Rojomajig (Shift Housing Loop Eliminator)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ok so as some of you have inquired about getting a Rojomajig I have one thing to point out that could lead to premature failure depending on how you attack the problem. So I'm buying these little red(actually white before I painted it red) pulleys with the bearings reinstalled for $11 a pop. The problem is I was lucky to stumble on these little prebuilt pulleys but the bearing in them is double shielded and not double sealed. Basically instead of the more common double rubber seal were used to they have metal shields that look like seals but leave a hairs width of space for a no contact fit. Shielded bearing can spin much faster(we don't need fast) but tend to alloy water inside during bike washing or even heavy rain riding.

I have a few options.

1. Sell them as is for $40 and trust you guys to care for them as best you can until they get stiff then replace the bearing with a sealed one for about $8 later down the line. If you ride in the dry and don't spray water directly at it, it'll probably last forever.

2. Charge $48 and swap out the bearing to a sealed type to begin with

3. Make my own Delron pulleys from sratch then instal a sealed bearing of my choice. Which is twice as much work so I'll still have to charge about $48 for twice as much labor.

I'd love to just direct you guys to the Chinese made $20 SRAM Rojomajig but damn if they didn't kill just a cool device in their lineup.

Let me know what you guys think.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Hmmm - $40-$50 bucks for that isn't worth it to me I guess.
I expect the rain/dirt/grime to wipe it out pretty quickly.

I didn't know sealed cable stops existed...If I do anything I'll probably head that direction.
OR - change over to MTB derailer setup.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
My thoughts exactly. All these little mods and one of a kind trinkets sound cool until you realize how much they would cost just to make a few. I'm sure the original SRAM item only cost a few dollars at most to bring into the states then it was a few middle men worth of markup.

One mod I'll soon be making to compliment my smoother shifting choices will be the elimination of the two cable housing stops on the fork leg. By drilling out the stops to 5mm I'll be able to run full housing from the brifters to the derailleur. With your current loop you then only have the only opening at the derailleur to worry about for contamination. I suggest Cruzbike change their fork legs to use one or preferably two brake hose clamps commonly found of mtb forks. You need the special continuous hose clamps to keep the housing from trying to sag and float around under vibration. I don't really think cable sag will be a big issue so maybe a couple round loops would be enough.
To keep the cable free of contamination I used SRAM's Slickwire Pro with its lubricated liner and seals for the rear derailleur. I agree there is probably no value (weight, compression, aerodynamics) in using cable stops for such a short run, but I suppose the long run to the front derailleur would benefit from a cable stop at the headset if you never adjusted the boom.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel_agents Very similar, maybe even could be used. Designed for canti brakes but...? I've got them on my cruiser to replace the 'noodle' on the canti brakes. Not as elegant as the Rojomajig but less than $20.

And...there's the old all-aluminum Avid rollamajig. Somebody is selling NOS ones on ebay for nearly $40 each.

Send your example to China...if you order a thousand, you'll probably get the price down to under $10 each...sealed bearings and all. Selling all of them might be a problem...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
That problem solver is actually totally different and wouldn't work for this. I have few of them on hand.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
This with the headrest clamp and my yet to be perfected wheel flop boom stabilizer would make for a trifecta of parts in the Rojo Racing line of Cruzebike upgrades :lol

we can start a list, if I get at least 3 requests I'll pull the trigger and make a half dozen more.
Let me know when you develop your anti-wheel flop boom stabilizer. :)