T50 - whatcha planning to build.....

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
While you're waiting on third t50 frame are u interested in a nice quest with triple and 26 wheels at $500. NC.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I have a LBS kid here saying he recommends only a single-ring crank for the T50 and 8 gears-max on the drive wheel.

Quickly scrolling through this post, I see a couple pics where someone has at least a double ring on the crank but I think in all of those, someone had a S40/v20 style handlebar front end.

Can someone tell me the short and simple answer? Can a 3-ring go on the BB, as-is, or do I need to deviate from what comes in the frame set? How about on the hub/cassette?
Yes ANY triple will fit, as the BB is a british BSA68 with external or internal bearings, as a clamp on front derailleur will fit the BB tube (35.6 mm OD).

Last edited:

NeaL

Guru
While you're waiting on third t50 frame are u interested in a nice quest with triple and 26 wheels at $500. NC.

I'll keep it under consideration. Interested in a Quest at that price, sounds good.
Right now, no. Too many other things are going on but once a current storm of issues has subsided and I can see where I'm at on the other side of things, maybe.

rx7mark

Guru
And no reason, if you want to go with a 1x set up, not to go 1x11, or even 1x12.

I have a SRAM GX 1x11, with 42t chainring, but sort of wish I had gone with the new 1x12 GX Eagle.

Mark

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Good luck with your builds. Not really looking hard to sell but just thought u might need a trainer for the kids. I should probably be looking at n-1 after cleaning out garage.

Frank Costantini

I'm running 2.5 bar (36psi) on 40-559 tires, which is the recommended inflation on the sidewall. Sunlite tire on Alrexrims MD23 wheels. Very comfortable.

42 teeth single, guarded crank ring with 11-34 cassette (I think). SRAM 8-speed grip shifter and SRAM X3 rear derailleur. Climbing my neighbor's steep driveway in the 34 cog was pretty easy. No wheel slip on bare asphalt. Got a little slip on some sand and/or pine needles on the side.

This is all "complete" bike spec from Kickstarter/Robert. Really nice rig. Waxing the chain is just about required as removing and replacing the drive wheel without a cage lock derailleur is a royal PITA.

I have a 58-559 Compass Rat Trap Pass that I bought for my velomobile. I'm thinking two of those would fit on the T50...

-Eric
Did the 58-559 Compass Rat Trap Pass tires fit on your T50? If so, I’d like to try them, but they are expensive, so don’t want to buy them to find they don’t fit.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Did the 58-559 Compass Rat Trap Pass tires fit on your T50? If so, I’d like to try them, but they are expensive, so don’t want to buy them to find they don’t fit.

Didn't try it but after mounting the tire on my velo I am even more interested in getting a pair to fit on my T50. I don't think fit will be a problem but can't guarantee until I actually try it.

-Eric

Brad R

Didn't try it but after mounting the tire on my velo I am even more interested in getting a pair to fit on my T50. I don't think fit will be a problem but can't guarantee until I actually try it.

-Eric
I have the Naches Pass 44-559 on my T50. I am very happy with them. On the front there is about 6mm-8mm (eyeball alignment with tape measure is reason for range) clearance on both sides and about 25mm on the radius. If 44 and 58 are true or at least consistent with each other it will either not fit the front or there won’t be more than a mm or two of clearance on the sides. There is a lot more room on the back; 12mm on each side and more than 25mm on the radius.

Unless you have another use for the 58-559, you are taking a bit of an expensive risk ordering one for a T50.

Good luck,

Brad

PS. If I had known that there was going to be so much radial clearance, I would have probably ordered 650b wheels instead of 559’s.

rx7mark

Guru
[QUOTE/]PS. If I had known that there was going to be so much radial clearance, I would have probably ordered 650b wheels instead of 559’s.[/QUOTE]

Me too!

Brad R

I have the Naches Pass 44-559 on my T50. I am very happy with them. On the front there is about 6mm-8mm (eyeball alignment with tape measure is reason for range) clearance on both sides and about 25mm on the radius. If 44 and 58 are true or at least consistent with each other it will either not fit the front or there won’t be more than a mm or two of clearance on the sides. There is a lot more room on the back; 12mm on each side and more than 25mm on the radius.

Unless you have another use for the 58-559, you are taking a bit of an expensive risk ordering one for a T50.

Good luck,

Brad

PS. If I had known that there was going to be so much radial clearance, I would have probably ordered 650b wheels instead of 559’s.

I was just looking at the Compass website. It says that the Rat Trap Pass is only 53-54 mm wide. This makes it seem more likely that it would fit on both the front and back.

Brad R

If I mount a front derailleur, does it matter if it is “high clamp” or “low clamp”?

I am thinking about going 2x11 with a narrow cassette.

If I mount a front derailleur, does it matter if it is “high clamp” or “low clamp”?

I am thinking about going 2x11 with a narrow cassette.
I may be wrong, but I bet you need a “road” derailleur. I think high vs low refers to mtb standards.

Brad R

I may be wrong, but I bet you need a “road” derailleur. I think high vs low refers to mtb standards.
I plan to use an MTB shifter with MTB derailleur. That will keep the cable pulls matched.

Are the cogs on an 11 speed road cassette spaced the same distance apart as the cogs on an 11 speed MTB cassette? If so, it should work for the rear. If I go two speed in the front, I just have to go from end stop to end stop. As long as the chainrings aren’t too far apart, that should work?

I appreciate any help if I am about to waste money on a setup that won’t work.

Thanks,
Brad

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Make it easy and use friction shift or gripshift will work ok. I use friction with a triple and it needs to be trimmed at times.

rhoffman

Yah, the Origin8 site has no chain-line info on their cranks (that I could find). I read thru all the Sheldon Brown stuff this morning...good info but no specific help there. Same goes for figuring out the Alfine 8 chainline...which could be any of three combinations of drive gear (dished in/flat/dished out). I grew up with square taper BB, no issues there...and on this bike, don't care much about the weight factor.

I think I will go with the 113 and see what happens. I can always swap it out if it is somehow wrong for this build. I have a 109 on my V2/k single-speed but it has a different crank.
Hi trapdoor2,

Did the 113 work for you? I am planning on using the same 155mm Origin8 crankset and was trying to figure what size BB to get. I will be doing a 1x12 Sram Eagle drivetrain. I did find this on Origin8's website, which I believe means a 107 spindle length, but seems it might be short. I see the full T50 comes with a 113. I was thinking a 110 to split the difference, but wanted to see how it worked out for your setup.

Sku: 21895 155mm 107 SQR JIS SIL 110x5B 510g 1

Thanks!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Two years late but the T50 build is happening finally. Sneak peek....

Here's the Velocity Blunt 35S, Industry Nine Hydra wheel for PB's bike.
(fingers crossed that all the specs on everything are correct because the boxes are piling up)
Actual photo wheelbuilder took glamour shots for their website after they saw how well it turned out.

Velocity MTB BLK-1.jpg