So I picked up a Sofrider!

Rampa

Guru
I was pleased that I could immediately ride it after some initial seat/bars/front triangle adjustment. Even starting out in my rutted, dirt alley. Yay. :)

The front shock is stiff to the point of locked out. Rides fine that way, but am curious if there is a way to maintain it for proper performance.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
It's not a shock, it's just a spring.
If it's too sticky it may be rusty and or worn and may need some lube.

Rampa

Guru
Got the spring free and working! Paying a lot of attention to the higher end bikes, it was quite apparent that the seat is further back on the bike than the "utilitarian" bikes. So I did some modding and moved the seat a couple inches further back on the frame. Makes it be very upright, but also lets me set the boom at absolute minimum length for the highest cranks. Wow! getting the better weight distribution and super-short boom makes the bike ride way, way better. But I have odd body-geometry as well. Short legs, long torso.

It's just for around town, so I don't mind the upright seat, for now anyway.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Just check your weight on the front and back wheels when sitting in your riding position on the bike.
It should be 50%/50% F/R, when using a bathroom scale and some phone books to keep the bike level when weighing.