T50 - whatcha planning to build.....

Cruzbike Chris

I built mine with a 1x11. Jenson had a good deal on the old style Race Face Atlas crankset. It came with an external bottom bracket and went on easily.

Brad, which 1X11 setup did you go,with? Going that way too, I think. My wife is not real keen on shifting anyways so 11 speed would be great if I can get a heck of a range and trigger or twist.

Brad R

Brad, which 1X11 setup did you go,with? Going that way too, I think. My wife is not real keen on shifting anyways so 11 speed would be great if I can get a heck of a range and trigger or twist.

Shimano XT M8000: 11-46 cassette, 11 speed rear derailleur, and 11 speed trigger shifter.

I changed the spacers on my bottom bracket to reduce the chainline at front sprocket to about 45mm. That puts less bend in the chain for the lower gears.

I am getting some difficulty holding 3rd and 4th gear. So I wouldn't say that I am 100% satisfied with the shifting yet.

I have a 36 tooth chain ring for now. Will probably go with a 40 or 44 once I can handle the speed and know what low end I need to get up my 20% grade driveway ( short, but steep for Michigan).

Last edited:

anotherbrian

From Robert:
The grommets are for the holes where the seat base and the seat top attach.
The clear washers are for between the set base and top (there are two extras)

So rubber grommets between the two seat parts (base and back?),

but where are the clear washers? "set base and top"? If only two are required, is that the seat back and the seat stay?

Cruzbike Chris

So rubber grommets between the two seat parts (base and back?),

but where are the clear washers? "set base and top"? If only two are required, is that the seat back and the seat stay?

Yes Brian, rubber grommets go into the holes of each piece of aluminum, inside the 4 holes for mounting. Then between the grommets a clear washer and then the bolt through all. Not a great pic but like this.
WIN_20170711_06_52_08_Pro.jpg

Cruzbike Chris

Shimano XT M8000: 11-46 cassette, 11 speed rear derailleur, and 11 speed trigger shifter.

I changed the spacers on my bottom bracket to reduce the chainline at front sprocket to about 45mm. That puts less bend in the chain for the lower gears.

I am getting some difficulty holding 3rd and 4th gear. So I wouldn't say that I am 100% satisfied with the shifting yet.

I have a 36 tooth chain ring for now. Will probably go with a 40 or 44 once I can handle the speed and know what low end I need to get up my 20% grade driveway ( short, but steep for Michigan).

Brad,
Only problem I have with this configuration is I need 140mm crank as the wifey is only 5' 4". All these start at 165.

Anybody know of a similar way to go with a 1x11 with a shorty crank? I really like the 11x46 for her and maybe a 34-36 elliptical is my thinking!

Edit: Already have a brand new Dura-Ace SM-BB7900 still in then box that I hope I can use...

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Brad,
Only problem I have with this configuration is I need 140mm crank as the wifey is only 5' 4". All these start at 165.

Anybody know of a similar way to go with a 1x11 with a shorty crank? I really like the 11x46 for her and maybe a 34-36 elliptical is my thinking!

Edit: Already have a brand new Dura-Ace SM-BB7900 still in then box that I hope I can use...
You can buy some cheap crankset and shorten it. I.E. Prowheel brand (http://pro-wheel.com/main/) or probably cheap SRAM crankset may be shortened.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Brad,

I'm sourcing an Origin8 crankset that is 155mm...but they offer 140mm. I'll be using an IGH (Shimano Alfine 8) but I think the Origin8 crankset should work fine as 1x11.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Is there anyone building T50 with 1x10 drivetrain? I would like to buid it as cheap as possible but 1x10.
I would like to build it with 11-42 Sunrace cassete and shortened crankset to 150 mm (not sure what crankset I will use) with 30, 32 or 34 tooth chainring. Can I use 11sp NW chainring with 10sp chain? I would go with SRAM shifting. Do I need clutch type derailleur?

comdoc

Well said, Frisard. Mirrors my experience. The welded tubes that receive the front seat base quick release were 2 mm out of true alignment. Had to rubber mallet the quick release into place; the threads were not damaged! But will be nigh impossible to ever remove. :/ Missing parts to be shipped. I'm also disappointed.

Suz

All this chatter about everyone's T50 builds is making me very excited to get mine! Carry on ... don't forget the pictures. Love the pictures.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
OK...sourcing a bottom bracket. Standard 68mm square taper cartridge type...but what width? 109? 113? I'm going to be running an Origin8 crank with a single 110BCD chainring...

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
OK...sourcing a bottom bracket. Standard 68mm square taper cartridge type...but what width? 109? 113? I'm going to be running an Origin8 crank with a single 110BCD chainring...

The effect is on the chain line and it depends on whose BB you buy, but 113 should always work; it may bias the chain to the right, 109 might be fine for a single ring but bad for a triple.

Everyone assumes Square taper is easy; rather it's more bomb proof; here's some reference to knowledge you need to pick and maintain a square taper without a bike shop.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cartridge.html
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cotterless.html

Rampa

Guru
I find external barings much easier. And much lighter! Light weight is nice when it's at the end of a lever. ;)