Nohands riding and starting.

Bentas

Very gifted fellow on a home built Carbon mbb ,more upright seat angle and lower bottom bracket seem to help, I like the idea of thumb shifters .

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Eric that was no hands ONLY in a straight line, and how many years have you been practicing???
Can you send in a video of a no hands turn??? OR even better a figure of 8 like John Tolhurst intro video, on the Silvio V1.0!!!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Eric that was no hands ONLY in a straight line, and how many years have you been practicing???
Can you send in a video of a no hands turn??? OR even better a figure of 8 like John Tolhurst intro video, on the Silvio V1.0!!!
The video ONLY showed a straight line. :p

I'll see what I can do. That was with just platform pedals and a pair of Skechers. Turns are pretty easy that way. I think I can do figure 8s without clipless - I'll find out...

-Eric

NeaL

Guru
I'm sure we've all seen on Roadie bikes with the rams-horn style handle bars how they'll often have dual brake handles for left and right; one on the leading curve of the horn and the other on the horizontal part, four brake handles in all.

Some recumbents have Under Seat Steering.

I'm just throwing this idea out there: What it would be like on a Cruzbike to have hand rests down to our sides with a 2nd pair of brake handles. That would probably be a great thing to have on a long, cross-country, non-race tour. Maybe good in a race, too, if the weight and drag concerns are negligible enough.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I'm sure we've all seen on Roadie bikes with the rams-horn style handle bars how they'll often have dual brake handles for left and right; one on the leading curve of the horn and the other on the horizontal part, four brake handles in all.

Some recumbents have Under Seat Steering.

I'm just throwing this idea out there: What it would be like on a Cruzbike to have hand rests down to our sides with a 2nd pair of brake handles. That would probably be a great thing to have on a long, cross-country, non-race tour. Maybe good in a race, too, if the weight and drag concerns are negligible enough.
Neil, the reason Cruzbikes climb so well is that you can use your upper body when climbing as the bars are in line from your shoulders to the BB!
Under seat steering puts you arms at 90 degrees to the shoulder to BB line, so you can not use the upper body to assist in climbing.

NeaL

Guru
Neal, [corrected] the reason Cruzbikes climb so well is that you can use your upper body when climbing as the bars are in line from your shoulders to the BB!.

I know. That's why they're so awesome.

Under seat steering puts you arms at 90 degrees to the shoulder to BB line, so you can not use the upper body to assist in climbing.

Alright. But I didn't suggest Under Seat Steering on a Cruzbike. I said "hand rests." A non-moving, non-steering place to rest your hands and, by extension, your arms. Since the title of this string is Nohands riding and starting, I didn't think it would be too off-topic to suggest where else those hands might be when they're not steering or helping with a climb.

Other recumbent riders like USS due to a preferred comfort factor. Hand rests at the same position would provide the same comfort. If the ride situation allows for needing only the legs for pedaling and steering, why not a 2nd pair of brake grips at the hand rests, if the bike were to have them?

Last edited:

NeaL

Guru
Another innovative idea: If a Cruzbike rider is, say, coasting down a long hill and wants to feel the cooling wind up his or her arm pits while putting the hands behind the head, but needs to have fingers near the brakes, how about an additional pair of brake grips at the head rest? They could be located behind the head where they won't contribute to drag.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Another innovative idea: If a Cruzbike rider is, say, coasting down a long hill and wants to feel the cooling wind up his or her arm pits while putting the hands behind the head, but needs to have fingers near the brakes, how about an additional pair of brake grips at the head rest? They could be located behind the head where they won't contribute to drag.
Wireless brake mounted on the helmet shipping March 31st first pair go to @Lief

CruzLike

Guru
OK, lets go to no-hands starting and riding on a MBB. Our experts say the pedal steer is just too much. Check out real life taken from the Laid back bike report during last years Spezi. Oh the Boo Birds are gonna hate this. Start the video at 1:37:52 and wait for it! Well worth the watch

And we thought @LarryOz was cutting edge with stubby handlebars. This gal talks about riding without bars. She was impressive with her slow speed control.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
And we thought @LarryOz was cutting edge with stubby handlebars. This gal talks about riding without bars. She was impressive with her slow speed control.
Pretty impressive. Amazing control and balance. I think it will become increasingly hard the more laid back you are in the seat.

jond

Zen MBB Master
OK, lets go to no-hands starting and riding on a MBB. Our experts say the pedal steer is just too much. Check out real life taken from the Laid back bike report during last years Spezi. Oh the Boo Birds are gonna hate this. Start the video at 1:37:52 and wait for it! Well worth the watch.

That French bamboo babe is no panda

Pretty amazing skill. Solid. No way I can do that

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The video ONLY showed a straight line. :p

I'll see what I can do. That was with just platform pedals and a pair of Skechers. Turns are pretty easy that way. I think I can do figure 8s without clipless - I'll find out...

-Eric
Remember to ride safely!!!
Only send in the successful ride, as we don't want to start calling you Larry!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
With practice one can do no-hands start on the flat or slight downhill. I have done it myself. Uphill start is a difficult without the handlebars. Climbing a steep hill or doing a powerful acceleration or sprint requires a handlebar to counter the pedal steer.

However, I must give credit where it's due! She is impressive, to build a bamboo recumbent and ride that well.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Going so slow, and not wobbly at all, she made it look like a trike.
It was very impressive indeed. She has very good balance. Not to take anything away from her but her seat is at about 40-45 degree which makes balancing a little easier. I do not doubt she could probably learn to do the same thing with a 10 degree seat. She would just have to practice and adapt. Some people just have a finer sense of balance that others too.