Short leg Short Boom mod Quest/QX100 Option 1: Shorten Boom and Slider

benphyr

Guru-me-not
This thought was started by reading an advertisement posted in the Marketplace:
Quest Q559 - $700 - Boulder, CO
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/quest-q559-700-boulder-co.11782/#post-138034

I was/am thinking of possibly purchasing this Quest but if the owner still has interest in Cruzbiking then better to help them become a member of the tribe.

So let's follow along my thought patterns:

Option 1: Shorten Boom and Slider

-cut down Boom and Slider by necessary amount.
-place shim if necessary
-re-clamp Boom and Slider and give it a try

(for Option 2: Change Boom and Slider to stem joint location see
Short leg Short Boom mod Quest/QX100 Option 2: Boom and slider just below handlebar
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/s...2-boom-and-slider-just-below-handlebar.11904/ )

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Detailed Explanation / instructions, numbered for clarity:

1.a. cut down one of the booms and if necessary the slider another inch or two,
1.b. cut contraction groove into boom to facilitate clamping, just like under any seat post/seat tube clamp,
1.c. debur, smooth, sand any sharp/rough edges as necessary,

2. put clamp back loosely onto inner tube (slider) above in right orientation so that you can use it later, painter's tape makes a third hand,

3. place a shim if necessary (apparently the inside diameter of the boom is butted so it has a smaller diameter by the clamp and opens out a bit larger diameter once you get to the main length of the tube. Common on bike frame tubes because it saves weight.)

4. shim: For a similar project we used a scrap of furnace air duct, a rectangle of length slightly smaller than the circumference of the inner tube (slider in your case), bent it around the inner tube (slider) to partially shape it, and then
4.a. inserted the inner tube (slider) with shim wrapped around it, into the outer tube (boom) OR
4.b. we may have inserted it most or all of the way into the outer tube (boom in your case) and then inserted the inner tube (slider)

5. re-insert the clamp,

6. tighten it up and give it a try.

Rampa

Guru
I would move the seat forward a inch, if possible. If the boom were much shorter than it is, they would have really poor traction.

Even just a block of foam behind the hips would do.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Here's the type of groove I was talking about in 1.b. The groove allows the clamp to squeeze tightly onto the inner tube.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-25_16-57-27.png
    upload_2017-8-25_16-57-27.png
    765.5 KB · Views: 6

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I would move the seat forward a inch, if possible.
I don't have a Quest - how much adjustment is there and does moving it forward affect the seat angle?
If the boom were much shorter than it is, they would have really poor traction.
Why would that affect the traction much, wouldn't minor change of boom only be a minor change in centre of gravity? I really am hoping this can be explained. It may be telling for my conversion kit as it is set at about 1.
Even just a block of foam behind the hips would do.
I like the simplicity. If you put the foam between the existing seat foam and the seat back it might be completely incognito. Webbing strap could hold everything in place.