Rack solution for the Silvio 2.1

Ivan_Liew

We still have frequent talk about racks, but why are not more people considering the bike bags that bikepackers are using? These are becoming increasingly popular over racks. They have shown that strapping dry bags and 13L saddle bags to a bike is reliable and lighter than racks and panniers.

I have had my Revelate Designs saddlebag for over 1 year now and really like it when I need to carry stuff on my Silvio (and my DFs). With Silvio, if fully loaded it does make steering more twitchy.

Since Radical Designs banana bags have proven to fit well with Silvio, then strapping dry bags under the seat would certainly work. The nature of the Silvio seat and frame makes this very easy to do. An inexpensive option for this would be the Alpkit Airlok Dual 20L or 13L bags. https://www.alpkit.com/products/airlok-xtra-dual-20-litre

airlokxtr_dual_1000x1000_456_456auto.jpg

Last edited:

Martinius Berg

These Nazca bikes from Holland are very well made . Very nice pannier rack attachment to the seat. That would probably work on the Silvio to ?

baov

Looking at the new front page of cruzbike.com we have a picture of Mr Lief Zimmerman holding up his Silvio 1.0 with a old man mountain rack, look look be a pioneer. Does this rack still work on the Silvio S30?

Ivan_Liew

Looking at the new front page of cruzbike.com we have a picture of Mr Lief Zimmerman holding up his Silvio 1.0 with a old man mountain rack, look look be a pioneer. Does this rack still work on the Silvio S30?

No, I don't think so. Starting from Silvio 2.0 the rear "seat stays" were angled closer to horizontal and the seat back became lower, reducing the space for a rear rack. This is why the rack was no longer sold with Silvio 2.0 and of course the S30.

jond

Zen MBB Master
A one wheeled hitch trailer instead of pannier racks is a solution maybe https://www.biketrailershop.com/single-wheel-bike-trailers-e-158.html

Martinius.[/QUOTE

a problem with trailers is the added weight/different tyre size compared to panniers only on-bike. not to mention if you have the space you tend to fill it with nice to haves. of course every situation is different and for a flat land scenario or shopping trip a trailer can work very well. but not on a hill; down or especially up whilst say touring :)

I'd love to see people using/reusing items or homemade options for side bags or tailbags. I'm getting an S30 soon and plan on experimenting with this. A first thought is tennis racket bags as seat panniers. Could work.

Last edited:

DuncanWatson

I have been watching PBP 2015 videos to see what the Paris Brest Paris Cruzbikers are doing for on-bike storage. (see PBP thread for info).
I have seen a number of things. Moose is using the Apidura mid-pack for the big stuff and his custom moose pockets for small stuff (tools, rain jacket, brevet card). I saw the Radical Designs lowracer panniers (I own these), I saw what looked like another radical designs pannier setup. I also saw a plastic cube tailbox. Many versions of upright seat bags have been repurposed as well.

A Cruzbike dealer in France and what seems like an recumbent enthusiast Gabriel Mensi has successfylly attached a Tubus rack to an S30, scroll down the link for a pic: http://cycles-bentoline.com/accueil/

I've asked Gabriel what mods he had to make to mount the rack, and he said he would post more pics to his page soon.

Also note the studded 30mm front tyre which apparently helps him climb 14% gravel gradients. Sorry for outing you, Gabriel, I am doing this for public benefit, and also to save you time for your amazing tours!)

The rack seems to be attached to the suspended rear triangle which is not ideal, yet functional.

I am sure that a custom fabrication is possible which would attach to the main frame - perhaps at the attachment point for the titanium spring, and around the chainstay attachment point at the bottom - which would leave suspension completely unaffected.

A frame bag attached to the boom might also be a good idea. I don't believe that concerns about heavy steering or wind effects are justified... It's worth a try!

Martinius Berg

Hey Andrei P

I i am quite shore that the waterproof bags seen on Gabriels Mensi Silvio S 30 bike are made by Ortlieb Germany.

Thanks fore sharing Martinius.