S40 Build with Road Triple

jond

Zen MBB Master
Ak-Tux,

The wheels are 32 spoke with Compass Chinook Pass 700C X 28 tires. I weigh about 150 pounds and find that 32 spoke holds up well for me. These wheels have about 7,000 miles on them on various bikes. The tires are very comfortable on most road surfaces. I'll probably try 32mm when these wear out.

The bottom bracket is nice and high. I was surprised at how far in I adjusted the boom length to fit. I'm 6' tall and with 165mm cranks the boom only has about 2" of adjustment left for a shorter legged person. The boom looks like it would be adjustable for somebody with legs at least 6" longer than mine. At any rate, I was pleased with the high bottom bracket position.

Thanks!
Crane Fly

So it is the large chainstay?

MariposaLand

Thank you @Crane Fly for the behind the scenes of upgrading to the S40. I am a newbie to Cruzbike. I have a little over 70 miles under my belt since I picked the bike up on 8/17/18. I too am in a hilly area with some significant grades. I tried a 15 degree hill last week on my stock S40 and hit the wall about 50 feet up the hill. I realize that part of it is my inexperience but I would also like to try a triple on my bike without spending a lot of money. The standard S40 comes with a 10 speed sram double and an 11-36 cassette. I’m fine with the cassette. I don’t know enough about the XT groupset to know if I can replace the double with a triple and live happily ever after or will I have to replace shifters, chains, derailers as well. The 24,36,46 sounds like a good option. There maybe other threads out there addressing this. Anyone have some input to a new Cruzbike owner?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Maybe you can try 10 speed 11-40 or 42 Sunrace cassette first. Cheaper route. I have 11-40. Can't say I climb hill well, but I think it's my leg problem and not the bike.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Thank you @Crane Fly for the behind the scenes of upgrading to the S40. I am a newbie to Cruzbike. I have a little over 70 miles under my belt since I picked the bike up on 8/17/18. I too am in a hilly area with some significant grades. I tried a 15 degree hill last week on my stock S40 and hit the wall about 50 feet up the hill. I realize that part of it is my inexperience but I would also like to try a triple on my bike without spending a lot of money. The standard S40 comes with a 10 speed sram double and an 11-36 cassette. I’m fine with the cassette. I don’t know enough about the XT groupset to know if I can replace the double with a triple and live happily ever after or will I have to replace shifters, chains, derailers as well. The 24,36,46 sounds like a good option. There maybe other threads out there addressing this. Anyone have some input to a new Cruzbike owner?
I use a 36-46 double w 11-36 cassette and do fine on 15% - ok, I huff and puff a lot but can manage as long as pavement is smooth and the climb not too long. Old Kentucky Home Tour is tomorrow with the epic Pottershop hills that top out over 18%. I’ll let you know how it goes.

have a 52/39/30 up front and 10sp 12-32 on the back, that got me up solid 8-10% and short sections of 14% when on tour with about 15kg of luggage attached.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I use a 36-46 double w 11-36 cassette and do fine on 15% - ok, I huff and puff a lot but can manage as long as pavement is smooth and the climb not too long. Old Kentucky Home Tour is tomorrow with the epic Pottershop hills that top out over 18%. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Ok - report time.

Managed only first half of the OKHT due to a broken pedal but the first 47 mile stretch had over 3000’ of climbing. Their Ride w GPS profile indicates max climb of 8.7% but that’s based on Garmin Z axis data which are notoriously inaccurate. From actual USGS maps the steepest climbs on that route are 14.3, 12.3, 11.9 and several between 9.0 and 10.6. Managed several of the approximately 10% climbs ok early on and the 12.3 but then the fine rain/mist started so anything above 10% that is too long for carried momentum to help meant bail out due to front wheel slippage. Too little of my 195 lbs on the front wheel at that angle. Not carrying any gear since it is an extremely well supported ride.

Fortunately... or unfortunately, depending on how one views it, did not do the second half that includes the Pottershop quartet of very nasty climbs. Didn’t seem to make sense considering that all 4 of the PS climbs are steeper than anything on the first half. Would have been lots of walking up steep, wet pavement.

MariposaLand

have a 52/39/30 up front and 10sp 12-32 on the back, that got me up solid 8-10% and short sections of 14% when on tour with about 15kg of luggage attached.
Thank you @ElyDave. Did you build the S40 up yourself from scratch or did you buy the factory build and change components? What groupset did you go with? My last DF bike had Shimano Di2 11 speed and hydraulic disc brakes. I purchased the S40 with the standard build. There is a big difference. I’ll have to save up some money for the upgrades but I would like to have a triple on the front until I get my Cruzbike legs.

I bought a frameset on a trip to the USA, import of complete bikes as an individual is fairly cost prohibitive due to import duties and then sales tax on top. Full spec is in my blog, but essentially I stripped a road bike to build on the cheap in case I didn't like the CB - no fear there!

It ended up as
- Van Nicholas long reach caliper brakes with TRP levers - the levers and chain were the only new components
- Dura-Ace bar end shifters - friction left, index right
- Ultegra 52/39/30 chainset, tiagra front mech (the only road triple I could find - when it went kaputt on the road bike 6 months earlier)
- 105 rear mech, shimano 12-28 casette, since changed to 12-32
- drive wheel is Shimano R500
- rear is Exal LX17 rim with dyno hub, dyno light set up as well
plus the picky details of course