Six day challenge (ride with cruzbike3kc in spirit)

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Sorry, can't...as much as I'd like to. I think it is a great idea.

I'll be playing "Mr. Furniture Mover" on Saturday and Sunday. Mother-In-Law is going into 'assisted care'. Miz Diane and I are "it" for the move. Maybe I can ride Mon-Tue-Wed-Thu after that task is done.

According to the history that Jim posted here:
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/history-of-recumbent-teams-in-race-across-america.11748/

As I write this, I don't really know if RAAM records are kept on shortest time or fastest average speed. Assuming shortest time:

The fastest recumbent team is: 6 days, 3 hours, 26 minutes at an average speed of 20.7mph, so it would have been a 3050 mile course.
This year the course is 3150 miles long, so they will have to average 21.4 mph to be able to post the fastest recumbent RAMM time. Doesn't seem fair, but it is what it is.
They will start on Saturday at about 3pm EDT and have to finish by about 6:25pm EDT on Friday to post the fastest time and beat out the all male team.

The actual category they are in has a record of 6 days, 12 hours, 43 minutes at 19.1 mph, so it would have been a 3000 mile course.
This year they will have to ride at 20.1 mph to post the fastest time in the mixed category. That would put them at the finish by about 3:40am EDT on Saturday.

Keep in mind it is a staggered start, so these times are not exact.

So...you could argue the 6 day challenge is Sunday through Friday. And every day that you can pull out your bike and ride will send good karma to the team.

Bill K

Guru
Today is day one, and as soon as I hit "enter", I am going to do the "Virtual Race Across America" workout on Trainer Road.
RAAM live tracking is up and they are currently 72.1 miles into the ride. Maybe I can "sprint" and (virtually) ride along-side for a while.

With 41 hot North Carolina miles today, my thoughts go out to the team, pushing as hard as they can in the heat of the Arizona sun.

Reactions: Suz

Bill K

Guru
Day 2... 1 hour of zwifting.
110+ temps: thats going to be with them for the rest of the week. It really takes its toll.
It sounds like they may be using an old rando trick: a plastic bag full of ice. Hang it around your neck and on your chest and let it melt. Works pretty well.

Day 3 got away from me, so I ended up doing 30 miles on the trainer this evening while watching the Cruzbike dot on the live tracker climb up Wolf Creek Pass, the highest point on the RAAM route. That had to be so hard. Just incredible.

Bill K

Guru
Day 3: 60 miles commuting. My ride is so flat and so easy, and RAAM is so not-flat and so not-easy, I feel so impressed and so amazed!

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Day 4. Tropical Storm Cindy (aka "Potential Tropical Cyclone DumpAFlood" per our local paper's editorial cartoonist) is creeping this way. Ditched the Tuesday night group ride in favor of a cruise closer to home. Nice-looking houses on the route, not-so-nice-looking sky.

IMG_1317 crop.jpg IMG_1318 crop.jpg

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Day 4. Tropical Storm Cindy (aka "Potential Tropical Cyclone DumpAFlood" per our local paper's editorial cartoonist) is creeping this way. Ditched the Tuesday night group ride in favor of a cruise closer to home. Nice-looking houses on the route, not-so-nice-looking sky.

View attachment 4948 View attachment 4949

I heard on the radio driving home from work today that your neck of the woods is likely to get hit with some big gully washers...

Bill K

Guru
Day 4. Another 60 miles of commuting.
Team Cruzbike has ridden 1600 miles to my 120 miles + 2 hours on the trainer. That a lot of miles!

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I heard on the radio driving home from work today that your neck of the woods is likely to get hit with some big gully washers...
Yep. We'll be on the east side of TS Cindy if she maintains her track. Less rain, but more wind and higher risk of tornadoes.

Day 5: my wife and I did 30 miles this evening. Skies were darkish, but didn't open up. Nice to have long daylight. I keep thinking the racers are each doing 100 miles more than me each day, and at full speed. Respect.

Although my distances have been shorter than I had planned this week, it feels good to ride everyday and is getting us ready for the Tour de Cure New England Classic next month. That will have a week of 70+ mile days back to back. I haven't riden in New England before. I'm not sure how the mountains there compare to North Carolina.

Day 6: working late. Couldn't do anything until 10pm so it was the trainer, but then cruzbike3kc is going all night which motivated me to stick it out and do two hours. Those guys are just amazing, and I'll be very happy to see them make Annapolis tomorrow.