S40

Rod Butler

I'm new, just joined a day ago and will buy an S40 kit this week.
I'm in the UK and will be part of a Very small group here (call out if you're here!!).
This seems to be the busiest section, hence my post here. I will be getting the kit form and will assemble components here to hopefully finish this summer.
The S40 will be a long distance touring unit for me, hopefully with Rolhoff hub, Belt drive, Disc brake etc. A one time quality fit out that will last me a very long time.
The white board is blank. The parameters are, low maintenance and long lasting quality.
My hope is to update the build here as I go on this journey. I am reaching out to the 'Tribe' community for advice and links.
I've done long tours in Australia, India, Tibet-Nepal and Japan. The Cairo to Capetown is creeping up my bucket list and a Trans-Am would be outstanding! I started with a Brisbane to Perth trip back in 1979 so you don't have to be too gentle with me. ...but I am looking for a more comfortable/efficient ride with a lot less maintenance.
I wasn't entirely comfortable with my T50 purchase (for my purposes) and the S40 came out the next day.
It was an easy decision to change (thanks Lucia, the check's in the mail).
I hope that has spiked a bit of interest.
I'm luvin' this forum an if I could cut a ribbon I would now declare this S40 Thread Open.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Congrats. I will be interested how you get on with that rolhof hub. I was thinking of doing something like that with the t50.

The T50 is what I will offer any would be students that want the desire to go faster.

I can teach them and perhaps once in a blue moon do some maintenance (50 cents on a car wash) :rolleyes: - just dreaming

I have a Vendetta but I decided just to use race lightweight quality items.

I enjoy the maintenance as it always helps me beat my personal best.

I will also add it's worth going tubeless ... these cruzbikes go very fast. In half a second you will be going 10 meters.

So going tubeless will save your bacon.

Last edited:

McWheels

Off the long run
Now then, my dear old thing. You're building the bike I always wanted. I'm on the other end of the spectrum, got a V2k in the last throes of production, got a family member to bring the frameset over as checked luggage, and built a pretty respectable commuter. SA-8 Sp, 3N-30 hub dynamo and no end of other cheap components off eBay and where ever I could find them. But compared a Rohloff S40? That'll be amazing.

I might counsel against belt drive and instead go for a 1/8" single speed chain with matching sprocket and chainring. Bit heavier but it'll never stop or wear out. If I get into very serious long distances I'll probably consider that myself. And a shiny tarty hub dynamo too.

Actually the components I'll probably get as and when these expire are more S-A, but the drum brake 8-sp and a hub dynamo/drum brake aft too. Less to maintain and lasts longer.

I'm down Portsmouth way, my pin's in the middle of the harbour.

Last edited:

Rod Butler

...I was wondering how a bent would go on water:)
The belt drive is a 'wish list' item to be sure.
There was a post I read here about customizing the dropouts to facilitate the tension requirements but a eccentric bottom bracket option may have to be the way to go, if at all.
While I'm here and this should probably be in another thread (apologies for the lack of 'post' etiquette).
As a loaded touring machine there is no option for forward stowage beyond the mid-pannier stowage. Will this present handling/stress issues?
I'm drawn to the Extra Wheel concept and if anyone out there has any thoughts or experience on those,
...I'd wheely luv to hear from them:)
With me on board, on a regular touring bike, I prefer to distribute the weight over both axles as much as possible.

There's a guy called Chris Rishworth who posts on you tube on cycling around Australia.
He's on a regular bike and uses a belt drive, rolhoff and an extra wheel, and he really gives them some punishment.
If I could do something similar on the S40, I'd be a happy man, check it out.
Any touring cruzers out there?

McWheels

Off the long run
If you load up the S40 like it is in the pics, plus a couple of banana or hamster bags round the back of the seat I imagine the weight dist will be pretty even all the same. I'm front-heavy on a V2k, accepting the heavy 8Sp up front. So when I'm loaded a bit more it evens things out.

I use a surly chain tensioner instead of half-links or an eccentric, and the sprocket is 25T so there's plenty to grip onto.

Rod Butler

I'm just going to have to come down your way and check it out, I'll start saving, how about mid-July.
I'll get my people to talk to your people...we'll do lunch(?)