Rigging Aero Bag on Vendetta

Bruce B

The BentUp Cycles Aero Bag is designed to slip over the back of a hard shell seat. On the Vendetta 20, the bag is not compatible with the seat and headrest as is. Here is one more way of adapting the headrest bar to carry the bag.

headrest-cage-mount-261.jpg
Headrest Cage Mount Kit from CruzBike.

IMG_0476.jpg
Headrest Mount attached to the headrest rails and two bottle cages installed on the mount.

IMG_0478.jpg
And two bottles in the cages. I used 20 oz. /600ml size bottles to hold the bag high enough to keep it off the tire.

IMG_0480.jpg IMG_0485.jpg
Just slip the Aero Bag over the two bottles and secure the anchoring strap around the headrest rails and it is done.

IMG_0462.jpg
Initially I had used two smaller bottles to support the Aero Bag but that resulted in a slight rub of the tire on the bottom of the bag. On the road I switched the larger bottles for the smaller and gained plenty of clearance as can be seen in this photo. That is one on the smaller bottles in the fabric cage of the Aero Bag after the switch.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Well that a novel approach in using a $139 bent aero bag for sure. It does look good from the side view in the third picture. I just have recently put the same bottle holder assembly kit on my V and am thinking that it could be more aero.

telephd

Guru
Nice idea and engineering Bruce! That is a slick way to carry 4 large water bottles and some gear. Im wondering if the weight might prove to be too much over time. IIRC ratz had one of the prototype holders develop a stress crack and fail. Bob? Please continue to update as your mileage builds.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Brilliant simple idea!!!
AND the bag is easy to remove!!!

This is what I like about this Forum!!!

A sewed on Velcro strap to the bag top around wrapped around the headrest top bar, might reduce the stress on the bottle bracket if carrying a 2 Kg load, and still be easy to remove the bag.

Bruce B

Thanks all.

A light load of food, a windbreaker and other items that are shed as the day quickly warms is my goal for the inside of the bag. For fluids, two bottles held on the bag should be sufficient for my winter riding. Next spring I may load all four bottles?

There is a flat loop on the back of the Aero Bag for attachment of a light. I put an cinch strap through the loop and held the strap across the lid tight enough to the point of collapsing the bag. There may be just to much flexibility of the bag both fore and aft for a strap to really help?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Nice idea and engineering Bruce! That is a slick way to carry 4 large water bottles and some gear. Im wondering if the weight might prove to be too much over time. IIRC ratz had one of the prototype holders develop a stress crack and fail. Bob? Please continue to update as your mileage builds.
Prototype used Plastic toppeaks arms in 2014. The final design that you can buy is all metal, and logged over 4000 miles on this summer 2015 on 3 bikes. It should be more than fine to do as Bruce did. The headrest bar itself is more likely to fail than the bracket from too much weight. Since the bracket has too inclinations for install you simply do as Bruce has pictured here with the arm pointed up and the clamp down low and you should be good to go.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
This is exactly my concern for any sizable amount of weight. I certainly wouldn't go hog-wild packing.

On a Silvio you can mount below the bend and the carrying capacity would be higher. On the Vendetta that won't clear the tire; but the Vendetta's not really a pack mule anyhow :)