Q ring upgrade - Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh......

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Thank you so much for posting that, it's really helpful.
I thought that 34 Q was less elliptical due to 110BCD.

That's actually true the above is straight math based. IIRC the Qring 34 actually bottoms at 33.3 same QXL 36, making the later even more attractive with it's greater range.
The 34 is the only one that's effected this way and why there is no QXL 34 in 110BCD

FWIW Rotor just re-did their website and they no longer list the Qring-34T as product. I think even they realized that it was an odd product

nontrovoilnome

That's actually true the above is straight math based. IIRC the Qring 34 actually bottoms at 33.3 same QXL 36, making the later even more attractive with it's greater range.
The 34 is the only one that's effected this way and why there is no QXL 34 in 110BCD

FWIW Rotor just re-did their website and they no longer list the Qring-34T as product. I think even they realized that it was an odd product

I'll switch from Q 53-34 to Qxl 53-36

nontrovoilnome

Most start that way; it gives you the cleanest shipping. But you can run them offset to get different attributes for climbing versus cruising
Here's why I ask that question:
"Why is the oval positioned differently for the inner and the outer Q-Rings?

The orientation of the oval is positioned differently for the inner and the outer ring because each ring serves a different purpose: inner for climbing and outer for time trialing or sprinting. We changed the orientation for the inner as your geometry, body position and pedaling changes when you are climbing (front wheel is up).

OCP settings changes: hardest part of the pedal stroke per each setting; measured in degrees below 3 o’clock. Most studies show that we generate the most amount of power about 18º below 3 o’clock. The list below shows the position at which the Q-Ring becomes hardest in the pedal stroke for the inner and outer ring based on the OCP setting number.

Setting #
#1…………… 08º for the 53t…………… 13º for the 40t
#2…………… 13º for the 53t…………… 18º for the 40t
#3…………… 18º for the 53t…………… 23º for the 40t
#4…………… 23º for the 53t…………… 28º for the 40t
#5…………… 28º for the 53t…………… 33º for the 40t"

ratz

That's pretty cool I don't think anyone has found that before. It was known to be the case but not documented.

For most riders with a correct fit on a V20 we find that 18º below 3 o'clock corresponds to about 70º above 3 o'clock.
Riders with short legs are going to favor #1-2 as a starting point and longer legged folks will be #3-4 due to changes in the angle of chain and how that effects when the chain engages the ring.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
You probably should mention you often remove the front derailleur and probably have 5 miles on your little ring :rolleyes:
Yeah, well there is that. Haha. The little ring is more like a little "parking place" for the chain if it where to fall of the big ring.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I installed my QXL 36 last night. I chose to put both the outer and inner at OCP 4 to start with. I figure I need to learn to spin!

3288-1259920122016.jpg

edit to add pix of the old Q34 (left) and the new QXL36 (right)

Last edited:
Is is good idea to test QXL 36 as my first oval chainring?
After a lifetime of only round rings I recently switched to the QXL 36 with Q 52. I put about 10 hours on the trainer and a 3 hour outside ride last weekend and definitely enjoy the system and have no regrets. Except that after seeing Castlerobber's new build, I wish I'd chosen the red ones.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Thank you all. Now I have to convince my wallet that I will spend another money on bike. (I am also thinking about Velogical dynamo as power source for lights and GPS on LEL.)
Another option is to test Absolute Black oval chainring, but it lack precise possition adjustment of Rotors.

Last edited:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
My V have got new upgrade. I have bought second hand Q-rings 36/50. Hope that I found my deadspot correctly. I have nearly same problem as Jason, my OPC #3 is side hole from the three and I lack OPC holes 4,5.

Attachments

• 2017-02-10 10.25.23.jpg
    2017-02-10 10.25.23.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 37

ratz

My V have got new upgrade. I have bought second hand Q-rings 36/50. Hope that I found my deadspot correctly. I have nearly same problem as Jason, my OPC #3 is side hole from the three and I lack OPC holes 4,5.
Looks like a correct start can you shot it from square on ? Hard to see the dots