Power Meter Pedals and their perceived angle?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
When I run my garmin vector pedals on my DF it records my pedal stroke and tells me what portion of the 360 deg cycle I produce power. I assume that during the calibration when it asks me to pedal at 90 rpms that in some way it finds which way is up or tdc.

So the question, is the position of say 200 degs the same on both bikes in relation to the earth or do the pedals somehow auto rotate the angle table to compensate for the vendettas reclined seat angle?

Say the reclined seat angle is 70 degs different than the DF bike? Would I then need to see my power stroke at a 70 deg offset between the two bike in order to have the same pedal stroke between the two? Or would my power stroke need to be in the same range on the table no matter what my hips to crank location is?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Intersting. Not sure about the garmins; but the P1's and their Application have a heat map that shows the definite power zone. For me it rotates back about 30 degree, and it becomes more even and a greater part of the radius. Aka there a less pronounce recover/dead zone. Since both have Cycing dynamic for the pedal/power it would be interesting to ask both companies tech support if they alter there dynamics concept of the power zone or not. Now that ANT+ has ratified a "dynamics" standard for running and riding, we should see that stuff show up in a lot more application and cross product compatibility.... Still remains to be seen if it's useful; or eye candy

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Rotates back 30 degs? What two bikes are you comparing between? I didn't think you ever messed with DF bikes these days.

You'd have to compare the mean of the power arch or peak power arch which is much more narrow to get a better idea of movement.

My peak power phase on the V is 0-30 degs and on the DF it's 75-115 so about 75 degs offset which would mean the pedals don't rotate the angle table to match a reclined position which makes more sense in my opinion. Oddly the V's power stroke is 25 degrees shorter and the peak power stroke 10 degs shorter when compared to the DF bike. So I push the pedals harder for a shorter period of time on the V compared to the DF

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Rotates back 30 degs? What two bikes are you comparing between? I didn't think you ever messed with DF bikes these days.
bad head math's I was thinking "at least 60-65 back" and that cam out as 90-60=30... doing too much at the same time. Your descritpion match what I see in the app; but with the recumbent position seeing better use of more of the rotation; aka a longer "hot zone" in the heat map. Sadly that app doesn't record it's output because that would be neat to do and compare.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
In the Qring thread did we ever determin a rough estimate of how much the hips to crank angle changed between the V and a DF bike? I thinking about the BROL thread about best climbing recumbent and how they claim recumbents pull more then push when compared to DF bikes. If the V is 75 degs off when compared to my DF then I push and pull the same. If it's something other than 75 degs than we can determine whether I'm pushing or pulling more.

Those damn guys won't just go out and climb the damn mountain. They've got to quantify everything with a reason that's probably not even there.