QX100 Steering Mod

Rampa

Guru
Found a couple options. Not the cheapest, but look good and sturdy. I've always thought the upper sliding tube should be the fatter one. So I found clamp possibilities for either inner slider, or (potentialy) outer slider. I really want that T50 frame kit now! ;)

First the one for a 1.25 tube for those doing an inner slider, as everyone has done so far.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Eagle...rint-1-125-Black-Panhard-Bar-Clamp,80477.html
95035028_L_dabd04ea-a180-4826-a558-4d1cc9fb9305.jpg

Then a similar one for 1 3/8 that might work for a fatter slider that goes over the other tube.
http://content.speedwaymotors.com/ProductImages/95035028_L_dabd04ea-a180-4826-a558-4d1cc9fb9305.jpg
94035027_L_18521188.jpg

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Rampa and Tiltmaniac, you did the search and finding, and I will do some testing and reporting on the Eagle panhard bar clamp and the Kuryakyn clamp for the slider tube (I've ordered them) to see how they match up with several fork tube clamps that I have on hand. Be patient as both ordered clamps will take about 10 days for delivery.

Frisard

I would look at the upper sections of other recumbent booms. Check out Performer, and other short wheelbase bike boom setups.

Perftill.jpg
I like this idea. But, It seems it may be too long. Perhaps it can be adjusted to a shorter length. Beyond that, can it be bolted on the steer tube without creating issues for the boom clamp? I say this because the riser tube currently is held on with boom clamp. I supposed the riser tube could be cut off just above the boom clamp, and the folding riser bolted on above the boom clamp.
Question then, who is going to sacrifice their riser tube in this experiment. For now I just lowered my handle bars to improve visibility over the cables etc., with my seat back adjusted back to 35 degrees. Also, just ordered an Adem headrest to improve neck comfort.

Rampa

Guru
I like this idea. But, It seems it may be too long. Perhaps it can be adjusted to a shorter length. Beyond that, can it be bolted on the steer tube without creating issues for the boom clamp? I say this because the riser tube currently is held on with boom clamp. I supposed the riser tube could be cut off just above the boom clamp, and the folding riser bolted on above the boom clamp.
Question then, who is going to sacrifice their riser tube in this experiment. For now I just lowered my handle bars to improve visibility over the cables etc., with my seat back adjusted back to 35 degrees. Also, just ordered an Adem headrest to improve neck comfort.
It would not be suitable to use the whole assemble. For one, that is a tilting mechanism. Probably a bad idea for a Cruzbike. That was meant as an example of the upper section of a tiller being a possible light-weight solution. Notice the handlebar clamp is part of the upper section, like the Silvio and Vendetta upper sections.

Frisard

It would not be suitable to use the whole assemble. For one, that is a tilting mechanism. Probably a bad idea for a Cruzbike. That was meant as an example of the upper section of a tiller being a possible light-weight solution. Notice the handlebar clamp is part of the upper section, like the Silvio and Vendetta upper sections.
Why would a tilting mechanism not be suitable for a Cruzbike?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Why would a tilting mechanism not be suitable for a Cruzbike?
Common wisdom would be that the hinge will be a weak point that will degrade and eventually fail from the MBB boom forces. And probably fail in some dramatic fashion under load. That would be my guess. I think John T wrote some thoughts along those lines a long time ago.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
OK, I've changed out the two clamps that keep my slider tube clamp from sliding up or down the slider tube that I said I would do on my Jan 10th posting, I know 2 months :mad: but I'm not fast at changing out, testing, or riding - but I enjoy it all! Once I received the items I would juggle items around like puzzle pieces :D until I saw a picture fit. Then i tested it for 1000 plus miles. o_O I'll post something about my Strava use on another thread where I started to test bicycling apps.

I like the looks of the Kuryakyn mount, but did not find a way to attach it to the fork tube clamp. One of my goals is to find easily procurable off the shelf products. Also it is steel and weighs about 110 grams! But it's really a quality product and I may still use it in the future.

The panhard bar clamps are in the same situation as the Kuryakyn, but does not seem to be as possible a fit.

The climax shaft collar is a nice product, but is too thick to snug up to the slider clamp. Also it is steel and weighs about 110 grams. Would need two so that would be 220 grams. :eek:

Found a clamp similar to the climax collar, the TechMount 4G Handlebar Mount, that is aluminum weighing about 50 grams and snugs up closer to the slider tube clamp. :) It also has options for a couple of different mounts and water resistant cases. Also has a screw that keeps the case from shaking off at the attachment point as I rode down the road. :D I have had my phone fall off using several different cases attached to the handlebars, but luck was with me and in each case I grabbed it without crashing! :eek:

So the TechMount setup is what I went with and tested. My first TechMount clamps were black, but today I replaced them with chrome! :p

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/techmount-4g-handlebar-mount

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/techmount-4g-water-resistant-case-samsung-note

tmp_7914-IMG_20170308_135725981~01669583143.jpg tmp_7914-IMG_20170308_135814125~01-469940474.jpg tmp_7914-IMG_20170308_135949917~011912995420.jpg

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
OK, I've changed out the two clamps that keep my slider tube clamp from sliding up or down the slider tube that I said I would do on my Jan 10th posting, I know 2 months :mad: but I'm not fast at changing out, testing, or riding - but I enjoy it all! Once I received the items I would juggle items around like puzzle pieces :D until I saw a picture fit. Then i tested it for 1000 plus miles. o_O I'll post something about my Strava use on another thread where I started to test bicycling apps.

I like the looks of the Kuryakyn mount, but did not find a way to attach it to the fork tube clamp. One of my goals is to find easily procurable off the shelf products. Also it is steel and weighs about 110 grams! But it's really a quality product and I may still use it in the future.

The panhard bar clamps are in the same situation as the Kuryakyn, but does not seem to be as possible a fit.

The climax shaft collar is a nice product, but is too thick to snug up to the slider clamp. Also it is steel and weighs about 110 grams. Would need two so that would be 220 grams. :eek:

Found a clamp similar to the climax collar, the TechMount 4G Handlebar Mount, that is aluminum weighing about 50 grams and snugs up closer to the slider tube clamp. :) It also has options for a couple of different mounts and water resistant cases. Also has a screw that keeps the case from shaking off at the attachment point as I rode down the road. :D I have had my phone fall off using several different cases attached to the handlebars, but luck was with me and in each case I grabbed it without crashing! :eek:

So the TechMount setup is what I went with and tested. My first TechMount clamps were black, but today I replaced them with chrome! :p

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/techmount-4g-handlebar-mount

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/techmount-4g-water-resistant-case-samsung-note

View attachment 4446 View attachment 4447 View attachment 4448

Emeljay, I think you should receive a Rubber Mallet award for the longest time to a report and photos!!!!

But well done!
Those clamps look good, as does your conversion!
What size Samsung Note does it hold?

DavidJL

I should mention that I finally got around to changing out the top part of the BI-3 headset and replacing it with a conventional top cap adjusted headset. I do need to make a neater looking clamp, though what I have now works fine.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I did use my rubber mallet today to "assist" getting my crankset off so I could replace bent large chain ring with Race face 34x46 (was x100 34x48). So with just a little "rubber" the chain ring crank finally came off and I'm good to go!:)

The size phone that the case holds is about 6.5x3.75inches could squeeze in a little more. It is water resistant, I've tested it in several rains. It does allow touch screen activation through the plastic cover which is nice.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Another note: there are other cases using the ball joint, but the ball is a different dimension and not compatible.

The TechMount ball is 17mm in diameter.