New Vendetta

Kerry Kerr

Just bought my Vendetta and starting working on riding and getting used to it. I've been riding a Bacchetta Carbon Aero for about three years. I've had spinal fusion and the only issue for me is how to scoot up in the seat while stopping, Anyone have any suggestions?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Enjoy your new bike!

Most Bacchettas I've seen are set up with the handlebars pretty close to the rider.
Are you used to this setup?
Anyway, sitting upright in the seat is easier when your handlebars are not too close to you.
This way, both your arm and shoulder muscles can help your abdominal muscles pull you up easier and
there is more room for both you and your arms in the cockpit when you're sitting upright.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Kerry this is hard to explain but you'll get it the first time you do it right. On the Vendetta your feet are closer to the ground and the angle is different than they are on the Bacchetta. If you are actually stopping here is an elegant solution. Place your feet on the ground allowing the bike to move out from under you. When done properly your butt rises an inch or maybe more higher on the seat. The position is very stable and comfortable and has moved you out from under the cock pit. You will no longer be in what I call the helpless dying cockroach position. It also sets you up perfectly for starting as you are in a powerful position to push with your feet while sliding down into the riding position of the seat. I call this the glide and slide maneuver. Hope this helps.

Kerry Kerr

Thank you! That's what I'll be working on. It's feeling better, and I like being closer to the ground in this "learning " curve. First time I tried it, I thought , what the crap have I done! Ha but I think I'm gonna like it!!!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
First time I tried it, I thought , what the crap have I done.
Ha ha, this is common. Same for me, but by the end of the day, it was okay, this I'll work.

I recommend, stay off the Bacchetta until you've acclimated to the V. Give yourself time to get used to the MBB, there will come a time when it will feel completely natural and unnoticeable. Keep us posted.

Kerry Kerr

T
Kerry this is hard to explain but you'll get it the first time you do it right. On the Vendetta your feet are closer to the ground and the angle is different than they are on the Bacchetta. If you are actually stopping here is an elegant solution. Place your feet on the ground allowing the bike to move out from under you. When done properly your butt rises an inch or maybe more higher on the seat. The position is very stable and comfortable and has moved you out from under the cock pit. You will no longer be in what I call the helpless dying cockroach position. It also sets you up perfectly for starting as you are in a powerful position to push with your feet while sliding down into the riding position of the seat. I call this the glide and slide maneuver. Hope this helps.
ha
Ha ha, this is common. Same for me, but by the end of the day, it was okay, this I'll work.

I recommend, stay off the Bacchetta until you've acclimated to the V. Give yourself time to get used to the MBB, there will come a time when it will feel completely natural and unnoticeable. Keep us posted.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant

This is very good advice. Once you're used to the V, you won't have any problem jumping back and forth. But when getting used to it, just stick to the MBB bikes.

Kerry Kerr

Thank you so much! Don't know what it means or when you get in the "tribe", but if the feedback and help are part of it,
I'll be in!!! This bike ain't that bad, its starting to like me!!! Practicing what you guys have taught!!!

Difference's that are weird: foot steer, heavy front, egress, knees in front of handlebars. Difference's I like so far, heavy front(push, pull) just feels like I can lean on and not think its going to bend, love the seat position now that I didn't think the handlebar was buried in my stomach!! Thanks again!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
It's worth posting a picture of yourself on the bike so we can see if there's anything wonky going on.

(I very much prefer the handlebars to be setup so that I can fully sit up - but I don't have a V)

Kerry Kerr

Nearly 2 weeks out, I can say I've had a love/hate relationship with the V. Mainly, from not relaxing and counter steering too much with upper body. This week everything is getting much more comfortable, making adjustments to the setup and starting to be able to mash on the pedals and not feel like Im gonna lose control to the bushes. I can tell already this thang is gonna be fast.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Well your probably doing better than me at the 2 week mark because as I remember it I relationship with my Vendetta was more Hate/Hate at that point :rolleyes:

If you haven't seen my introductory thread take a look. Not only does it show that even the fastest guys have trouble learning something new but I has a few funny stories as well. http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/the-road-to-500-miles-in-24hrs.8915/

Keep at it and have fun

Kerry Kerr

Thanks man! The thread was great! I don't feel so "behind" now. What's crazy, Bob told me but, doubting Thomas that I am, I had my x-seam, handlebars off and just making adjustments along the way it's feeling mucho better.

I remember learning the Bacchetta that it took me time to get my cadence up to 95-100 and not have that drunk wobble, that common?

I can already climb in a taller gear than I can in the Bacchetta. It's coming around, not many bruises!!

Kerry Kerr

Rode on one of my routes today that I ride when I only have an hour to ride, uhhh was a full second faster on this Cruz thang! Cadence still not up yet but... getting better and smoother, still too much input it feels from my arms and shoulders. DEFINITELY easier up hills, and love that I can pull on the handlebars! I think you guys may be on to something here!!! HaAAAAAAAAAA!!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
It's easier up hill because it's easier when putting out more power, you pedal stroke is smoother. It's the lighter weight pressure on the pedals during easy steady efforts that will bring about your instability. It's the same for me when I do group rides and I have to hold back so much that I feel like I'm barely pushing on the pedals. With how many miles I have at this point you would see my easy pedaling instability but I can still notice the difference when I first ease up. It'll just become less of an issue over time until you don't even notice anymore.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Rode on one of my routes today that I ride when I only have an hour to ride, uhhh was a full second faster on this Cruz thang! Cadence still not up yet but... getting better and smoother, still too much input it feels from my arms and shoulders. DEFINITELY easier up hills, and love that I can pull on the handlebars! I think you guys may be on to something here!!! HaAAAAAAAAAA!!

If you haven't done the figure 8 drills that's your arm in put problem. You need do some sessioning to get those skills

edit: (if helps think of it like learning to handle a mountaion bike, it takes practices to get goo and that's not a bad thing once you realize you are developing new "emergency reflexs"

If you have done the drills; and you get too much arm input; that the handlebars are too close to you. Shorten the length of the boom about 0.5-1.0 inches so that the BB position remains unchanged but so that ther handle bars shift forward.

Last edited:

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Nice job Kerry. Much of what you are reporting is to be expected, it means you are progressing and in no time the feed back you're experiencing in your arms will only be a memory. Your speeds will continue to increase through time.