New To Cruzbike and your T50?

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
I am learning and am getting better at starting, which seems to be my really weak area. I went today on my first club ride with this bike, doing 34 miles averaging about 14 mph. No real climbs, one small downhill and back up the same thing. I next need to see exactly how steep a climb I can manage with a small gear of 40x34. I am used to 24x34, but the T50 does climb a little better than my Tour Easy.

Frisard

Thank you for the response.

Yes, perhaps the stem was already cut. The included paper said to cut it to nine inches and it is longer than that, but I didn't really understand what it was telling me to do. I also considered that they are busy sending out the bikes and recovering from RAAM. I don't mind taking a number, but I guess it would be nice to know my messages have been received after a couple of days have gone by. Maybe the start of the new week will bring a response. :) Sometimes a quick phone call can get the answers much more quickly than numerous back and forth emails.

My budget dictates that I not spend any more on this bike than I have already spent at this time, considering that I paid the premium shipping and so forth for the complete. I just really wish the seat cushion were better quality. Grips are not expensive. One of mine came with a slit down the side and probably won't hold up long and I will be replacing them, but that is not a big ticket item. A new seat cushion is. I even considered trying to find foam and make something, but it would be difficult to find a material that ventilates the back. A foam seat pad I am used to.

I just watched the video for the frameset build and realize that there is a part mentioned in that video that is not installed on my bike, a locking headset spacer. I don't know how important it is but from the video it sounds important. Is that why my handlebars are not holding straight?

As for the accessories, I don't know the answer. Hopefully I will get a response soon to my emails, phone call and FB message. :)
According to Robert the locking spacer is not necessary. I did not get one and put things together without it. He said the boom slider clamp would hold things in place, and he is correct. I am surprised you say that your handle bars are not holding straight. My stem riser is so tight that I had to use a rubber mallet to install it. The locking spacer would not correct your problem. Perhaps tightening the boom clamp slider would fix the problem. Another problem may be that the stem needs to be tightened. An Allen wrench would fix either problem.
Happy riding.

Vicki C.

According to Robert the locking spacer is not necessary. I did not get one and put things together without it. He said the boom slider clamp would hold things in place, and he is correct. I am surprised you say that your handle bars are not holding straight. My stem riser is so tight that I had to use a rubber mallet to install it. The locking spacer would not correct your problem. Perhaps tightening the boom clamp slider would fix the problem. Another problem may be that the stem needs to be tightened. An Allen wrench would fix either problem.
Happy riding.

I took the bike to my local Cruzbike dealer. He watched the assembly video and said the locking spacer was installed in the wrong order. He said it was loose and tightened things up. He used a wrench that I don't have. I don't know what exactly he did but he said it is better now.

Brad R

Don't rush it. You'll get there when you're ready.

@Vicki C.

My clipless pedals that I use in all my recumbents have a platform around the clip. This helped me with numb-foot and also helps a lot with being able to unclip early and keep pedaling until the need to put foot down.

It also helps on start because I can easily pedal a few rotations before clipping 2nd foot in if I miss on the first apply of foot.

When you get ready to start with your clipless pedals, do some low speed practice because unclipping (at least with SPD and twist release) causes a steering input.

Have fun.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all. Sorry for the radio silence but it has been nonstop busy for me. THANK YOU to everyone here who has been posting tips and tricks for everyone - it is more helpful that you can even imagine to have the support. It is very easy for me to be swamped with calls and emails about technical stuff and they pile up fast - and I am working hard to get the completes built and out to those backers in addition to answering all the questions and keep up with other current orders/shipping.

Please bear with me as I get all the stuff out and other bits and bobs as they are needed (Vicki C - I haven't forgotten) and balancing even getting to ride myself (I haven't had a chance to ride a bike for three weeks) Heh
:)

Robert

DavidJL

I was just wondering if the folks at Cruzbike paid any attention to all the mods users have been doing. Would be interesting to find out how many have actually done the various mods. Was about ready to give up on posting stuff for others to read and look at. Building up bikes does take time. I do know I would not have done the steering mod if someone hadn't already done it and posted it.

Vicki C.

Hey all. Sorry for the radio silence but it has been nonstop busy for me. THANK YOU to everyone here who has been posting tips and tricks for everyone - it is more helpful that you can even imagine to have the support. It is very easy for me to be swamped with calls and emails about technical stuff and they pile up fast - and I am working hard to get the completes built and out to those backers in addition to answering all the questions and keep up with other current orders/shipping.

Please bear with me as I get all the stuff out and other bits and bobs as they are needed (Vicki C - I haven't forgotten) and balancing even getting to ride myself (I haven't had a chance to ride a bike for three weeks) Heh
:)

Robert

You are appreciated!

Vicki C.

@Vicki C.

My clipless pedals that I use in all my recumbents have a platform around the clip. This helped me with numb-foot and also helps a lot with being able to unclip early and keep pedaling until the need to put foot down.

It also helps on start because I can easily pedal a few rotations before clipping 2nd foot in if I miss on the first apply of foot.

When you get ready to start with your clipless pedals, do some low speed practice because unclipping (at least with SPD and twist release) causes a steering input.

Have fun.

The ones I bought for this bike are exactly that, heavy, but supposedly super easy to clip and unclip. But I am in no rush. Still doing 40+ mile flat rides and working out bike fit. I am enjoying the journey.

Brad R

My T50 is the fastest bike I have ever owned. This is fun.

I took a 30 mile ride on Saturday (actually 2 15 mile rides with about a 40 minute break in between). It was an out and back with a net 400 feet of drop in elevation on the way out and a 5-10 mph wind that was mostly a tailwind on the way out. I averaged 20mph on the way out and 15 mph on the way back for an overall average of 17 mph. On my trike, when the tailwind is strong enough to give me a 20mph outbound leg, my return leg is usually around 12 mph for an average of about 15mph.

So, the T50 seams to be about 2 mph faster for me.

Today I rode 20 miles without stopping ( 10 out and 10 back along the same route as Saturday) with about 300 foot net change in acceleration.

There was less wind and I averaged 17.4 on the way out and 16.7 on the way back for an overall of 17.0 mph. Pretty good consistency.

This is the fastest bike that I have ever owned. I find that for the short hills around here, I can attack everything below a 10% grade and maintain speed very well. The longest and steepest hill on this ride is about 2 miles from home. I often ride up this hill between 3 and 6 mph on my trike. Tonight I attacked the hill and rode up about 90% of the hill at a speed greater than 10 mph and when my lungs gave out I slowed to a resting pace of 6 mph. With a bit more training I will be able to make it over the top at the higher speed.

I can't explain why I am able to go up hill so much faster on this bike ( I am not doing the rocking the arms technique that Jim Parker describes), but it sure adds to the fun and helps the average speed tremendously.

I know you guys and gals with Vendettas will find the T50 slower, but what about the rest of you? How does your T50 experience compare with your other bikes and trikes?

Vicki C.

I took a 30 mile ride on Saturday (actually 2 15 mile rides with about a 40 minute break in between). It was an out and back with a net 400 feet of drop in elevation on the way out and a 5-10 mph wind that was mostly a tailwind on the way out. I averaged 20mph on the way out and 15 mph on the way back for an overall average of 17 mph. On my trike, when the tailwind is strong enough to give me a 20mph outbound leg, my return leg is usually around 12 mph for an average of about 15mph.

So, the T50 seams to be about 2 mph faster for me.

Today I rode 20 miles without stopping ( 10 out and 10 back along the same route as Saturday) with about 300 foot net change in acceleration.

There was less wind and I averaged 17.4 on the way out and 16.7 on the way back for an overall of 17.0 mph. Pretty good consistency.

This is the fastest bike that I have ever owned. I find that for the short hills around here, I can attack everything below a 10% grade and maintain speed very well. The longest and steepest hill on this ride is about 2 miles from home. I often ride up this hill between 3 and 6 mph on my trike. Tonight I attacked the hill and rode up about 90% of the hill at a speed greater than 10 mph and when my lungs gave out I slowed to a resting pace of 6 mph. With a bit more training I will be able to make it over the top at the higher speed.

I can't explain why I am able to go up hill so much faster on this bike ( I am not doing the rocking the arms technique that Jim Parker describes), but it sure adds to the fun and helps the average speed tremendously.

I know you guys and gals with Vendettas will find the T50 slower, but what about the rest of you? How does your T50 experience compare with your other bikes and trikes?

I am not as fast as you are but I am keeping a similar pace as I do on my Tour Easy. Usually I ride at between 14-16, but it depends on terrain and wind. I have ridden over 600 miles on the T50 since I got it together about a month ago and except for the bit of butt pain it has been fun. With the 40t ring everything through about 8° grade is fine but a few of the 10-12° grades with turns caused me to lose my straight line and I would put my foot down. So I am having a compact double added and hope the 10-12° grades will be easier and I can be more consistent on them and maybe steeper grades won't get me all off kilter. I do feel I have gotten stronger riding the T50 this month. And I think it is toning my arms, too. ;)

Best ride so far:. 44 miles with 1250 of elevation gain. Longest ride 60 miles. I will do a metric this coming weekend with 2000 feet of gain. I hope the T50 gets a lot of attention!

The front wheel drive bikes definitely climb better than the other recumbents, although I know a lot of fast people on different bikes and trikes. I ride with people on Silvios and Vendettas and know I won't compete with them, but I wouldn't on any bike. :)

rx7mark

Guru

Not the fastest for me yet, but I am only two weeks into riding my T50. I was confident enough to ride to work today, about 12 miles. There were a couple places I had to walk up a hill, not because I couldn't make it up the hill, but because I can't keep a straight line below a certain speed, and there was traffic. Need more hill practice! Especially starting up a hill. I also took a wrong turn once, but that is just getting to know a new route. I am also pretty out of shape, haven't really ridden a bike in 20 years, due to back issues. Of course no back issues on the T50.

Mark

Vicki C.

Not the fastest for me yet, but I am only two weeks into riding my T50. I was confident enough to ride to work today, about 12 miles. There were a couple places I had to walk up a hill, not because I couldn't make it up the hill, but because I can't keep a straight line below a certain speed, and there was traffic. Need more hill practice! Especially starting up a hill. I also took a wrong turn once, but that is just getting to know a new route. I am also pretty out of shape, haven't really ridden a bike in 20 years, due to back issues. Of course no back issues on the T50.

Mark
Hills are my weakness, too, over 8% and particularly if the road is rough or curves or there is traffic, and once I stop I can't start again on the hill. Need stronger legs!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The "names" have basically been dropped......

V20, S40, Qx100, T50......

But someone of the old guard we be stubborn....

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Hmmm. Build anything at a low price-point intended for mass appeal and go so far as to offer it in "black only" (colors are special limited options). Yer gonna have to deal with an obvious historical reference: The Model T Ford.

Take that reference head-on and call your widget "T". Sounds like good marketing to me.