silvio 1.0 derailleur hanger poor fit issue

Ed Hong

I recently purchased a used silvio 1.0, and after several trips to the mechanic to get the overall drive working perfectly, I think I may have an issue with the derailleur hanger.

I believe the derailleur hanger was installed incorrectly at the time I bought the bike, and it doesn't seem to fit in the correct location. So I suspect I may have an incorrect derailleur hanger part. I've included a picture below of my derailleur hanger and the hole between the Chainstay Dropout and the fork dropout where it is supposed to fit.
IMG_0993_small.jpg

The assembly instructions I got from this link:
http://cruzbike.com/DOWNLOADS/SilvioAssemblyNotes.pdf

In case it matters, my "certificate of Authenticity" on the bike states it was produced in North Carolina on 10 August 2007, and is one of the first batch of 12 for the commercial market.

The issue with the fit is that it looks like I would need to shave off the metal on the right hand side of the fork drop out to get the derailleur to fit properly. I want to make sure this isn't an issue of having the wrong derailleur hanger part for my bike before doing so.

Note that initially, when I bought the used bike, the derailleur hanger was installed not in the whole, but on the outside of the chainstay dropout.. this caused issues with the derailleur not being able to reach all gears.

I've noticed that a picture of a derailleur hanger for silvio 1.0 in this thread:

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/bent-derailleur-hanger-silvio-1-0.11182/

looks similar to but not look exactly like the one I have, it's hard to tell from just an image, but mine appears wider.

I'm using the forum because it has a convenient way to post pictures, and I don't have a direct email to anyone at cruzbike. I will also submit a message to cruzbike.com from their website, which does not appear to allow images.

If you have any thoughts about this, let me know!

Thanks.

-Ed

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The 1.0 experts will need to chime in; but a photo from 90 degrees to the left would be most useful to understand what's going on; the angle of the current shot makes it hard to tell what's going on.

Ed Hong

Thanks for jumping in and trying to help!

Robert from cruzbike support has PM'd me with an offer to sell (and send me) the correct hanger.

Because Bob asked, I am including another picture at a different angle so you can all see what is going on, bike is still at the same place as from the original picture.

IMG_0994_small.jpg

From this angle, you can see the fork dropout has a lower level inset on the left that is aligned with where my current derailleur component mid section would need to be aligned with, and it would be major frame surgery to file off the right side of the fork dropout.

As for Zzzorse's picture, it looks like he has a different model bike than mine.. he has a threaded hole on his chainstay dropout which is used for keeping the derailleur in place; my bike has no such hole.

The Silvio 1.5 assembly instructions

http://cruzbike.com/DOWNLOADS/SilvioAssemblyManual.pdf

mentions a screw for keeping the RD Hanger in place, so I believe he has a Silvio 1.5, not a 1.0.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
You need to spring the chain stay away from the fork, and slide the hanger in between the fork and the chainstay.
The OD of the hanger circular section, fits into a a circular cut out of the chainstay.

telephd

Guru
Looks like the right hangar to me. I agree with slim - separate the fork and chainstay, place the circular section into the slot in the chainstay and reassemble the fork and chainstay. You should be good to go.

telephd

Guru
Zzzorse, did you drill and tap a hole into the bottom of the chainstay (and hangar?) to insert a keeper of sorts? If so, that looks like a great solution for S1.0-2.1 models to keep the hangar in place during wheel changes.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
Zzzorse, did you drill and tap a hole into the bottom of the chainstay (and hangar?) to insert a keeper of sorts? If so, that looks like a great solution for S1.0-2.1 models to keep the hangar in place during wheel changes.
It came that way. I thought they all did. I wonder what iteration I have, mine has a numbered scale on the boom and the old FD hanger mount with 4 positions. The certificate decal says "This bicycle holds the world womens recumbent record for 12 hour distance and 100 mile and 200 mile times..."

Ed Hong

Here's another picture showing why doing what supe slim and telephone say appears not to work.
image.jpg

This shows the top part of the hanger aligned with the Chainstay dropout. The mid part of the hanger presses against the fork drop out and there is an include able gap between the chainstay and the fork.

Ed Hong

And another picture showing the other possible alignment, with the hanger flush against the fork drop out, over the bump that was preventing this before. However in this case, the top of the hanger isn't able to fit inside the hole of the chainstay and there's a gap between hanger and chainstay that looks wrong.
image.jpg

hurri47

MOAR PHOTOS

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108088721/file jul 13, 10 40 14 am.jpeg

Showing the current service part next to my old (and possibly original) bent hanger. Two differences pop out: the old part has been machined narrower in the derailleur attachment area and the new one has a small relief in the corner where it clears the dropout. The thicker part where the derailleur attaches still left me enough adjustment to reach all the gears. Keeping my shifter that much farther from the spokes was a bonus :)

The keeper screw would have been a good addition for me since i see a good amount of fore-and-aft play in the hanger. The quick-release clamping seems to let me pick where I want the hanger, but I will be keeping an eye on it to find where it wants to be.

-Dan

hurri47

Here's another picture showing why doing what supe slim and telephone say appears not to work.
image.jpg

This shows the top part of the hanger aligned with the Chainstay dropout. The mid part of the hanger presses against the fork drop out and there is an include able gap between the chainstay and the fork.

Ed-

I think you will like the new part, which has a relief in the area where you are seeing interference with the fork dropout. See my pic elsewhere in this thread.

-Dan

super slim

Zen MBB Master
You have the wrong hanger.
here are some photos of a Silvio V1.0 hanger.
A Silvio V1.0 has a straight extendable slider tube. See photoSilvio  side view.JPG

The width of the straight stepped section is 11 mm, the thick varies from 4.45 mm to 14.9 mmSilvio V1.0 hanger installed.jpg

the diameter of the circular section that is locked between the chainstay and the fork is 18 mm, with a thickness of 4.45 mm

Silvio V1.0 hanger side view .jpg Silvio V1.0 hanger top view 11 mm wide straight section.jpg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
What is your x seam, distance from the back of your bottom to the soles of your feet with shoes on? and also your height?
The reason for the questions is that from your photos, the angle between the chainstay and the extendable boom, that the handlebars are attached to, seems very low, and hence the lug on the fork bottom is interfering with the hanger.

Ed Hong

Thanks for the detailed reply Super Slim! My derailleur hanger seems to have approximately the same overall dimensions as the one you described.
However, from the pictures, it's clear it is not exactly the same part. The biggest difference is that both circular sections on my derailleur are around 4.5 mm in thickness, while in the pictures, its clear that the circular section that the derailleur attaches to is significantly (2x?) thicker than the other section that is locked between chainstay and fork.

I'm guessing my hanger probably came with my frameset originally, but never fit quite right due to quality control issues for the first few silvio's produced.

FYI, I'm a short rider, 5'5", with an x-seam of about 40". I was thinking that might contribute to the difficulty of getting things aligned. I think I have the bike configured at the minimum possible distance between the pedals and the seat, or at least close to the minimum.

I'll post again to tell everyone how the new hanger I'm getting works once I receive it in the mail and try it.

Last edited:

hurri47

The newer style hanger will reduce the clearance problem at the fork lug (see my comparison photo), but I think super slim is on to something with his chainstay angle observation. If I were putting this bike together, I would consider opening up the chainstay angle until the hanger fits like it is supposed to and then see if I can still adjust the boom to where I could ride it.

If I couldn't get the bike to fit me the way I wanted, I would be looking at (1) learning to ride with straighter legs or padding the bottom of the seat back to get me closer to the pedals, (2) doing some minimal amount of creative filing on the fork lug, or (3) selling the bike to someone taller. Five foot five isn't all that short though, and neither is a 40 inch x-seam, so I suspect everything will fall into place once the hanger is located correctly.

-Dan (5' 9" with 41-42" x-seam)

3WHELZ

Guru
There were two hanger sizes originally shipped with the Silvio 1.0. Also for those of us that installed the Campy 10sp offering, a spacer is needed to prevent chain from rubbing the frame while in the smallest cog. Excuse the dirty chain and derailleur in the pic, but his should give you an idea of how it looks installed. If you would like additional pics, please do not hesitate to ask. Dean

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 30

hurri47

There were two hanger sizes originally shipped with the Silvio 1.0. Also for those of us that installed the Campy 10sp offering, a spacer is needed to prevent chain from rubbing the frame while in the smallest cog. Excuse the dirty chain and derailleur in the pic, but his should give you an idea of how it looks installed. If you would like additional pics, please do not hesitate to ask. Dean

Campy ten-speed on my 1.0 Silvio. No spacer to be seen and like 1.5 to 2 mm clear between the chain (on smallest cog) and both the frame and hanger.

I haven't actually ridden on the new hanger yet - waiting for new chain - so I'll keep an eye on this area after I turn the bike right side up.

-Dan