Newbie S40 Build Details

n316rv

Don't seem to be able to post picture. Maybe I do not have enough posts yet.

I have just completed an S40 built from a frame kit. This is my first Cruzbike and my first frame up build, so view as appropriate. All components came from Amazon.

I had no issues putting things together. The quality / finish of the Cruzbike frameset was excellent. Below are a few build notes.

The front derailleur braze-on mount does not extend low enough to allow proper height adjustment on a 50 tooth chain ring. Robert said, yeah it was a little high, but should not cause an issue. I have not ridden it enough yet to confirm this. Documented by several other posts on forum for other models. Seems like it could be easily corrected during fabrication of bike.

I have some neck issues and need a neck rest. I could not find a good fit with the stock neck rest. I had ordered a suspension adjustable neck rest when I ordered the bike. I have been able to adjust it to my liking.

I had ridden an S30 at the 2015 Recumbent Con and I had ridden an S40 prototype around a parking lot a bit that Jim and Maria had at the Smokey Mountain Recumbent Rally back in May, so I had very limited experience on a MBB bike. That being said, I had no issues and was able to get on the bike and ride away. I am riding in the neighborhood, but still doing some of the figure 8 parking lot drills though.

The SRAM Force shifters came with cables and housings. The shift cables are long enough. There is enough 4mm shifter housing to run the FD and part of the RD. I needed about an additional 10” of 4mm housing. I picked it up from the local bike shop. The rear brake cable and housing included with the shifters are long enough for the front wheel, but you will need a longer cable and housing for the rear brake. The Jagwire kit below will work for the rear brake.

The Velocity wheels used 6 bolt mount rotors. There was no interference with 160 mm rotors and frame.

Thanks to the advice from others on the forum.

-Doug Kline is correct. You will need two F180R160 Post - IS adapters, but the rotors and correct adapters were already in the box with the disc brakes.

-Doug Kline is correct. Review your FD roller BEFORE you install your crankset. You will likely need to turn the spacer around for better cable alignment.

-Joy is correct. A 116” link chain is not long enough for this gearing combination. You will need a few links from second chain.

-Jeremy S is correct. An 11 speed front derailleur will work with a 2 x 10 setup.

Components

SRAM GXP 165mm Rival 10 Speed Oct 50/34 Crankset

SRAM Force Doubletap 2x10 Shifters

SRAM Force 22 Braze-On Front Derailleur

SRAM X0 Type 2.1 10 Speed Long Cage Rear Derailleur

KMC X10SL Chain

SRAM PG1070 10 Speed 11-36T Cassette

TRP Spyre SLC Disc Brakes With 160 mm Rotors

Jagwire Road Pro Brake Cable Kit

Jagwire Inline Detent Adjusters

Velocity Comp Wheelset

Schwable Durano 700 x 28 Tires

Shimano PD-A600 Pedals (Standard Pedals Currently Installed)

Origin8 Eyelet Stub (front light mount) – I had a hard time finding a mount on the internet, so thought I would provide a name / source. You can also get this from Cruzbike (last item on accessory page)

Thanks
Alan

The front derailleur braze-on mount does not extend low enough to allow proper height adjustment on a 50 tooth chain ring. Robert said, yeah it was a little high, but should not cause an issue.

I don't know if this photo shows it clear enough, but a SRAM Force front derailleur has two mounting holes, one for 53 teeth and one for 50 teeth. You need to use the top mount, which you can kinda see in my photo. My gap is set about 2mm. BTW, to add a photo I just drag-and-drop, but the file has to be less than 1 MB.

upload_2017-8-24_13-10-1.png

IMG_6137.JPG

n316rv

Drag and drop. Duh. I called my self verifying that my Force 22 FD only had one mounting hole. I'll double check that again.
Thanks
Alan

joy

I may be missing something but if not and this helps.....I used a Force 22 front d and a 50/34 Rival crank and have no issues at all. Rival brifters and it shifts fine. We did have to bring it to a bike shop for a final adjustment because we couldn't quite get it dialed in, but the components were fine.

n316rv

SRAM recommends 1-2 mm (.040"-.080") gap between FD and tallest tooth. Even with FD as low as it will go in the slot, I still have approx .3" gap to tallest tooth.
Alan

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
After posting the "pix" request I said to myself, "Self, I hope he shows the RV in the background." :)

n316rv

I confirmed that I only have one mounting hole on my FD. While searching around on the internet, I found a 2015 & a 2017 SRAM frame fitment document. All the 11 speed FDs appear to only have one mounting hole and the distance from the braze-on mounting bolt to the center of the BB should be 141 mm for a 50 tooth chain ring. The 10 speed APEX has two mounting holes. The top one is listed at 152 mm mounting screw to BB C.L. for a 50T chain ring.

I took the bike to the church parking lot for an hour tonight. No issues. I think I am ready for a real ride. I feel like a kid who just learned how to ride a bike for the first time :). Trying to get the grin off my face.

Trapdoor2
I figured you would pick up on my airplane. Let me get a few rides behind me and maybe we can go on a Cruzbike outing sometime.

Alan

1happyreader

zen/child method
I took the bike to the church parking lot for an hour tonight. No issues. I think I am ready for a real ride. I feel like a kid who just learned how to ride a bike for the first time :). Trying to get the grin off my face.
whoo hooo,,, as it should be. :)
practice some stalls/ almost stop ,pause, and go again,:eek: for those check for traffic moments.

n316rv

13 miles last Saturday morning and 13 miles Sunday morning. Best climbing recumbent I have ever been on (but it is also the lightest). Only issue I'm having is hands got a bit numb. I guess I am death gripping the handlebars. I need to learn to relax. Also still not quite comfortable enough yet for top gear full speed. Still monkeying with neck rest a bit. I am officially a Cruzbike fan!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
13 miles last Saturday morning and 13 miles Sunday morning. Best climbing recumbent I have ever been on (but it is also the lightest). Only issue I'm having is hands got a bit numb. I guess I am death gripping the handlebars. I need to learn to relax. Also still not quite comfortable enough yet for top gear full speed. Still monkeying with neck rest a bit. I am officially a Cruzbike fan!

When fully rested and relaxed on the neck/head rest with your hands on the handlebars, are your hands slightly bent at the elbow or are they fully stretched out? Are your hands on the handlebars higher than your shoulders? Level or slightly lower is best. I find that if my handlebar positions my hands higher than my shoulders , then it also contributes to fatigue and numbness, in addition to pulling too hard while over stretched. However, that said, this FWD MBB recumbent format will work your biceps and shoulders. Therefore expect some level of sourness in those places until you build the necessary muscle strength in the arms.

You also need to give yourself time to adapt to the bike. 26+ miles is too early to judge.

Neck rest is the hardest to tune but give yourself time. For me , I find it best if it supports my neck just below the back of the helmet. For moderate seat angles( i.e.mid 30's to 40 deg), according to my understanding, it should just barely touch ones neck under normal riding conditions otherwise one may feel road vibrations all the time.

Lastly, that's a beautiful bike! drool! drool! :p

Last edited:
Trying to verify what type of brake mounts are on S40
If you get a change please post pic's of the Front and Rear Frame brake mounts

Thanks
Gil

n316rv

FYI - I used TRP Spyre SLC Disc Brakes With 160 mm Rotors
You will need two F180R160 Post - IS adapters, but the rotors and correct adapters were already in the box with the disc brakes.
Alan
Rear Brake.jpg Front Brake.jpg

Alan,
Great pics, just what I needed to see before I ordering my brakes .
Quick question did you use a BB86 with the SRAM GXP 165mm Rival 10 Speed Oct 50/34 Crankset?

Thanks
Gil