New to me Q 559 & some questions

shep

I just acquired my first Cruzbike, a Q 599. It is a stock V3 with the dual drive.
One question I have is has anyone swapped out the light duty rack for a seat post mount MTB rack? I would like to be able to use my Rans panniers on a rack and cannot on the light duty stock rack, would like to find something less expensive than the Cruzbike touring rack.

Also looks like the place to mount water bottle cages are on the frame under the seat. Is this convenient or are ther better options?

Looking forward to the Cruzbike experience.

Allen

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Welcome Allen (Shep),

I can't answer most of your questions personally since I have basically only used my cruzbike conversion kit with mountain-bike frame (see my avatar - an old, old Cruzbike "version"). But I can say that the touring/commuting rack has received pretty high praise from those who have used them. Sturdy, suspended, and pannier friendly though the price is pretty steep if you can make something work from what you have. I use a front handlebar bag that has a map loop on the lid. That loop fits perfectly sitting flat between the top of the seat back and the top of the cushion and can only slide down several inches placing the bag suspended right at the top behind the seat. I have used it like that to carry up to 4L (1 gal) of milk or my lunch and change of clothes as I commute to work every day. If you use a seat post mount just check that rack or bags won't interfere with the tire even when the suspension is depressed over a big bump.

Water bottle cages can also be mounted to the back of the seat. I'm not sure about your model but mine has the holes either in the side of the seat back or in the back itself (and they could be drilled without significant effect on the seat structure). There also may be holes in the riser piece that goes up from the headset to the handlebar where a bottle cage could be mounted. This seems to be the location of choice for many.

If you have not ridden Moving Bottom Bracket (MBB = pedals move together with the steering) then it will feel a little bit awkward for a while but follow the

training videos

fit and adjustments
)

and instructions in the manual https://cruzbike.com/DOWNLOADS/CruzbikeOwnersManualRevP.pdf

and you will learn quickly.

Everyone here is a great help with any questions you have. Welcome to the Cruzbike "tribe". And for entertainment, an old low-budget "advertisement"

I am the second owner of a Quest. It came to me with holes drilled in the seat back; the cages fit neatly on the back of the seat. I can't feel the smooth headed bolts through the seat cushion. I'm still using the original light duty rack so I have no suggestions there.