Shine on you crazy diamond

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Jason, do you have a photo of the AUSTRALIAN Plasti Dip coated battery, and have you ridden with it in the rain?
VERY impressive battery life AND price!

What battery charger are you using?

You mean Chinese I believe, at least that's where I think Hunklee is shipping them from.
76E8B5A5-DC4A-49E3-BC6B-9FE8570D0A95_zps2iofqlq3.jpg

37B18E44-E6E0-4B41-9902-AA9DA51F9740_zpsartkyjq0.jpg

6123E025-DF23-4ABF-BC51-AE5634F7FFA7_zps7nfzj8ug.jpg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The finished product looks very impressive!
The Plastdip is Australian, not the batteries.
Did you dip or spray them?

That 8 cell battery fits perfectly on the frame!
Is that an eccentric bottom bracket?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I dip my batteries since the spray seems pretty thin and wasteful in this type of application. I can't say how many coats but I'm thinking it was 2-3 coats. The first coat will look super thick when you first pull it out of the container but it'll dry much thinner.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Oh and yes that's an eccentric BB on my Single Speed Mtb. This pic was taken before setting out on my 2015 New Years ride. I left at 7pm Dec 31st then road 100 miles with over 21,000' of climbing on dirt trails overnight to finish Jan 1 at 10am. I think I only used like 30% of the batteries total capacity that night. Today this day I'd call that night ride my most epic to date. The loop has been dubbed the Big Effing Perez loop for good reason.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Finally got to ride in full dark yesterday evening. Big thumb's up for both the Gemini Duo and the DS-500 lights. The Gemini Duo provides lots of light, I never felt I was outrunning its throw. Was able to ride nicely on the 'medium' setting.

The DS rear light is like sitting on a flamethrower. Got complaints from Bro' Don that even the low settings were too dazzling to follow closely. EMS blink mode kept him well back most of the time. Fun to run thru the tree-tunnels at full dark...lights up everything in my mirrors.

Mounting the Gemini on the fin: not optimal. Lights up my shoes as they swing into the beam. The chainstay crossmember is probably the best location but it is a little small in diameter for the o-rings provided with the light. I'm either going to have to find smaller o-rings or come up with an eccentric adapter of some sort. The one sold by Cruzbike may be the best option as it also moves the light forward (less likely to shine on my shoes).

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
it is a little small in diameter for the o-rings provided with the light. I'm either going to have to find smaller o-rings or come up with an eccentric adapter of some sort

Wrap the cross bar with a little handle bar tape left overs and then try it, you'll find that make it about perfect.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Wrap the cross bar with a little handle bar tape left overs and then try it, you'll find that make it about perfect.
I will give that a try. There is very little clearance between the tire (a 28) and the cross bar and I wanted to get some additional diameter so that the unit would have a bit more solid mounting. I'll try it stat (with tape) and then if that isn't stable enough, I'll fab an eccentric adapter out of a dowel, tape it in place and then add the light.

BJ686

I am running a couple of lights with external batteries (magicshine). I also have a garmin virb and a few extra lights that have internal batteries--both of which charge via "USB mini" inputs. I am looking for a cord that can connect the external batteries to these devices for on the road charging. Any ideas? Seems like this should be easy to find, but I have not had any luck. I'm not sure what the output cord/connection on the external battery is called, so that has made it harder to do a search for the cord I am envisioning, presuming it even exists. Thanks in advance.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I am running a couple of lights with external batteries (magicshine). I also have a garmin virb and a few extra lights that have internal batteries--both of which charge via "USB mini" inputs. I am looking for a cord that can connect the external batteries to these devices for on the road charging. Any ideas? Seems like this should be easy to find, but I have not had any luck. I'm not sure what the output cord/connection on the external battery is called, so that has made it harder to do a search for the cord I am envisioning, presuming it even exists. Thanks in advance.

You mean one of these?
http://www.action-led-lights.com/products/magicshine-mj-6086-usb-adapter

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I read through this thread after being directed over here.. Technology sure has come a long way!

I remember my first headlight, way back when I first started riding, was a cheap Cateye halogen and ran on two C cells, if you can imagine. Even in the pathetic shape I was in, I could outrun that thing pretty easily. It was more of a "to be seen by" than it was "to see by" light.

For now, assuming it still works, haven't checked, yet, I will probably just run my old NiteRider digital setup. I'm pretty intrigued, though, by the Gemini light. and will probably go that way, eventually. Is the Iris tail light worth adding on to the order, or are there better options?

Thanks for the wealth of information!

Mark

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Not sure any of us have the iris tail light to comment on it.

I use a couple planet bike super flash tail lights since they are found found in almost every shop and are know to just work with no extra crap.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Not sure any of us have the iris tail light to comment on it.

I use a couple planet bike super flash tail lights since they are found found in almost every shop and are know to just work with no extra crap.
That's kind of my way of thinking, too. I have some pretty decent, albeit older tail lights that are pretty bright. I'm not going to overthink it.

Mark

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I like to have two tail lights just in case 1 happens to die because you can't tell if your tail lights aren't working without looking back. Just a safety net

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I like to have two tail lights just in case 1 happens to die because you can't tell if your tail lights aren't working without looking back. Just a safety net
I do, as well. I have one mounted on the rack and one that goes on my helmet. The rack mount light I have is ancient, but works pretty well.

Mark

super slim

Zen MBB Master
With my new Silvio V2.2, the Terricycle Mount, for my Designshine DS-1300 Headlight, new clamps of 44 mm ID were not available, so I used a a helmet mount at the handle bars.
This was great as it allowed me to also mount the bike speedo to the mount, and after inverting the light, the area of blocked vision was reduced greatly!
2017-02-28 21.27.09.jpg

View of cockpit.
2017-02-28 21.02.39.jpg
This was great UNTIL I rode at night and my shiny oily skinned knees reflected a LOT of light backwards to me!
I then checked my Silvio V1.0 light position in front of the drink bottle and it is above the head stem, and the light just in front of my knees, so minimal light reflections!

2017-03-13 12.58.33.jpg

I now can ride at night and see where I am going.

2017-03-06 20.58.53.jpg

BJ686

Just saw that Cycliq has come out with new and improved Fly 12 front and Fly6 rear units with camera/lights. The Fly6 rear unit has been upgraded to 100 lumens (from 80) and the Fly12 has been ugraded to 600 lumens (from 400). Also they added better coordination with Garmin bike computers and smart phones. See DC Rainmaker link below.

I use an older Fly6 for camera purposes, but have never thought the light was bright enough for daylight use. Not sure this new version will change my mind. I have a Design Shine on the rear, so hard to top that.

For the front, I currently run a Gemini Duo light and an older Garmin Virb camera. Would love to be consolidate into a single unit for front/light camera, but am not sure if 600 lumens is enough for day time.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/cycliq-fly6ce-fly12ce-first-look.html