Sebring 2017 newbie

CruzLike

Guru
As I sit and daydream about future rides, I start thinking about the necessary gear and preparation other than the physical fitness.

I have one 24hr event under my belt but not at Sebring. Can anyone share their experience?

Is the ride a bring your own food and drink?

On road SAG support?

How bright of a headlight does one need? Is the track lit? Do you need to see where you are going?

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I could probably write a book on this.
Sebring is totally self-supported.
2 years ago this Feb was my encore 24 and at Sebring. I took "everything" and I mean "everything" I thought I would need. (except proper fueling techniques and ability to ride through the night in sub-freezing temps).
They light the track with little red lights every 100 meters or so in the center (except they move when people run over them) - I am really hoping they turn the main lights on one year.
In short - Get the best lighting you can afford.
I'll try and dig up my Sebring 2015 ride report and send it to you - you can also try and find it in a forum post under races. I'm sure it's there somewhere.

Are you thinking of doing Sebring in 2017?
From what I know - we should have a pretty good Cruzbike turnout:
Me, Kevin G, Bob and Tanya, Jason P, Jim & Maria to name a few. Maybe Hardy, Ben T. Anyone else thinking of going?

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
You mean they don't light the track edges so you can properly apex and ride the tangents?
Nope and thanks how I crashed at 23 hours 30 minutes in my 24 hours in 2015 - and tore my rotator cuff.
Good news is the mileage they give you credit for is if you are riding down the center of the racetrack.
Of course if you hit he apex's right you pick up about .2 miles each 3.7 mile lap.
I'm going to try and talk to the event coordinator to see if we can get lights this year - I for one would be willing to pay extra to have them - although I'm not planning on doing the 24 this year, so it doesn't really matter.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Is this how we run the track?
736px-Sebring_International_Raceway.png

CruzLike

Guru
Are you thinking of doing Sebring in 2017?
From what I know - we should have a pretty good Cruzbike turnout:
Me, Kevin G, Bob and Tanya, Jason P, Jim & Maria to name a few. Maybe Hardy, Ben T. Anyone else thinking of going?

I am thinking about it. No commitment yet, it is penciled in. One reason to be riding the trainer.

Days later, I think this extra length is incorrect. I don't understand why bikesebring displayed this as the track loop.
Jason: According to http://www.bikesebring.org/ they include a segment that goes off track at turn 6 and goes over to the front of the hotel. I guess that is where the timing gate is located.

Last edited:

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Put me down as a very weak maybe. Pretty sure Tiger Paw will be there (chime in any time Tiger). I'm just dealing with the fact that there isn't any racer genes in my body but the allure of the Pride of Cruzbikes and the fact that its still good training for randonneuring will probably draw me in.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Put me down as a very weak maybe. Pretty sure Tiger Paw will be there (chime in any time Tiger). I'm just dealing with the fact that there isn't any racer genes in my body but the allure of the Pride of Cruzbikes and the fact that its still good training for randonneuring will probably draw me in.

If you try and duck out; I'm going to kidnap you on my way through in the truck....

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I would like to add to the Vendetta Squadron but I can't commit until the week it is happening...I'd just be a "recreational" century rider anyway. No way I could do a 12hr ride...of course, considering my abilities, my Century might take 12 hrs... ;)

Hmmm. Its an 11+ hr drive from here to Sebring. Not too bad. I've driven to Tampa in one day before...almost the same distance.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Turns out Ms Daisy was counting on doing her first 12 hour this year? Not sure whats gotten into her. Looks like my status changed to a must go. That's 11 riders if trapdoor gets off the fence. Subtract the couple of riders who will end up cancelling for whatever reason and add the ones who haven't chimed in and we could be looking at 15 or more Cruzbikes. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Turns out Ms Daisy was counting on doing her first 12 hour this year? Not sure whats gotten into her. Looks like my status changed to a must go. That's 11 riders if trapdoor gets off the fence. Subtract the couple of riders who will end up cancelling for whatever reason and add the ones who haven't chimed in and we could be looking at 15 or more Cruzbikes. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Excellent Pluckyblond is also signed up to do the 12 hour; I'm working pit crew for her after riding the century; With two of us we could easily do pit work for 3-4 riders doing the longer stuff.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Part of the registration asks about shirt size. I am a euro medium. Does that equate to USA small?