T50 - whatcha planning to build.....

DavidJL

I wasn't able to get a triple to work on the QX100 because the boom pivot was in the way of the small ring.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I have always had a triple on my Quest V1.0, which is the predecessor of the QX100, as that is how it came from Cruzbike!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I want it with a 1x drive chain. Perhaps with a big cassette that doesn't weigh too much. Might even go with something planetary but I don't want it to weigh too much and not too expensive as if I rent the bike out it might go walkies (may be a sneaky tracking device too).

I am quite confident the V would not be stolen but a T50 has to be a hot bike, especially the Green ones:D

Just been looking around decathlon and they have a Sram nx drive chain with a 42tooth 11 speed cassette that looks almost ideal.

The bottom bearing however doesn't look compatible but perhaps @Robert could say otherwise?

Just think with a little chairing upfront it would make the bike more stable. I am very aware that big chainrings catch the wind. It makes sense to keep the weight on the wheel too and not on the crank.

Last edited:
I think I have all my parts in place to build a 1x11 T50. I successfully took a 26" Mavic Crossride wheel, changed the freehub body to be XD compatible with a Mavic XD adapter ((MAV0521), put on a SRAM XG-1180 10-42t cassette, disc rotor, and Continential Top Contact II 26x2.0 tires. As mentioned previously in this forum, a 26" wheel with a 2" (50mm) tire is not much smaller than a 700c with 23mm tire, so I dropped one of those in the photo background.

I have my handlebar set up ready to go. I think that is everything I can do before the frameset shows up. I'm expecting this will be a very nice around town and greenway bike.

My full bill of materials is listed on April 21 in this thread.

P5100033_small.JPG
P5100034_small.JPG

This is my first experience with a 1x11 drivetrain. Does anyone know if I'll need to use any kind of chain guide? My crankset is a SRAM Rival-1 42t, which is 1x11 speed specific. If I need one, any recommendations? Would it clamp onto the boom? What size would that be?

DavidJL

I am wondering what size rotors will fit, whether it will be both 160mm or 160mm front and 140mm rear.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
There is no restrictions due to the frame, only the wheels if you have high 55 mm PCD spoke flanges, then there could be clearance problems with a TRP Spyre double acting caliper on a 140 mm disk non drive wheel, but OK on a 160 mm disk. The BB7 is OK on a 140 mm disk due to the fixed non pivoting pad being on the inside. The Spyre is a better caliper as BOTH brake pad wear evenly and flat, not like the BB7 where the outside pivoting pad wears evenly, but the inside fixed pad, wears more at the top than the bottom, as the disk is bent by the outside pad to touch the inside pad!

160 mm front, 140 mm rear is the normal, for flat or slightly lumpy areas, 180mm front, 140 mm rear, for descending mountains at RR speeds, and 180 mm front, 160 mm rear for the San Francisco area, if heavy loads on the rear pannier.

Brad R

I am thinking about using hydraulic brakes. The rear brake comes with 1700mm line. Is that long enough for a T50? What about 1000mm for the front?

DavidJL

I have a set of Shimano hydraulic brakes, and am wondering the same thing. Bike shop says that longer housing is available. From looking at the Kickstarter page, I gather that both rotors will be 160 mm, which makes things simpler.

RR=rojo racing?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I have a set of Shimano hydraulic brakes, and am wondering the same thing. Bike shop says that longer housing is available. From looking at the Kickstarter page, I gather that both rotors will be 160 mm, which makes things simpler.

RR=rojo racing?
YES

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I took the 3sp "Fat Tire Blvd Cruzer" V2/k out on the local MUT yesterday for a lovely 25mi cruze and imagined myself on a T50 (which this version of my V2/k closely emulates). I'm running Schwalbe 26 X 2" Big Apple tires and shifting thru a Sturmey Archer 3sp...allows me to pretty much top out at 12-13mph. I'm guessing that my seatback is angled about as far back as the T50's will be...only real difference between them is the shock-absorber on the back of the V2/k. I've 'upgraded' the fork to an unsuspended one. The 3sp SA gearbox is perfectly adequate for this particular trail...it is pretty flat but there are some entrances/exits to the trail that push my limit in 1st gear (ramps to the overpasses, etc.). I think the 8sp Alfine I'm planning for the T50 will be a better option...although I like the simplicity of the 3sp.

So, I'm toddling along on a sunny, 82F day with light breezes and I'm noticing how many people are making eye-contact with me, waving occasionally (I wave at just about anyone) and some are actually speaking (mostly 'beautiful day!', 'good afternoon!', etc.). It was "Mother's Day" (here in the US) and there were many families out for a walk or a bike ride. It just struck me as unusual to have so much interaction on the trail. I got to thinking that perhaps the more upright position (and slower speed) may be simply more inviting to other people. Certainly the V20 is all about 'getting down the road' and my Silvio-clone (the other V2/k), with its more laid-back seat (matches the Silvio angle) looks more purposeful.

I think the T50 as "beach cruzer" is going to be a lot of fun...and I'm really looking forward to getting mine on the trail!

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Im going to use Wald 8095 touring bars on my bike they work great on my Silvio 1.0 . Tires are 1.6 Michlin protek cross. Along with a triple this might be my only bike.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Did anyone ever say what the original T50 bars were/are? I would probably just buy a set of those...they appear to be fairly flat.

Did anyone ever say what the original T50 bars were/are? I would probably just buy a set of those...they appear to be fairly flat.
On the Kickstarter page it says the complete bike comes with:
  • 1-Handlebar: Origin8 Citi Classic seagull style, alloy anodized
I'm assuming that it is this one:
http://www.origin8.bike/product-description/?prod_model_uid=4981

When you look at the videos and photos they appear to be using two different bars. One is a seagull style and one is flatter up to the bends. I figured I'd start with the one spec'd in the complete bike until I learned I needed something different.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Doug. I like the flatter one (appears to have minimal rise). The Origin8 bar will be fine though. Looks like I may have a lot of Origin8 parts on this bike; crank, chainring, bar, etc.

Brad R

I have a green frame coming. Spank Oozy 295 rims are available in green. Should I take a chance on having two different greens clash? Or should I go with polished aluminum finish on the rims and just have the green on the frame?

Anyone have experience with Prowheelbuilder?

Thanks.

Brad

Radiosuraksan

Hello all, making my first post here. I am very interested in the T50, for a number of reasons. I have a bad lower back (degenerative disc disorder) and now issues with my knees (slight osteoarthritis) and one of my doctors recommended a recumbent bike. I am currently a very keen and active cyclist, but the upright position of my touring bike isn't helping my back and now I realize why my knees were hurting after heavy climbs. The T50, with the ability to use freely available parts, looks to offer a good solution to many of my current issues.

I have a few questions, though, and would be grateful for any input.

1. Will the clamp for the front boom, allowing you to use a front derailleur, come standard with the frameset?

2. Will the T50 be able to take freely available fenders and racks? Namely, I would be looking to use SKS Blumels 26" fenders with a Topeak Uni Super Tourist DX rear rack. Obviously there are a wide range of options for fenders and racks, but off the shelf components are usually cheaper and more accessible.

3. With the movable bottom bracket (MBB), how would you go about fitting an Alfine or Rohloff internally geared hub (IGH)? I like to have options, even if I mention a front derailleur above. I assume that you would fit the cranks to the rider, shorten a chain to match that crank position and then tension the chain with the movement of the front boom. Am I missing anything?

3B. Are there any known issues with using an IGH on a front wheel drive (FWD) recumbent? I have wanted to try an Alfine 8 for a while now, but I would be concerned about hills. Is anyone planning to use an Alfine 11 or Alfine 8 hub on their T50? Also, is anyone planning to use a hub dynamo on the rear wheel to power lights and a USB charger?

Thank you in advance for any input or comments you might have.

Brad R

1. Will the clamp for the front boom, allowing you to use a front derailleur, come standard with the frameset?

Welcome.

The clamp for the front derailleur is part of the derailleur. You need a clamp on for a 34.9mm post.

This is a standard option for most front derailleurs.