Steering damper/stabilizer

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
So I've heard. Just curious have u ever crashed vendetta. Your mountain descents amaze me. I took pic of Larry after CMS crash and almost didn't do the TT. Not afraid but cautious.

I tipped over once at like 2 mph on a climb. I hit an open crack in the road that got me off balance while talking with the rider next to me. Yes it can be hard to get out of the bike while on your side. I did crash my ridley at about 30 mph once due to a slow from tire leak that I didn't notice until it was too late. If I had had tubeless back then I'm sure I would have seen the white fluid or it would have sealed right away. I'm very in tune with my machine when I ride so I typically feel even the slightly changes much earlier then the average rider but I can still miss things.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
When I front flatted at about 20 on vendetta I "got out of the bike" quite easily. At 60 they might not even find you. I'm getting better but like Black hawk 40 is about my limit.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
I'm quite sure that having a *strong* flop stop will make situation of sudden loss of front traction (think tire blowout) less dangerous, exactly because you will not be as reliant on trail forces.
Of course, if it to happen during sharp cornering, nothing is going to help, but I've fell a few times on my 'conventional' MBB when I've been riding dirt paths or suddenly hitting a sand patch simply because trail forces you rely upon to keep wheel centered suddenly disappeared and I've failed to react in time to keep the wheel from suddenly flopping over under it's own (plus my legs) weight.
Flop stop is supposed to prevent exactly that.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I'm quite sure that having a *strong* flop stop will make situation of sudden loss of front traction (think tire blowout) less dangerous, exactly because you will not be as reliant on trail forces.
Of course, if it to happen during sharp cornering, nothing is going to help, but I've fell a few times on my 'conventional' MBB when I've been riding dirt paths or suddenly hitting a sand patch simply because trail forces you rely upon to keep wheel centered suddenly disappeared and I've failed to react in time to keep the wheel from suddenly flopping over under it's own (plus my legs) weight.
Flop stop is supposed to prevent exactly that.

In my case the flop stop exists solely for three reasons:
1) to more easily move (push) the bike when I'm not on it
2) to lift the bike (e.g. up stairs/onto a roof bike rack) without getting fingers slammed
3) to more easily park the bike without it falling over.

As someone who commutes nearly every day by Silvio, these are important enough for me to spend $2 on a big rubber band which does the job for a few months at a shot.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Dude that's the only reason I've still got mine on the bike :lol of course my system is a bit more refined then what you had.

Tubelss sucks when it doesn't work, tubes suck when they don't work and tubulars suck when they don't work. Funny thing is they are all great when they do work so pick the one you like and can maintain.
For me, tubeless sucks because I can't seem to pump them up. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere and can't get my tire pumped up. I know how to deal with tubes.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
When I front flatted at about 20 on vendetta I "got out of the bike" quite easily. At 60 they might not even find you. I'm getting better but like Black hawk 40 is about my limit.
I like to remind myself that when I cross 40mph that 32-35mph was all I could stomach on a DF and then I grab some brake and convert danger to waste heat..... unless it's a race where they won't let us on the podium and then.... errrrr. ... never mind.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
CMS time trial didn't list recumbents differently than dfs although they do have tandem and handcycle categories. It's great to see several handcycles on the track. When Larry did 18:52 He was listed as first with no asterisk but I think they were tearing his bike down looking for the motor.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I like to remind myself that when I cross 40mph that 32-35 mph was all I could stomach on a DF and then I grab some brake and convert danger to waste heat.....
My record down hill speed on the DF was 53 mph. It's always frighting going that fast on a bike, but at least it felt very stable. I would have gone faster if I could have, just to set a PR. At 40 on the V20, I feel like it could swerve out of control any minute. Two DF's ago, I had the same stability concern as with the V20. 40 mph was my limit then. The 28C's arrived today. Just need to mount them before the weekend.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
My steering stabilizer mounting rivet fell apart on the flight out to Texas so now I won't have one for this weekend. Not sure how I'll survive the weekend without the security of my savior spring :confused:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
My steering stabilizer mounting rivet fell apart on the flight out to Texas so now I won't have one for this weekend. Not sure how I'll survive the weekend without the security of my savior spring :confused:
News Alerts Recumebent wonder boy Rojo taken out by his chain ring while walking his bike through the parking lot....

For me, tubeless sucks because I can't seem to pump them up. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere and can't get my tire pumped up. I know how to deal with tubes.
CO2 inflator works fine for me if I lose a bead but haven't for a very long time and I carry a back up tube just incase that I haven't needed to use in several months.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
CO2 inflator works fine for me
I went through 3 co2 cartridges and all they do is blow out the side. I even have a special high pressure put, but it was the same as the co2 cartridges. Backup tube will work, but what's the point of tubeless if you have to carry tubes anyway. I don't want to go to a bike shop every time I need to fill up my tubeless tires. I know how to handle tubes. It was a nice experiment.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
I used to run (like 200 meters) to a nearby automotive tire installation shop (not sure how to say it in English), but than I've bought my own (discounted) 8-liter compressor.
Works fine, especially if you remove the valve core first to seat the bead.

All in all, either your rims, or your tires must be tubeless ready, preferably rims - bead locks are great.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
In my case the flop stop exists solely for three reasons:
1) to more easily move (push) the bike when I'm not on it
2) to lift the bike (e.g. up stairs/onto a roof bike rack) without getting fingers slammed
3) to more easily park the bike without it falling over.

As someone who commutes nearly every day by Silvio, these are important enough for me to spend $2 on a big rubber band which does the job for a few months at a shot.
https://steerstopper.com/
Here is something that I saw on Adventure Cycling Association monthly newsletter (ACA), that I am interested in due to Tiltmaniac reasons, AND can be easily disabled to transport the bike in the back of a Hatchback with the front wheel turned 170 degrees and the rear wheel removed!

Last edited: