QX100 Steering Mod

Leo

wp_ss_20170607_0001.png
Color me confused. How do you plan on keeping the power triangle without a connection at E (which is part of Clamp B)?

Unless...you plan on moving E to H? I would be surprised if the width of H matched the internal width of the fork @ E...but if it was close, excellent!
This is the best depicting that I did for the proposed assembly. Hope it is clear.

Frisard

I think it is easier to get from Performer directly. Why not? Or try Recumbent Bike Riders USA
Not easy to buy direct. They are not clear about how to Pay, except to say,"use email". Still working on it. RBR does not show tillerset as an item to purchase, so I sent email asking.
Sometimes it's not easy giving money away. ;)

DavidJL

Did have issues with shirt getting caught on original neck rest design. Redesign appears to resolve that issue and also provides some back support so top edge of seat is not digging into my back. Headrest2.JPG

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I also gave my DIY an Emeljay treat! It is indeed very stiff compared to a stem attached directly to the vertical steerer tube.

However mine is on a budget;) so I little heavier with a 28.6mm (1-1/8") steel tube instead of Aluminium. I could swap for the lighter tube later when I get one. I will also change the massive stem (110mm) for a shorter one, 40mm to be exact, currently on order from ebay.

diy-emeljay-detail-jpg.5382

diy-emeljay-treat-jpg.5383

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I also gave my DIY an Emeljay treat! It is indeed very stiff compared to a stem attached directly to the vertical steerer tube.

Thank you for the detailed photos. Do you have any photos of the steering setup before the Emeljay upgrade?

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Thank you for the detailed photos. Do you have any photos of the steering setup before the Emeljay upgrade?
Well, got some but not very sharp. Basically I had an adjustable stem facing backwards. It had a flexing noise whenever I put some force on the pedals or just leaning on the handlebars.

Before: Notice the two pivot points? One infront of the steerer tube and the other on the reverse stem. Even the 1inch steerer pipe was bending torwards me over time.before-mod.jpg

The Emeljay mod (Aka Silvio 1.0 style boom) is definitely very stiff. It's not just my imagination I think. The steering and pedalling now feels solid and very quiet. Now I wish my handlebar was a 31.8mm and not 25.4mm but it will do.

P.S. those are 650A tires (ISO 590). Quite common on city bikes . The donor bike for my DIY was a ladies city bike... I wish the new 27.5inch MTB standard had been based on these instead of the 650B (ISO 584) , but well, that's life. Atleast I can use 700c without changing my long reach caliper brakes.

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I wonder how much of the flex you formerly experienced was due to flex in the following
-seat tube used as boom
-seat tube connector - I would almost call this two joints by itself
-extended quill (is that what it is called?)
-adjustable stem
-extra pivot point (already identified)

as opposed to the new setup which has
-(self-identified) overkill steel tube,
-quill as close to bearings as possible
-very sturdy, stiff stems without pivots.

I wonder this because my conversion kit seems pretty stiff to me. (See my avatar. I have a serious stem and bullhorns retained with props to Hamish Barker from whom I purchased the conversion kit and components.) I wonder this without having ever ridden one with the boom improvement let alone a S or V and and keeping in mind my light-weight 135lbs. I still want to do an Emeljay mod even if the improvement is small because it is an improvement (and I hate to admit to any facet of a choice be made by looks except the very last, but it looks more aesthetically pleasing than the stick up from the headset.) Emeljay's while under construction looks better than the stick.

Cheers,
Ben.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I wonder how much of the flex you formerly experienced was due to flex in the following
-seat tube used as boom
-seat tube connector - I would almost call this two joints by itself
-extended quill (is that what it is called?)
-adjustable stem
-extra pivot point (already identified)

as opposed to the new setup which has
-(self-identified) overkill steel tube,
-quill as close to bearings as possible
-very sturdy, stiff stems without pivots.

Cheers,
Ben.

I specifically tried to isolate the flex and it was quite clear that it was coming from the extended quill stem and the adjustable reverse stem.

The seat tube connector diameter has not changed before and after the mod. It is 28.6mm. The original seat tube that is welded to the bottom bracket is quite thick, at 31.8mm and made of steel.

In fact, when I removed the original quill stem it was bent slightly towards me.

My theory is that the Emeljay mod aligns the boom and handlebars to the forces applied to the pedals which would otherwise act in a manner as to bend the extended vertical steerer tube.

Last edited:

psychdrsteve

OK, I've changed out the two clamps that keep my slider tube clamp from sliding up or down the slider tube that I said I would do on my Jan 10th posting, I know 2 months :mad: but I'm not fast at changing out, testing, or riding - but I enjoy it all! Once I received the items I would juggle items around like puzzle pieces :D until I saw a picture fit. Then i tested it for 1000 plus miles. o_O I'll post something about my Strava use on another thread where I started to test bicycling apps.
Thanks for doing these innovations and sharing the information about them. I'm a new QX100 owner/rider, and looking forward to making my own changes over time. The question come to my mind about the steering quality -- you initially mentioned that the mods made the steering less responsive. Do you still feel that way? Is that steering diminished, somewhat, compared to the vertical configuration, or is it just that it requires a rider-adjustment?