave, (two seats back to front rubbing) a quick coat of clear nail-polish and all is good. Inspect and polish as needed to make sure that seat last a good long time.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
... the Thor prototype headrest ...

I'm curious about this headrest. Can you post a photo of either you or Pluckyblond using the headrest? Especially the difference between the red and yellowish one. The red looks like you'd be star gazing...

The piece that cups the base of your head/top of your neck looks like a good replacement for the pad on the suspension adjustable headrest. BTW, I'm happy with mine now that I've replaced the crappy screws with two SS M4 button bolts and two nylock nuts. A hybrid of the Thor prototype rest plate mounted on the suspension adjustable headrest might be even better.

-Eric