S30 disc 'fast' driven-wheel recommendations.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
My last wheel build used Velocity Ailerons with 32h drillings and a powertap hub.
It worked fine, but the consensus seems to be that they'd be considered slow.
Okdokie-- time to splurge on 'fast'.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for an aero wheelset (well, really driven wheel) for someone on the upper-range of the bike's (S30) acceptable weight. Disc-brake for the driven wheel.
Thanks in advance for opinions!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hope this helps
That looked so interesting I saved the link on my home screen. So they do a lightweight version with ceramic coated rims. If that doesn't get anyone's attention then the price might too $715 and with lightweight ceramic hubs. That in my mind will sell like hot cakes. I am very interested to see how these are.

I usually buy my ceramic hub , deep rim wheels from lightbicycle.com. They are good... especially the new tubeless version.

Last edited:

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I was looking at the ENVE 7.8 and the Reynolds Aero 65 DB, though I'm not thrilled about the latter's straight-pull spokes (from what I can tell j-bend spokes are just as strong).

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I have gone the route of inexpensive 86mm Chinese CF wheels.
I have had tri-spoke, and 86mm rim depth. Both have served me well for the cost - and have been nice and aero -
Last set were supposed to be tubeless ready, but not quite up to snuff and just about impossible to mount.
Once mounted though, the Pro-One tubeless (25mm & 28mm) did not disappoint. I also put inexpensive wheel covers.
Installed full ceramic bearings.
In my testing the 28mm Pro-One's on the 86mm CF wheels were every-bit at fast as Conti-4000 with latex tubes - just less flat prone for me - which I really like! :)
For me - I have settled in to mostly ridding the full disc cover on the back all the time and the 86mm rims on the front. I have disc covers on the front and at both of my last events had them mounted but took them off as the last minute because of the high winds. The few seconds that you might gain with a full from disc in windless conditions are in my opinion totally lost when windy, plus extremely hard to handle.
I am sure @rats will chime in when he has time. He is the one with experience with the name brand wheels sets. (I may be mistaken, but I think he new favorite is FLO).
The Parkers really like Boyd, and also Velocity, so maybe if Jim has time, he can tell us why.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Decided to go with some Flo 45s and build the wheels myself, since, despite this being a treat myself kinda thing, honestly, I'll mostly use these for commuting.
I'm curious to hear if this was a wrong decision thanks to the new model coming out, but, well, I have two of the suspended S30, so I'll use what fits that for some time.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Decided to go with some Flo 45s and build the wheels myself, since, despite this being a treat myself kinda thing, honestly, I'll mostly use these for commuting.
I'm curious to hear if this was a wrong decision thanks to the new model coming out, but, well, I have two of the suspended S30, so I'll use what fits that for some time.
Sounds like a good choice and economical enough to be the basis for eventually having too many wheels.

Jeffrey Ritter

I have the same question, now that I am building speed and capability on my Silvio 3.0. The bike is equipped with 142 mm hubs (with disc brake structure, though the bike came with rim brakes). Most of the recommendations above are for 135 mm hubs. Any suggestions on what might be best for "fast"?

counterpoint

For my Silvio 2.1 I also went with Chinese carbon rims as I could specify everything. Paid $450 shipped for the 35mm pair with disk brake hubs, tubulars. Recommended.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Well, turns out that the wind just doesn't blow me around much at all on the Flo 45s. This has me wondering if I should go for a 60 or 90 at some point in the future.
For now, I'll just enjoy it :)

RAR

I put 65mm on my S30, and haven't had any problems with the wind. It blows a good bit here on the coast.